Get Griffin back off the PS

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Last year, at the end of the year, when we needed pressure on the QB ....we finally started using him for that. He got pressure. Or allowed someone else to get it.

Understanding that most of the problem is Norton being garbage, I understand Griffin won't solve the problem. It isn't LT or Jason Taylor languishing on the practice squad. He is an inconsistent pass rusher that gets swallowed up if one of the OL gets a hand on him.

But...he is better than what we have.

We are choosing not to use him because he cannot stop the run.

Nobody. Cares.

Stopping the run is nowhere near as important as stopping the pass in today's NFL. For one, a flag in coverage can turn a 3rd and 31 into a 1st down because your DB held after being stuck 15 min in coverage when your pass rush is doing nothing. For the most part, a bad breakdown against a run is going to give up 10 yds because your safeties will clean up the mistake.

We cannot rush the passer. It makes no sense to keep a decent pass rusher on the PS because he cannot stop the run when your QB almost loses a game he threw 5 TDs in. We are giving up near 30 pts or 300 yds passing to every QB we play so far.

At least have him so you can rush the passer on pass rushing downs. And for the love all of that is holy, I better never see him in coverage against an effing TE. Sick of seeing them use Griffin and then put him out in coverage*

(*That is on Norton)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. With is speed, let him rush the passer from time to time. Plus, we don't know how long Irvin will be out.

sutz

Reaction score
Given yesterday's injuries, Griffin could be the right guy to call up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While I'm fine with calling Griffin up, he's too small to be in the rotation, he's a 3rd down and long 4-5 plays a game type of speed rusher.

It's not just DE, Reed and Ford are also struggling to get any sort of interior pressure.

So not only are our four D-line starters ineffective, they're playing too many snaps.........which IMO led to Irvin's injury. Dude's not suppose to be playing 80-90% of the snaps.

Here's a list of current FA's that haven't been signed yet;

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents ... available/

Matthews is also available, so he's an option. It's a pretty depressing list, but really I see no choice but to start bringing some of these guys in for workouts.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Griffin should be in on 3rd and longs. Period.

He lets runners get to the edge but at this point...so what?

(Again I cannot believe we allowed the Cowboys to sign Griffen for $6M. That was stupid not to outbid a team with utterly no cap room. He isn't Cortez but he would have fixed this.)

ivotuk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2zcnbkbw said:
Last year, at the end of the year, when we needed pressure on the QB ....we finally started using him for that. He got pressure. Or allowed someone else to get it.

Understanding that most of the problem is Norton being garbage, I understand Griffin won't solve the problem. It isn't LT or Jason Taylor languishing on the practice squad. He is an inconsistent pass rusher that gets swallowed up if one of the OL gets a hand on him.

But...he is better than what we have.

We are choosing not to use him because he cannot stop the run.

Nobody. Cares.

Stopping the run is nowhere near as important as stopping the pass in today's NFL. For one, a flag in coverage can turn a 3rd and 31 into a 1st down because your DB held after being stuck 15 min in coverage when your pass rush is doing nothing. For the most part, a bad breakdown against a run is going to give up 10 yds because your safeties will clean up the mistake.

We cannot rush the passer. It makes no sense to keep a decent pass rusher on the PS because he cannot stop the run when your QB almost loses a game he threw 5 TDs in. We are giving up near 30 pts or 300 yds passing to every QB we play so far.

At least have him so you can rush the passer on pass rushing downs. And for the love all of that is holy, I better never see him in coverage against an effing TE. Sick of seeing them use Griffin and then put him out in coverage*

(*That is on Norton)

This! This! This! So much this!

Last year Shaquem was starting to get the hang of it when they turned him loose, and he was putting pressure on QBs. But, they didn't put him in enough, just like they didn't play Ugo enough last year!

Shaquem has the speed to be an absolute terror for QBs, and with a little coaching from Jamal Adams, could be a surprise sack machine for Seattle. Except, there are those of us who wouldn't be surprised.

PLAY HIM PETE!

Polk738

Reaction score
Adams with Shaqueem would be a pretty good combination off the edge

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Ansah signed with the 49'ers

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":23x2lasw said:
Griffin should be in on 3rd and longs. Period.

He lets runners get to the edge but at this point...so what?

It's really frustrating when someone brings up a salient point about Shaquem's ideal projection and it just gets dismissed out of hand because priors. Sgt. is right, Shaquem isn't going to make a dent in the situation, so we might as well reserve the spot for unknown quantities who might have a higher ceiling.

FinNasty

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1309952401110114304[/tweet]

sutz

Reaction score
All right, he was coming around as a speed rusher last season. Let's hope he can fire it up and get to Dak.

:2thumbs: :snack:

nanomoz

Reaction score
He and Ryan Neal were both elevated for the Cowboys game. I'm guessing Neal gets some snaps both outside and in spot safety duty. And Griffin will certainly gets some Leo reps in obvious passing downs.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Dude reed and ford or anyone interior cant get off blocks because they are interior. Hard to break blocks when you have a higher chance of dbl team because we only rush four against 5 blocker oline plus extra te or rb. This is why our edge struggles too. Ford leaves the field on certain downs. Let's get Alton, Griffin for edge. Taylor when he is healthy. Reed and collier inside on blitz. Bring some backers and dbs occasionally and in different gaps. Move the lineman around also so they dont just stay a, b or c gap. Make it look different.

Does every one forget griffin was a de in college? Who cares about the run. We arent letting big runs right now. I think griffin gets to the qb.

Latest posts