Geno restructure could be to trade him.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Seahawks could be working to trade Smith to another team, and the interested party was either not looking to pay $22.5M, or potentially could not fit that amount into their present salary cap situation. Prior to the restructure, had a team traded for Smith before his roster bonus is due, the acquiring team would have been on the hook for a $22.5M cap hit. Now, an acquiring team would only be responsible for a cap hit of $12.9M, which would be Smith’s base salary and his workout bonus.

In addition, just as has been seen with several other trades in recent years, it’s possible the Seahawks converted the roster bonus to signing bonus at the request of an acquiring team. When the Los Angeles Rams traded for Von Miller, they sent extra draft compensation to the Denver Broncos in order for the Broncos to convert $9M of base salary to signing bonus. Similarly, when the New York Giants traded Leonard Williams to the Seahawks last fall, the Giants converted $9,352,778 of base salary to signing bonus in order to lower Williams’ cap hit for the Hawks. So, for those keeping score at home, if the Rams sent the Broncos an extra second round pick in the trade in exchange for reducing Miller’s cap hit by $9M, and the Seahawks sent the Giants an extra second round pick for reducing Williams’ cap hit by $9.353M, what would be the additional draft pick compensation Seattle could potentially be in line to demand in exchange for having lowered Smith’s cap hit by $9.6M?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Investment Disclaimer: Past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

bigcc

Reaction score
I think we should all get adjusted to seeing Geno back there.

Cool with me!
Yup, we'll know for sure on the 13th the purpose of the Restructure (start of free agency when trades can be made official).

Of course he could still be traded before/during the draft, but we'll know the main purpose of the Restructure on the 13th

I'd be stunned if he's not on the team, which I'm fine with, but I really don't think he has much of a market whatsoever