Geno's 98 yards TD vs Rams, one of the bright spots of '21

toffee

Reaction score
This drive 98 yards TD drive was as much about DK as it was about Geno. It was one of the bright spots of a dark season, it opened my eyes when it played out. All of a sudden, we weren't three and out, DK caught fire, Dissly contributed, and the offense played a different game, almost like a different team. For a few plays, even our OL didn't suck. Majic moments.

keasley45

Reaction score
Agree. Could have been THE highlight of the season if Lockett doesnt trip, preventing the comeback. Geno threw a perfect ball on that play, there was simply no one there to catch it.

The following two weeks, we went ultra conservative to 'protect' Geno, before opening things back up in his last start. I guess from a strategy perspective, the approach made sense against the Saints and had our kicker not crapped the bed, we win.

Against the Steelers.. Watt was a force but I feel like we could have and shoukd have worked the quick game the way we did a few times with the outlet passes to RBs and screens, but even those were nice to see.

Looking forward to seeing an offense willing to utilize the tools it has. The qb play doesn't have to be spectacular if the scheme is solid and the play is designed to simply rely on whoever starts to read and react.

Own The West

Reaction score
A few things in that clip get me excited: A rusty Geno Smith distributing the ball, mixing in the run, and marching down the field against the Super Bowl champs. 5-yard slants/curls that allow DK run after catch opportunities. A seam route!

I know there's some negative nellies on here, but can you imagine an offense where we use the whole field?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
A few things in that clip get me excited: A rusty Geno Smith distributing the ball, mixing in the run, and marching down the field against the Super Bowl champs. 5-yard slants/curls that allow DK run after catch opportunities. A seam route!

I know there's some negative nellies on here, but can you imagine an offense where we use the whole field?
That is what I've wanted for so long..USE THE WHOLE FIELD
It opens up the running game,rests the D and burns up clock.
We don't need $50 million a year to a QB to do that or not.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
With our defensive minded system, I agree. Use the savings to aquire a team of great players.

I've been wondering why they don't make a practice of drafting young quarterbacks and then letting them walk instead of awarding mega-contracts. Those contracts are now money AND guarantees and I think it's an unbalanced use of resources. It puts too much power in the hands of one player.

I think team chemistry and cohesiveness improve with numerous 'stars' and the cash distributed more evenly.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not getting too overly excited about Geno. Yes, he did an admirable job coming in relief of an injured Russell and produced about like what you would expect of a backup, winning one of his three starts. But there's a big difference between being a full time starter and a backup.

Defenses had a book on Russell, knew his strengths and weaknesses, knew his tendencies. They can game plan against him. If you're an edge rusher coming in from the offensive left, you know that Russell is going to try that reverse spin of his, so as you get within spitting distance, you take a step to your right and are there waiting for him to run into a sack.

13 quarters is too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions from. My gut feel is that we won't be seeing Geno as much as we will Lock. Geno is a known quantity, is older, and even if he did well, isn't our future.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Regardless if Geno will be the starter for 2022, this 98 yards drive against the season's super bowl champ was the one that opened my mind to life after Russ. The things that we didn't do turned out to be things that we wouldn't do, not couldn't do.

Scout

Reaction score
Geno really show cased his footwork in the pocket in all these starts. I think people are really underestimating his ability to distribute the ball in this offense. This is what Geno did in college in WVU.

Ironically people felt that Geno couldn't thrive without his weapons in WVU and the offensive system he was in when entering the NFL. Which is true but in the NFL most QBs need weapons around them to succeed and the right offense.

Geno has no problem passing it around to players and letting them do the work. That is 100% his forte and right up his alley.

With that said he did show moxy by being able to compete in all the games he started so he might be able to shake off the system QB label.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Geno really show cased his footwork in the pocket in all these starts. I think people are really underestimating his ability to distribute the ball in this offense. This is what Geno did in college in WVU.

Ironically people felt that Geno couldn't thrive without his weapons in WVU and the offensive system he was in when entering the NFL. Which is true but in the NFL most QBs need weapons around them to succeed and the right offense.

Geno has no problem passing it around to players and letting them do the work. That is 100% his forte and right up his alley.

With that said he did show moxy by being able to compete in all the games he started so he might be able to shake off the system QB label.
Geno's career TD/INT ratio is 34/37. You can't rationalize that bad of a ratio as being the result of no 'weapons' or the offense he was playing in.

Scout

Reaction score
Geno's career TD/INT ratio is 34/37. You can't rationalize that bad of a ratio as being the result of no 'weapons' or the offense he was playing in.
Actually I would because Geno as a rookie with the Jets were a run oriented offense that generated 2158 yards on the ground (Geno contributed 366) that lacked weapons at the WR position. WR Jeremey Kerley (who?) had 43 receptions that year as the leading receiver on the team. RB B. Powell comes in at 36 receptions in second place for that squad. WR David Nelson with 36 receptions and then TE K. Winslow Jr. with 31 receptions. TE Cumberland with 26 receptions followed by old man WR S. Holmes with 23 receptions...I think people can understand where I am going with this.

The following season (2014) the Jets had finally landed a legit WR talent in Decker and Decker generated 76 receptions in 15 games. Geno had 13 TDs and 13 INTs in his second season which is actually a 1:1 ratio which is very mediocre average but a sign of progress from his rookie year and it is rare for a rookie QB to have a 1:1 or better TD/INT ratio at the NFL level.

Anyways, after Decker the next best weapon was...you guessed it Jeremy Kerley (who?) at 38 receptions. Followed by TE J. Amaro (only played two seasons) with 38 receptions and then WR Percy Harvin with 29 receptions.

So in summary Geno was trending toward average QB play but it could be argued he helped his teammates be drafted higher than they were from WVU. Maybe Geno was assisted by weak collegiate defenses and T. Austin and Bailey being simply superior than inferior collegiate defenders and maybe Geno was over drafted.

Regardless what I do know for sure is that when you put actually weapons around Geno is that he can deliver the ball to them.

To put this in perspective...F. Swain had 25 receptions as a 2nd year player while Locket and Metcalf both had 70+ receptions. Dissly has averaged 20+ receptions the last three years. Fant has averaged 60+ receptions the last two years.

Geno is walking into a more talented squad at starting spots and depth at WR/TE. Not even close. Don't be surprised if Geno or Lock do better than anyone thinks IMVHO.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Actually I would because Geno as a rookie with the Jets were a run oriented offense that generated 2158 yards on the ground (Geno contributed 366) that lacked weapons at the WR position. WR Jeremey Kerley (who?) had 43 receptions that year as the leading receiver on the team. RB B. Powell comes in at 36 receptions in second place for that squad. WR David Nelson with 36 receptions and then TE K. Winslow Jr. with 31 receptions. TE Cumberland with 26 receptions followed by old man WR S. Holmes with 23 receptions...I think people can understand where I am going with this.

The following season (2014) the Jets had finally landed a legit WR talent in Decker and Decker generated 76 receptions in 15 games. Geno had 13 TDs and 13 INTs in his second season which is actually a 1:1 ratio which is very mediocre average but a sign of progress from his rookie year and it is rare for a rookie QB to have a 1:1 or better TD/INT ratio at the NFL level.

Anyways, after Decker the next best weapon was...you guessed it Jeremy Kerley (who?) at 38 receptions. Followed by TE J. Amaro (only played two seasons) with 38 receptions and then WR Percy Harvin with 29 receptions.

So in summary Geno was trending toward average QB play but it could be argued he helped his teammates be drafted higher than they were from WVU. Maybe Geno was assisted by weak collegiate defenses and T. Austin and Bailey being simply superior than inferior collegiate defenders and maybe Geno was over drafted.

Regardless what I do know for sure is that when you put actually weapons around Geno is that he can deliver the ball to them.

To put this in perspective...F. Swain had 25 receptions as a 2nd year player while Locket and Metcalf both had 70+ receptions. Dissly has averaged 20+ receptions the last three years. Fant has averaged 60+ receptions the last two years.

Geno is walking into a more talented squad at starting spots and depth at WR/TE. Not even close. Don't be surprised if Geno or Lock do better than anyone thinks IMVHO.
Geno an above average QB pick that suffered with being drafted by a bad team that needs more than just a QB. The jets got holes all over, and coaching wasn't that good.

Coming to think of it, we are rebuilding that right way. Filling in holes than plug a franchise QB in as our savior.

BASF

Reaction score

I will add on to this that his offensive coordinator was Marty Mornhinweg who had only ever worked with one rookie QB (Jeff Garcia, who gave credit to Steve Mariucci) before bringing in Geno Smith to learn under him. Every other QB that Mornhinweg worked with had been in the league for years before he got to the job. His biggest claim to success was having worked in Holmgren's system and taking those principles to help Mike Vick reinvigorate his career.

His QB coach was David Lee, who was Romo's QB Coach, so I would consider that a success, but he also coached Chad Henne which has to be considered a failure. Then he was on to Ryan Fitzpatrick, who had already been in the league for years and did not see him improve in any category except throwing a few less interceptions.

Not exactly the recipe for QB success for Smith to walk into. All that being said, I do expect Lock to beat him out.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'd like to see the offense add the screen pass to its arsenal given the fact that we got younger and faster on the Oline. Put Uncle Will in motion and have him lead block. Screen pass to K9 and watch him elude the would-be tacklers.

That's what I want to see.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I'd like to see the offense add the screen pass to its arsenal given the fact that we got younger and faster on the Oline. Put Uncle Will in motion and have him lead block. Screen pass to K9 and watch him elude the would-be tacklers.

That's what I want to see.
I think we will see more screenplays and be more productive at it. For whatever reason, Russ wasn't into or good at screen plays??

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I think we will see more screenplays and be more productive at it. For whatever reason, Russ wasn't into or good at screen plays??
I believe that his height in combination with his over-the-top arm motion do not lend themselves well to very short passes that have to clear the hands of rushing D-linemen.

More times than not when they ran a screen play, it bordered on an INT.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan

The big pass vs Rams probably was what most would deem Geno's highlite of the year due to the opposition, but his pass against the Jags was the most perfectly, beautifully, thrown pass of the entire Seahawk's season. Period. That he suffered 2 losses in his three starts shouldn't be laid on Geno. He played admirably. Our defense deserves the brunt of the blame for those losses. That is why I say if our defense comes out and plays the way we hope they do we can win a good number of games regardless who is under center. Both Lock and Geno have all the physical talent required, and Geno displayed very good ability to manage the team and the game in his three starts. But he couldn't get the opposition's offense off the field and neither could our defense.