Seahawks Impressions from a forum newbie

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just saying... an offense can run the ball on 3rd down!
Don't know when I last seen that from this 25th ranked offense.
It's become kind of an enigma....???

In order to run the ball on 3rd down the offense has to be successful on 1st and 2nd down.

Too many 1 and 2 yard runs on 1st down making the playcalling and offense more predictable on 2nd and 3rd down.

Having said this, I do think we've abandoned the run too soon in some of the games. Which is easy to do when you're not getting good yards on 1st and/or you're down a TD or more. Which has been the case in some of the games.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Agreed.

Also, for offensive coordinators, you get more NFL attention and looked to be HC candidates when you primarily employ a more pass dominant offensive scheme.

Not saying Waldron is a HC candidate but he wants to showcase his pass offense to the rest of the league in any fashion that Carroll will allow.

The short pass game the OP reference in which he believes the Seahawks are best suited for, I also agree, only problem is Carroll hates the short pass game offense.

The man would rather run, 3 yards, 5 yards, 6 yards, again 2 yards, and again 3 yards, than throw for 6-7 yard quick routes etc. anything that will add to additional defenders closer to the box is what Carroll doesn’t like, because if Seattle plays with that let’s go deep mentality scheme, if a running back breaks into the second level, there may be an added chance, the tailback will get the advantage over the corners and safeties especially if they are lined up honest in off coverage or so giving space because they fear the deep pass.

That’s just my take, but I agree, Seattle’s offensive line is more set to play in a short pass scheme more so right now, than it is power football and play action deep throws. To me it explains why Seattle hasn’t thrown successful deep passes in the past few weeks. Seattle’s offensive line and whatever Geno has in between in his head has prevented Seattle from playing deep ball shots down the field more so than they usually try to play.

Just my thoughts.
The time it takes to get a Receiver open down field puts a lot more pressure on the O-Line to hold up under the Defensive barrage.
Getting the ball out quick is what helped Tom Brady to play well into his 80's. LOL

Mick063

Reaction score
1) Play design is improving. Waldron learned from the Ravens game that Geno can't be a sitting duck. Against the Commanders, I saw more plays designed to counter the pass rush than I have all year. It isn't a coincidence that the team rolled up some pass yardage as a result.
2) Ken Walker III in open space is deadly. Been saying it since pre-season. Been saying that they need at least four wheel-routes (or something similar) per game to Walker since pre-season. He needs a few plays designed as a primary receiver and not as a third read progression. Instead of tossing to him as a checkdown, design plays where the wide receivers are purposely running defenders out of a targeted zone with Walker as the primary receiver.
3) The team is deep at tight end and uses them effectively. They can't venture away from it.
4) The only reliable way for this team to get a deep ball launched is to use play action on early downs. When Waldron attempts to call the long ball without play action, Geno becomes a sitting duck. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
Hello.

Nice post , I generally agree with what you said . I wonder if Pete Carroll will ever change his philosophy regarding the Xs and Os. He's had success so I can see where he'd be resistant to go jng another route. This is probably also why he has trouble with younger coaches coming with a different mindset. McVay to be honest.

Anyways, welcome to our dysfunctional world.
14 years in Seattle, he ain't changing.

When they do try new things, here and there, the moment it makes Pete uncomfortable, they fall back into the old.

morgulon1

Reaction score

When they do try new things, here and there, the moment it makes Pete uncomfortable, they fall back into the old.
I see it.

Pete is rolling with the Monte Kiffin 1979
defense. That's why Pete's rocking the 1986 Supercut and why Shanahan and McVay swipe his ass off the back of his
ass-neck

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

To be fair, "the moment it makes Pete uncomfortable" is usually when said new thing doesn't work anymore. Like letting Russ cook resulting in six interceptions over 3-4 games, or going full 3-4 last year and getting bitch slapped in the run game all season.

But like I said in another thread, Pete's stubbornness is only promoting D-coordinators within his coaching tree. As opposed to going out and getting a proven bad ass coordinator who can install a much better scheme that takes advantage of the really young and excellent talent on the defensive roster right now.