George Fant to RT

Frozenropers

Reaction score
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRnidBZZqPs[/youtube]

I may need admin assistance on the link, please. :lol:

Not sure if this will work, however this video is worth a look for everyone discussing Fant.

A pretty fair analysis of Fant's strengths and weaknesses.

sutz

Reaction score
]
Frozenropers":18arbd94 said:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRnidBZZqPs[/youtube]

I may need admin assistance on the link, please. :lol:

Not sure if this will work, however this video is worth a look for everyone discussing Fant.

A pretty fair analysis of Fant's strengths and weaknesses.
[youtube]XRnidBZZqPs[/youtube]

Just put the "XRnidBZZqPs" part between the "[youtube][/youtube]" brackets.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3lecour3 said:
JPC4Days":3lecour3 said:
it doesn't always happen that an offensive lineman comes into the league and dominants from the first rookie mini camp like Hutch or Big Walt. Sometimes yes it takes these dudes a couple of season's AND offseason's to get it going.

That is the single most frequent excuse given for bad play. I'm well aware that he should rightfully get a rookie pass. But most Fant fans are proclaiming him the winner of the Fant-Ifedi battle already.

And no, I'm not trying to start stuff, actually. Players do read this board. Rumor has it that one guy even started arguing with everyone who criticized his play.

Yah I just agree with the Seahawks... and what they see in him, I want this player on my roster developing. I don't know that we are ever going to agree... seems like you have an agenda.... are you Ifedi? Relax big fella this could be your year...just having fun man.

I mean what do you want man I just disagree with you... not the end of the World. Fant is a big guy learning a new sport coming off a major injury... so you may get your wish... they could cut him. It will tell me a lot on how he looks coming off of injury.

I am just curious do you have a problem with there draft .... what is your solution? What would you do? Do you want Fant on the team or does the thought of any out of the box thinking bother you that much? The intrigue is that Fant has a ton of upside and I have noticed the improvement ... and the Seahawks have too... I disagree with you that JS and PC are stupid in there assessment of Fant. I agree with there assessment of him more than yours but he is coming off of major injury so ... you may get your wish... who knows bro ... I like him on the roster from what I have seen, will have to see how he looks when he comes back.

Also people are penciling him in because the coaches and personal dept love him... the Seahawks football operations department feel better about him than you do or your analysts .... that's all.

Really dude the only way this conversation gets productive is if we could watch all film on him since coming into the league... not cherry picked cuts to support either sides narrative.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":35nygcq9 said:
JPC4Days":35nygcq9 said:
pushed around? He would have a hiccup now and then but you seriously didn't see what got the people here and on the coaching staff excited? A blood and guts power foward turned left tackle... long arms, feet of a basketball player, surprising strength, hand eye coordination, fluidity and most important the desire and determination to succeed.... yah screw that guy... cut em... what a waste of the coaches developmental time.

A hiccup now and then? Lol. Fant was always getting abused. He may have been worse than Ifedi and thats saying something. Its even money if he even makes the team. I'm one of the ones that doesnt understand the love for this guy either.

yah I just disagree with your ability to analyze players... no big deal.

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":23kvavg2 said:
I know it maybe boring for some, but the team is going to want to maintain continuity by returning 4 of 5 starters into the lineup.

Ifedi is going to have to absolutely play beyond bad. I wouldn't put it past him, but still. They are going to give their 1st rd pick that will now finally be given proper coaching the benefit of the doubt.

Moving Fant to RT is speaking more about Jamarco Jones, and his long term prospects as a starting LT. They want him to get all the #2 reps at LT. So Fant has to move if he wants to keep his roster spot, and get reps himself.

If all players remain healthy.

LT Brown -- LG Pocic -- C Britt -- RG Fluker -- RT Ifedi

Key Reserves
G Roos
T Fant
T Jones

I would love for Fant to win the RT job, but I'm just being realistic here.

I rather have Roos at LG than Pocic:

Brown - Roos - Britt - Fluker - Ifedi

Have very limited sampling Roos were more impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdog1981

Reaction score
I just don't see Fant being on this team for much longer. Solari knows what NFL Oline talent looks like and I think he will move to cut Fant in the next few seasons.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Pocic is one of those players that could improve a lot from year one to year two.. It looked like he had an idea as a rookie. Hopefully he is one of those stories .... we read about, like Ethan is stronger this year... he is really going for it... that sort of thing.

They are always acquiring players so maybe there is an under the radar guy out there we are not even talking about right now but from the guys coming back ... he doesn't have the longest arms or is not the strongest guy. He did seem to get it more than not as a rookie so I am hopeful about him.

I am also hopeful about Ifedi ... maybe it's a story like yah my girlfriend got me into yoga or I really worked on my technique or I worked with dr michael gervais and I am in the zone on a more consistent basis. It is not like the guy is not talented...

Finally for all the people I disagree with... I think hopefully in the end we want what is best for the hawks... if your right or if I am right or if it is a little of both... does it really matter? What does it matter who makes the best five as long as we get five guys the deserve to be there and are not there by default... and three more that back them up.

Once again they have the talent ... but potential is not gonna get it done... I do agree with you all on that. The light bulb could and absolutely has to go on for these guys... let's get behind that. We didn't draft Quenton Nelson or Isaiah Wynn so it is what it is...

original poster

Reaction score
Ifedi was superb in college, really, really good.

If you want some optimism about him, just watch him in college. I hope Cable has nightmares about what he's done to Ifedi, I just hope Solari gets the most out of him.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
original poster":3koxo05r said:

If you want some optimism about him, just watch him in college. I hope Cable has nightmares about what he's done to Ifedi, I just hope Solari gets the most out of him.

I would go as far to say that Ifedi could be a Pro Bowl-caliber guard. He has that kind of tenacity and north-south explosiveness. Think James Carpenter at tackle vs. Carpenter at guard. The problem is Ifedi has so far to go to fix his technique issues in footwork and hand usage as a tackle. These are the same issues he had in college, when he was getting beaten, which is why most people projected him to play guard in the NFL.

Comparing Ifedi and Fluker at RT is night and day. Fluker has even worse lateral worse agility than Ifedi. The difference is Fluker takes perfect angles with his drop step and uses his reach beautifully at RT, while Ifedi takes shallow angles with piss poor footwork. Ifedi compensates for getting beat to the outside (or over-adjusting and getting beaten to the inside) by committing holding penalties or trying to get a jump on the snap with false starts.

Ifedi has so far to go to improve these issues. He may not want to move to guard, but it would make life so much easier for him.

original poster

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1tg1kvta said:
original poster":1tg1kvta said:

I would go as far to say that Ifedi could be a Pro Bowl-caliber guard. He has that kind of tenacity and north-south explosiveness. Think James Carpenter at tackle vs. Carpenter at guard. The problem is Ifedi has so far to go to fix his technique issues in footwork and hand usage as a tackle. These are the same issues he had in college, when he was getting beaten, which is why most people projected him to play guard in the NFL.

Comparing Ifedi and Fluker at RT is night and day. Fluker has even lateral worse agility than Ifedi. The difference is Fluker takes perfect angles with his drop step and uses his reach beautifully at RT, while Ifedi takes shallow angles with piss poor footwork. Ifedi compensates for getting beat to the outside (or over-adjusting and getting beaten to the inside) by committing holding penalties or trying to get a jump on the snap with false starts.

Ifedi has so far to go to improve these issues. He may not want to move to guard, but it would make life so much easier for him.

Yeah the problem with Ifedi is you cannot expect him to come in week 1 and have all his footwork and technique issues corrected, it's just not realistic. They will need to decide on his 5th year option next offseason, that will be a key decision.

With any luck he starts to show improvements over this season and next, the team don't pick up his 5th year option and he can be resigned at a reasonable cost and continue to grow and hopefully end up outplaying his contract.

If he can get to at least serviceable by the mid way point of this season, I'll be happy. It's not ideal, but that's the price you pay keeping Cable around for as long as they did.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
original poster":3tqq47xs said:
hawknation2018":3tqq47xs said:
original poster":3tqq47xs said:

Comparing Ifedi and Fluker at RT is night and day. Fluker has even lateral worse agility than Ifedi. The difference is Fluker takes perfect angles with his drop step and uses his reach beautifully at RT, while Ifedi takes shallow angles with piss poor footwork. Ifedi compensates for getting beat to the outside (or over-adjusting and getting beaten to the inside) by committing holding penalties or trying to get a jump on the snap with false starts.

Yeah the problem with Ifedi is you cannot expect him to come in week 1 and have all his footwork and technique issues corrected, it's just not realistic. They will need to decide on his 5th year option next offseason, that will be a key decision.

With any luck he starts to show improvements over this season and next, the team don't pick up his 5th year option and he can be resigned at a reasonable cost and continue to grow and hopefully end up outplaying his contract.

If he can get to at least serviceable by the mid way point of this season, I'll be happy. It's not ideal, but that's the price you pay keeping Cable around for as long as they did.

Unless Ifedi proves he can be a top-tier guard, I don't think there's any chance the team picks up his 5th-year option. Even if he moves to guard and excels, the 5th-year option will be around $10 million for an offensive lineman picked at No. 32.

The bigger concern for Ifedi should be getting re-signed, at all.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
sdog1981":1uq4d4mm said:
I just don't see Fant being on this team for much longer. Solari knows what NFL Oline talent looks like and I think he will move to cut Fant in the next few seasons.

He has protoypical size and athelticsim. He's Young. He's cheap. And once he's unlearned all of Cable's garbage, he'll be even better.

You think he'll be cut. I think he'll get Pro Bowl consideration, if not actually be named as an alternate. Guess we'll see.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
MagnificentSeven":2bhpa86l said:
sdog1981":2bhpa86l said:

He has protoypical size and athelticsim. He's Young. He's cheap. And once he's unlearned all of Cable's garbage, he'll be even better.

You think he'll be cut. I think he'll get Pro Bowl consideration, if not actually be named as an alternate. Guess we'll see.

Dang. That would be pretty cool for George. :179417:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JPC4Days":2h1ghtaf said:
MontanaHawk05":2h1ghtaf said:
JPC4Days":2h1ghtaf said:
it doesn't always happen that an offensive lineman comes into the league and dominants from the first rookie mini camp like Hutch or Big Walt. Sometimes yes it takes these dudes a couple of season's AND offseason's to get it going.

That is the single most frequent excuse given for bad play. I'm well aware that he should rightfully get a rookie pass. But most Fant fans are proclaiming him the winner of the Fant-Ifedi battle already.

And no, I'm not trying to start stuff, actually. Players do read this board. Rumor has it that one guy even started arguing with everyone who criticized his play.

Yah I just agree with the Seahawks... and what they see in him, I want this player on my roster developing. I don't know that we are ever going to agree... seems like you have an agenda.... are you Ifedi? Relax big fella this could be your year...just having fun man.

I mean what do you want man I just disagree with you... not the end of the World. Fant is a big guy learning a new sport coming off a major injury... so you may get your wish... they could cut him. It will tell me a lot on how he looks coming off of injury.

I am just curious do you have a problem with there draft .... what is your solution? What would you do? Do you want Fant on the team or does the thought of any out of the box thinking bother you that much? The intrigue is that Fant has a ton of upside and I have noticed the improvement ... and the Seahawks have too... I disagree with you that JS and PC are stupid in there assessment of Fant. I agree with there assessment of him more than yours but he is coming off of major injury so ... you may get your wish... who knows bro ... I like him on the roster from what I have seen, will have to see how he looks when he comes back.

Also people are penciling him in because the coaches and personal dept love him... the Seahawks football operations department feel better about him than you do or your analysts .... that's all.

Really dude the only way this conversation gets productive is if we could watch all film on him since coming into the league... not cherry picked cuts to support either sides narrative.

Lfd1axf56cvy

Fant struggled every bit as much as the other "top-tools" Cable guys. Yet he's getting a pass on it almost entirely because he's 1) cheap, 2) a UDFA, and 3) a feel-good story. We fans are positively inclined towards such players and willing to put blinders on because of it. My only real agenda here is to be honest about things, and establish things as they truly are. I'm pretty passionate about it, and I'm allowed to be.

And so are you. You are allowed to be passionate about what you think. But you'll have to bring some pertinent information and data to the table in order to convince me, because honestly, it looks like the data doesn't favor him. That's all I'm saying.

Sure, maybe he becomes a starter or even a Pro Bowler once Solari gets his hands on him. But he hasn't shown a whiff of that yet. All he's shown is raw potential on the physical side only.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fant is the player equivalent of a Pandora's Box. Incredible athlete: powerful, long, agile, tenacious, explosive. Started as a rookie at the 2nd most difficult position in football, after having never played football in college, and looked somewhat credible doing it. Showed improvement in short duty during the preseason before his injury. What will he look like now during a potential move to RT? No one knows.

original poster

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3vski4gg said:
JPC4Days":3vski4gg said:
MontanaHawk05":3vski4gg said:
JPC4Days":3vski4gg said:

Lfd1axf56cvy

Fant struggled every bit as much as the other "top-tools" Cable guys. Yet he's getting a pass on it almost entirely because he's 1) cheap, 2) a UDFA, and 3) a feel-good story. We fans are positively inclined towards such players and willing to put blinders on because of it. My only real agenda here is to be honest about things, and establish things as they truly are. I'm pretty passionate about it, and I'm allowed to be.

And so are you. You are allowed to be passionate about what you think. But you'll have to bring some pertinent information and data to the table in order to convince me, because honestly, it looks like the data doesn't favor him. That's all I'm saying.

Sure, maybe he becomes a starter or even a Pro Bowler once Solari gets his hands on him. But he hasn't shown a whiff of that yet. All he's shown is raw potential on the physical side only.

I share exactly the same thoughts on Fant, Montana.

Funnily enough I wrote this for an article today about Fant -

XnQFlS5

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Given the number of linemen that we have to work with, what about using Fant as more of a situational and backup player.

He's still cheap. Why not use him as a blocking tight end, and a backup tackle? Sure he's more tackle sized now, but I imagine he would still be pretty a effective Y in a 12 or 22 package. I seem to remember Schotty using these pretty extensively when he was in St. Louis, and I think he did so at Georgia as well.

This could certainly make up for some of the lateral weakness we are bound to have at RT, whoever wins the competition there.

edited for grammar

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
bigskydoc":37urpi0f said:
Given the number of linemen that we have to work with, what about using Fant as more of a situational and backup player.

He's still cheap. Why not use him as a blocking tight end, and a backup tackle? Sure he's more tackle sized now, but I imagine he would still be pretty effective in a 12 or 22 package. I seem to remember Schotty using these pretty extensively when he was in St. Louis, and I think he did so at Georgia as well.

This could certainly make up for some of the lateral weakness we are bound to have at RT, whoever wins the competition there.

Seeing more "jumbo packages" under Schottenheimer would be awesome.

toffee

Reaction score
Did we make a mistake in converting Fant to LT? Could he be a blocking TE before he put on lots of weight? When he joined the Hawks , he was a huge TE at 280lbs+ with agility and could dunk a basketball.

Basing on his performance at LT, he could be quite effectively as a blocking TE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk