Geno Restructure?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
And in 2024 geno will be a 34 year old qb learning literally an ENTIRELY new offense, underneath an ENTIRELY new team culture.

The time to move on was this year, but geno is the guy this year for better or worse.

Hopefully we draft a qb so we don't have LITERALLY the same threads next season before his even larger roster bonus same time next year
The head coach has never been an NFL head coach. The new offensive coordinator has also never been an NFL offensive coordinator. You don't see what the value might be in having at least the QB be someone who has at least been an NFL QB?

There is nothing stopping the Seahawks from drafting a QB just because they resigned Geno, so this handwringing seems ill placed.

The fact is, having a guy who you know can competently run an NFL offense is valuable to both the brand-new coaching staff and to any rookie QBOTF we hopefully grab in the process.

There is information and dialogue that Geno will be capable of sharing as Grubb implements his vision at the NFL level that a rookie would be absolutely incapable of doing.

And if there are growing pains for Grubb in adapting his philosophy to the NFL level, those failures won't be heaped, possibly unfairly, onto a rookie QB. This also buys our rookie QB time to learn how to be an NFL player. Geno will just be learning the playbook. A rookie is learning the entirety of the job.

bigcc

Reaction score
It seems to me that we see examples where posters relate to players as if they were plug and play icons. Expressing little interest in the give and take involved in getting 11 men playing as a unit and adapting from one play to the next. There is so much that simulations and fantasy games don't convey about the real game on the field.

I see the value in the grit and leadership Geno has built up over the years as the result of some very hard lessons. But I also acknowledge that there are others can't see that.
Maybe you should acknowledge that the qb that's 0-1 in the playoffs, and 30-36 overall record in his decade of nfl experience, might not be the grizzled leader you're making him out to be.

Geno is the best option to win THIS year, but he's a poor choice if we're building for the future,considering he literally doesn't have much of one here unless you plan on trotting him out in his late 30s.

Jville

Reaction score
Maybe you should acknowledge that the qb that's 0-1 in the playoffs, and 30-36 overall record in his decade of nfl experience, might not be the grizzled leader you're making him out to be.

Geno is the best option to win THIS year, but he's a poor choice if we're building for the future,considering he literally doesn't have much of one here unless you plan on trotting him out in his late 30s.

This is 2024.

bigcc

Reaction score
The head coach has never been an NFL head coach. The new offensive coordinator has also never been an NFL offensive coordinator. You don't see what the value might be in having at least the QB be someone who has at least been an NFL QB?

There is nothing stopping the Seahawks from drafting a QB just because they resigned Geno, so this handwringing seems ill placed.

The fact is, having a guy who you know can competently run an NFL offense is valuable to both the brand-new coaching staff and to any rookie QBOTF we hopefully grab in the process.

There is information and dialogue that Geno will be capable of sharing as Grubb implements his vision at the NFL level that a rookie would be absolutely incapable of doing.

And if there are growing pains for Grubb in adapting his philosophy to the NFL level, those failures won't be heaped, possibly unfairly, onto a rookie QB. This also buys our rookie QB time to learn how to be an NFL player. Geno will just be learning the playbook. A rookie is learning the entirety of the job.
Thanks for actually saying something of value as criticism of my point opposed to some other users.

In my defense, I did mention the rookie qb factor, but it seemed like a secondary point re-reading the way I placed it.

I'm fine with keeping geno this year, so long as we draft that qb mentioned.

I think it would be a MASSIVE mistake, to just push the exact same conversation forward a year though.

People can hem and haw, but geno is NOT the qbotf.... I'd kill to place geno's current talent in a 28 year old body, at which point qb isn't even a discussion in the draft.

Unfortunately that's not the situation

bigcc

Reaction score
Brings lots of experience to the 2024 campaign.(y)
Zero experience in the new offense.

Good thing 2025 qb will also have zero this way!

EDIT: btw guess who would have SIGNIFICANTLY more experience in the draft that would make sense to take at 16, hmmm

Jville

Reaction score
Zero experience in the new offense.

Good thing 2025 qb will also have zero this way!

EDIT: btw guess who would have SIGNIFICANTLY more experience in the draft that would make sense to take at 16, hmmm

The new offense & defense & special teams are under construction. It's my understanding they're skipping the combine in an effort to be ready for when players report. 2024 is the big challenge for everyone.

bigcc

Reaction score
The new offense & defense & special teams are under construction. It's my understanding they're skipping the combine in an effort to be ready for when players report. 2024 is the big challenge for everyone.
Absolutely

That's literally my entire point as to why building for the future (youth and getting them experience) is more important than trying for immediate success with dudes who won't be here (or the nfl in general) in 2-3 years.

You're making half of my point.

I'm in NO WAY advocating tanking (until mathematically eliminated from the playoffs), like I said I am OK with keeping geno AS LONG AS we draft qbotf.

Your whole deal seems to be praising all this perceived experience, so why wouldn't you want a qb with experience from working with geno?

I still think experience is gained better from playing than watching, but if you think geno is still qb of the anything more than LITERALLY IMMEDIATE future, I'd like to point you towards the massive drop off in play QB's hit around this age nearly universally.

Parallax

Reaction score
Absolutely

That's literally my entire point as to why building for the future (youth and getting them experience) is more important than trying for immediate success with dudes who won't be here (or the nfl in general) in 2-3 years.

You're making half of my point.

I'm in NO WAY advocating tanking (until mathematically eliminated from the playoffs), like I said I am OK with keeping geno AS LONG AS we draft qbotf.

Your whole deal seems to be praising all this perceived experience, so why wouldn't you want a qb with experience from working with geno?

I still think experience is gained better from playing than watching, but if you think geno is still qb of the anything more than LITERALLY IMMEDIATE future, I'd like to point you towards the massive drop off in play QB's hit around this age nearly universally.
Good luck getting any NFL team to deliberately tank. The players and coaches have too much riding on their success. I wouldn't mind if it happened though because we'd get a good shot at a real impact player. Just don't want to become one of those franchises that does miserably year in and year out. Seattle's had more than it's share of that sort of thing, though it's been a while.

Personally, I like mediocre least. Give me a dynamic team with the ability to make a deep playoff run, if possible, and if not, then give me a team that's in contention for a top five pick.

bigcc

Reaction score
Good luck getting any NFL team to deliberately tank. The players and coaches have too much riding on their success. I wouldn't mind if it happened though because we'd get a good shot at a real impact player. Just don't want to become one of those franchises that does miserably year in and year out. Seattle's had more than it's share of that sort of thing, though it's been a while.

Personally, I like mediocre least. Give me a dynamic team with the ability to make a deep playoff run, if possible, and if not, then give me a team that's in contention for a top five pick.
I didn't mean to imply that's what I expected... Obviously coaches/players aren't going to try to lose, similar with Schneider being on the hotseat (I think that played a huge role in keeping geno).

As a fan of the TEAM and not individuals though, once statistically out of the playoffs, I'll take a better chance at getting there the following season, over quite literally nothing more than momentary moral victories.

Towards the last point, I don't think geno has even a punchers chance of a meaningful playoff run, but also isn't remotely bad enough for a top pick with this roster.

If he was 26 we'd have time to build around him as I think maybe he COULD be that dude, but at 34, first time coaches, and a new offense, there isn't enough time for that to happen.

People have gotten WAY too used to the idea that 9 wins is a down year.

Parallax

Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply that's what I expected... Obviously coaches/players aren't going to try to lose, similar with Schneider being on the hotseat (I think that played a huge role in keeping geno).

As a fan of the TEAM and not individuals though, once statistically out of the playoffs, I'll take a better chance at getting there the following season, over quite literally nothing more than momentary moral victories.

Towards the last point, I don't think geno has even a punchers chance of a meaningful playoff run, but also isn't remotely bad enough for a top pick with this roster.

If he was 26 we'd have time to build around him as I think maybe he COULD be that dude, but at 34, first time coaches, and a new offense, there isn't enough time for that to happen.

People have gotten WAY too used to the idea that 9 wins is a down year.
I agree with you on all fronts.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I will campaign hard all season for cutting Geno before the 2025 season.

Everyone agrees this should be Geno's last season with the Seahawks unless he leads us to the playoffs..... Right?

Especially, if he has a mediocre or crappy season.

I don't want to hear about it being the new coach or OL.

If Geno sucks this season, it will be because he failed to learn the offense...... No excuse.

Parallax

Reaction score
I will campaign hard all season for cutting Geno before the 2025 season.

Everyone agrees this should be Geno's last season with the Seahawks unless he leads us to the playoffs..... Right?

Especially, if he has a mediocre or crappy season.

I don't want to hear about it being the new coach or OL.

If Geno sucks this season, it will be because he failed to learn the offense...... No excuse.
I'd not be any happier with a Wildcard loss. If he leads with the kind of competence that makes this team a Superbowl contender, we'll of course reconsider. But that seems unlikely. Even under Grubb and Macdonald.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I'd not be any happier with a Wildcard loss. If he leads with the kind of competence that makes this team a Superbowl contender, we'll of course reconsider. But that seems unlikely. Even under Grubb and Macdonald.
Netizens ran Russell out of town for less.

Parallax

Reaction score
Search through the archives...... There were several posters on here who wanted Russ gone.
Sure. I remember that. But he didn't leave because of fans. He left because he wanted to win another Superbowl and he thought Carroll was holding him back. Obviously, that wasn't true. I'm grateful he forced his way out because he had lost a step. We were lucky to get the haul we did.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Sure. I remember that. But he didn't leave because of fans. He left because he wanted to win another Superbowl and he thought Carroll was holding him back. Obviously, that wasn't true. I'm grateful he forced his way out because he had lost a step. We were lucky to get the haul we did.
He lost a step one year. His last.

Look at the win/loss record..... That is all that matters.

Parallax

Reaction score
He lost a step one year. His last.

Look at the win/loss record..... That is all that matters.
He was also playing heavy. I assumed to try to limit injury but it seemed to slow him down. This last season, he played slimmer again and was faster. Not the guy he was in 2020 but closer. No longer a top 5 to top 10 QB but decent. Not sure why Payton's chasing him out of town.