George Fant

Mojambo

Reaction score
Gilliam is the real issue. I want to see Webb and Sowell competing at that spot.

djb28

Reaction score
FANTastic. Ugh, did I just do that?

HawkinNY

Reaction score
We will get him to pro bowl level and then let him walk after his rookie deal. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kujohawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1blackl3 said:
HawkGA":1blackl3 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the clipping penalty was weak. The lineman moved and Fant fell. Considering I saw an OL tackle a Seahawks on a 3rd and short early in the game helping the fullback pick up a first down, I'm starting to wonder if I know the rules anymore.

I thought it was a tick tack penalty. Surely no intent to clip, and the blocked player was already falling.

That penalty was for tripping not clipping. He did it. Other than that though I thought he played pretty darned good, he keeps his feet and stays in front of his man. Sowell should just use a red cape he whiffs a lot.

HawkGA

Reaction score
kujohawk":2u55hhm2 said:
McGruff":2u55hhm2 said:
HawkGA":2u55hhm2 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the clipping penalty was weak. The lineman moved and Fant fell. Considering I saw an OL tackle a Seahawks on a 3rd and short early in the game helping the fullback pick up a first down, I'm starting to wonder if I know the rules anymore.

I thought it was a tick tack penalty. Surely no intent to clip, and the blocked player was already falling.

That penalty was for tripping not clipping. He did it. Other than that though I thought he played pretty darned good, he keeps his feet and stays in front of his man. Sowell should just use a red cape he whiffs a lot.

There was a tripping penalty against the Bills but the play I'm thinking of definitely wasn't tripping. Not 100% if clipping was the call on the penalty but it definitely wasn't tripping. He basically fell on the back of the defenders legs.

drcool

Reaction score
On most plays Fant looks pretty solid. But when he is bad it is very bad. But those are mistakes that can be corrected with playing time as he learns the intricacies of the position.

McGruff

Reaction score
kujohawk":bbcpskya said:
McGruff":bbcpskya said:
HawkGA":bbcpskya said:

It was for clipping.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'll reserve judgment until the end of the season.

But seeing where he came from to where he is, that's impressive. It truly is

kujohawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":2p7feyzf said:
kujohawk":2p7feyzf said:
McGruff":2p7feyzf said:
HawkGA":2p7feyzf said:

There was a tripping penalty against the Bills but the play I'm thinking of definitely wasn't tripping. Not 100% if clipping was the call on the penalty but it definitely wasn't tripping. He basically fell on the back of the defenders legs.

I think you must be thinking of the clipping call with 5 minutes in the first half. I'm rewatching it now. Yeah that was tic tac bad call. I got game pass. Luv that stuff. We scored anyway no harm no foul.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Clipping penalty, allowed one sack, allowed at least two other full-force hits on Wilson, also a major pressure on an earlier sack that his man didn't quite get thanks to the scrum. He's honestly not doing all that better than Sowell.

Granted, that's still performing expectations for him given his experience, and it was against one of the league's best edge rushers. But it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't better than Sowell.

However...he wasn't worse than Sowell either.

I probably leave him in just for his upside.

Mojambo

Reaction score
If he's performing anywhere near Sowell's level his upside makes him a no doubt play.

Right now it feels like the right side is the issue. Iced is taking some rookie knocks and Gilliam is simply lost. I think the run game improves and the pass protection doesn't take much of a hit if they put Webb in there.

hawker84

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":28cba78d said:
When Sowell gets healthy, who is the starter?

Personally I'd like to see Fant stay at Left Tackle, and move Sowell to Right Tackle, move Gilliam back to a back role. Giliam is absolutely horrible.

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkGA":2w2awg9b said:
kujohawk":2w2awg9b said:
McGruff":2w2awg9b said:
HawkGA":2w2awg9b said:

It was a Clipping penalty, and a poorly called one. Fant fell, the other player was already going down, there wasn't another Seahawk engaged, weak call.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
MagnificentSeven":32muqqo5 said:
MagnificentSeven":32muqqo5 said:
I haven't been this excited about a Draft Class...like...ever. But the one I really hope makes the team, or at least the practice squad, is George Fant, TE from Western Kentucky. 6'5", 296 lbs., 37" Vertical, 4.83 40....sounds to me like another hyper-athletic (former basketball player), Gilliam-like, conversion project. :0190l:

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/w...deo_550e0118-f5dd-11e5-b006-534fe4e3fbc7.html

Well, I didn't really "call it", but he made the final 53 and looked solid in every game I watched him play in pre-season. No way he was going to clear waivers. I wouldn't be shocked to see him starting at some point this year, his athletisicm is freaky, and after he actually learns the position, I expect him to transition from adequate back-up to capable starter.

I'm going to put this down as a Win for my Adopt-A-Rookie. :0190l:

RussB

Reaction score
The dude hasnt played football in years and made his first NFL start last week and hes already better than sowell. They need to keep him in sowell is just terrible, a football rookie has outplayed him lol.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":50r5peet said:
It was a Clipping penalty, and a poorly called one. Fant fell, the other player was already going down, there wasn't another Seahawk engaged, weak call.

You're thinking chop block. That's when one OL blocks below the waist while engaged with another blocker.

Clipping is blocking below the waist from behind (differentiated from illegal block in the back -- above the waist).

It's kind of ticky tack. But it also occurs in full view near the point of attack. It's kind of like all of those holding calls on Robert Turbin's successful outside runs. The unrestricted view and proximity to the direction of the play undoubtedly played a part.

Ultimately, it was a foul. And considering this isn't his first clipping call -- I'm guessing that Buffalo discussed this with the refs beforehand as something to watch. It's not unlikely that this refereeing crew was prepared to watch him closely on this. Even if it was ticky tack -- if you're already looking at this particular penalty as a point of emphasis, they're going to see it as clipping.

Fant is raw. And that means he's not going to recognize the blurred line of legality. Not unlike a grabby rookie CB. Have to learn where that line is so you can stay on the right side of it. So he's going to get more penalties like this most likely. Part of the growth process.

I too hope they keep Fant out there if all things are truly equal between him and Sowell. If nothing else, than to help crystallize our opinion of where our OL is heading into next year's draft. If we can avoid having to settle for what's out there in a generally weak OT draft, we can improve our team in other needed areas. If Fant does start to turn the corner by end of this season -- and you think Ifedi is capable of sliding to RT -- then we're looking at interior OL and swing tackles. Which are much easier to get and generally require a day 2/3 pick instead of a day 1 pick.

Hefty implications on where next year's improvements are headed if we think the long term starter solutions at OT are already on the roster.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkGA":7ycv7vp6 said:

I think it was weak as well, it looked like he fell on the guy and didn't go after him, but I can also understand why they'd call that in the OL scrum.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He looks better than already Sowell and that's without all the reps and playtime that Sowell has been given. Once again Cable demonstrates he has no grasp of talent evaluation . I hope they cut Cable loose at the end of this season. Sowell has no future on this team he is horrible.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
He's playing better than expected from someone with 0 experience. It is to be seen if he can develop into a solid starter but there is hope.