Geno seems to be regressing

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
And who do they trade up with? Too expensive to move to 1. 2 Hou will take a QB. 3 Ari won't trade with us so we can get a franchise QB. 4 Indy takes a QB. Only hope is that one of the two teams is enamored with Levis over Stroud. IMO.

Nobody has any idea what the Bears might take. Maybe it is possible, maybe not.

Geno isn’t the long-term answer and paying him $30MM / year seems crazy to me.

The Seahawks likely will not be in this position again anytime soon.I don’t know if they think that Young or Stroud is worth the expense or not but if so, I’d like to see them make the move. The $30MM they would save by not having a Geno contract, could be used to fill some holes via free agency.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What are the chances Geno and the Oline get better next year? Some of Geno's later season regression seems due to pressure. Even Aaron looked like shite with pressure. I realize he's been playign for 10 years, but a season of starting has to teach you some things.

I can't answer your question about the O-line without a draft and free agent signing list.

But I can answer about Geno. I think he is what he is, an above average QB that has developed under Pete and the Hawks to be a top 10 QB in the league, but needs a productive run game and good defense to alleviate the pressure on him to be perfect to keep us in games. Which IMO is where this issue with bad decision making stems from with Geno.

If people disagree, not sure what they're seeing that says Geno can't play like this for another couple of years as we hopefully find our next young QB.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Jalen Ramsey is pretty good.

Geno is only 32, not 40.

His last 4 games were some of his worst. Is that regression? A return to form? Or just a slump?

The fact is that he ended the season with a 100 point rating and is the leader of this team.

Unless you're in love with a QB in this year's draft, letting him walk would be disastrous.

Jville

Reaction score
Plus

Coach Carroll stated, during his post game press conference, his desire to make an effort to resign both Smith and Lock.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, the difference between #4 and #5 looks huge as of right now. A lot will change from now until draft day, and there are still a handful of guys who could end up making a jump into the top four with a good draft process. I wouldn't be shocked if Carter in particular ended up falling a bit further than people think right now as people start scrutinizing more closely.

Of course the big unknown will be how much the FO likes the QBs. If a QB is available at 5 that they love then they should draft them.

Right. Did anyone watch Carter in the game against OSU? Pretty sure that game was not helpful for his brand.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
What are the chances Geno and the Oline get better next year? Some of Geno's later season regression seems due to pressure. Even Aaron looked like shite with pressure. I realize he's been playign for 10 years, but a season of starting has to teach you some things.
My guess, if Geno is resigned is that he plays pretty much like he has this year. A lot will depend on the maturation of the o line. The tackles now have a year under their belt and will have at least one game of playoff experience. Much depends on how they adress the interior o line. Free agents?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I like Bryce Young. I think his field vision is the best in the draft, I don't think his measurables are there, he's pretty slight. He also throws on his backfoot a lot and can really fall into some nasty footwork at times. He's NFL ready in his head though. Stroud is more Sunday ready but I don't think his ceiling is Young's (also, probably not Young's floor). OSU had some crazy good receivers who made Stroud's life easier. Levis short arms it.

Honestly, I either want Bryce Young, Hendon Hooker or no one besides Geno.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Nice!

Also ....... Receivers, and the precision with which they run patterns, are an important factor for an error free passing game. Steve Raible commented during the broadcast that Geno and Dk appeared to him to be out of sync.

Coverage and pass rush are also outcome factors.
There seems to be a level of miscommunication with DK and Geno, yeah. I don't actually know the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the biggest chunk of Geno's INTs were thrown DK's way.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Um, did you see that first half yesterday? He was BRUTAL.

However, he made up for it plenty in the 4th quarter and OT. Something we needed from him in a big game.
As far as him and DK, it's funny how DK almost ALWAYS gets all the blame. Yeah, I'm sure it's DK who kept throwing the ball right to Ramsey and other defenders.

Even Geno himself said that he has to be better. I love that out of him.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Early on, Geno was a beneficiary of an offensive line that had some elite young talent and was playing very well. As the season dragged on they got taken down by injuries and teams learned they could confuse the rookies with zone blitz looks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even Geno himself said that he has to be better. I love that out of him.

This is something that's kind of been lost in this discussion, Geno always pointing the finger at himself, and not his coaches or teammates like his predecessor did at times.

Probably why he's such a well liked QB within the locker room and staff. He's real, I think that resonates incredibly well throughout the organization. Not the major factor in resigning him, but it sure as hell is an important one.

renofox

Reaction score
Right. Did anyone watch Carter in the game against OSU? Pretty sure that game was not helpful for his brand.
I've watched every game Carter played this year- I don't understand the hype. Underconditioned and underproductive are the first two words that come to mind. Kinda like a poor man's Clowney, he can be very disruptive but usually doesn't get the TFL or the sack and the actual impact is far less than it appears

Torc

Reaction score
I can't answer your question about the O-line without a draft and free agent signing list.

But I can answer about Geno. I think he is what he is, an above average QB that has developed under Pete and the Hawks to be a top 10 QB in the league, but needs a productive run game and good defense to alleviate the pressure on him to be perfect to keep us in games. Which IMO is where this issue with bad decision making stems from with Geno.

If people disagree, not sure what they're seeing that says Geno can't play like this for another couple of years as we hopefully find our next young QB.
I think the O-line will definitely improve - there are two rookies there who have never played 17 games in a season, and they've had a lot to learn. I expect improvement from both of them and I wouldn't be shocked to see another rookie starting next year. We'll see how the draft goes. I wouldn't mind a high pick used on a center.

Walker will also have a year under his belt; that second training camp always seems to help with young players.

And let's face it, Geno isn't as experienced a starter as we'd expect from a 32 year old. He'll probably improve too.

At least he thinks so.....

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Geno isn’t the long-term answer and paying him $30MM / year seems crazy to me.

The Seahawks likely will not be in this position again anytime soon.I don’t know if they think that Young or Stroud is worth the expense or not but if so, I’d like to see them make the move. The $30MM they would save by not having a Geno contract, could be used to fill some holes via free agency.

30m isn't a lot for a qb these days. the cap next year is something like 225m. 30m to keep a guy who knows your offense, is comfortable on the team and also is well aware of his situation as a bridge QB while you explore the future at the position is not too much to ask IMHO. In fact it's about as ideal as you can get when you're talking about a team that has basically skipped over a year of the rebuilding process.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I bet something will happen between now and April to shake up this draft order. Maybe tonight's championship game, maybe the combine, or a random event, but rarely does anything stay static for very long.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Plus

Coach Carroll stated, during his post game press conference, his desire to make an effort to resign both Smith and Lock.
When I was listening to Carroll and he said a few things that were interesting on that regard. He didn't seem married to the idea of bringing back Geno. It was interesting how non committal he sounded toward Geno's future. The tone he took as well was curious. I think that Carroll is just fine with going with a rookie and Lock next season.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm so on the fence about Geno for next year. He has wildly exceeded my expectations this season. In my 30+ years of closely following the NFL, I'm struggling to think of a single player I was more wrong about. I thought people on here were overrating his performance filling in for Russ in 2021, but I can't argue that he hasn't played brilliantly within the system this season and deserves every penny of the contract he signed.

That being said, it's hard to articulate this precisely, but it just feels like there's a ceiling with him. And he wont be cheap to bring back; he was a second round pick who has only signed backup QB deals, he'll want to max out, given that this could be his only opportunity and I can't blame him. Any one of us would do the exact same thing. If we only had our first rounder, I'd say definitely pay Geno and roll with him, but that Denver pick is a top-5 selection in a strong QB draft, and after the stupid Chargers lost yesterday, we're probably out of play for either of the two generational defensive prospects without trading up. There's nothing more valuable in the NFL than having a good QB on a rookie contract, and I think that's something that should be very strongly considered. That's not an opportunity that comes around often. I don't know; I think I'd be OK either way with him.

Jville

Reaction score
When I was listening to Carroll and he said a few things that were interesting on that regard. He didn't seem married to the idea of bringing back Geno. It was interesting how non committal he sounded toward Geno's future. The tone he took as well was curious. I think that Carroll is just fine with going with a rookie and Lock next season.

It seemed to me that Carroll was acknowledging that it is in Geno's court with regards to location and contract amount. I don't know what the team's upper limit might be. But we do know that there are teams desperate for a quarterback. It could make for an interesting off season back and forth saga.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It seemed to me that Carroll was acknowledging that it is in Geno's court with regards to location and contract amount. I don't know what the team's upper limit might be. But we do know that there are teams desperate for a quarterback. It could make for an interesting off season back and forth saga.
Oh, absolutely. I also get the vibe that he's not ready to roll the brinks truck out at all cost. Carroll definitely seems to have a limit of what he is willing to pay for Geno. What I got from that answer he gave is that he's not willing to bring Geno Smith back at all costs. I feel that we're just as likely to roll with Lock and a rookie as we are Geno.

Latest posts