Give Shaquem a shot at Pass Rusher!!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
He was good at it as a College Player. Pete was talking about having him do that here, a job where he doesn't have to think, just get after the passer with his speed!

He has the speed of a DB, with LB size. His hand? Not a hindrance! JPP had 12.5 Sacks last year! Prior to that, his 2 best years in the NFL, he had 12.5 and 16.5 Sacks...with 2 complete hands.

And Shaquem has done this before, against some good College teams.

Shaquem Griffin was named the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2016

Griffin wasn't a one-year wonder, even if his stock and name recognition increased during the Knights' 2017 season. Before UCF went undefeated in 2017, he was the AAC's top defensive player in 2016.

In 13 games, Griffin made 92 total tackles, 20 tackles for loss and had 11.5 sacks. That helped the Knights improve from 0-12 in 2015 to 6-7 the next season.

ALSO:

Shaquem Griffin was Defensive MVP at the 2018 Peach Bowl

. Auburn was ranked No. 2 in the second-to-last College Football Playoff rankings, but a 28-7 loss to Georgia dropped them down to No. 7.

Griffin led all players with 12 total tackles while having 3.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... ege-career

Turn the Kid Loose!!! :domotwak:

http://www.nfl.com/player/jasonpierre-p ... 43/profile

kf3339

Reaction score
I'm for any player, but Ansah at this point. That ship has sailed.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'm right there with you. I was surprised when they announced he'd play LB instead of Leo when we drafted him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I mean I'll try anything at this point, but Griffin only weighs 224 lbs..............and as much as we don't like talking about the one hand thing, it would impair his ability to grab and compensate technique wise for trying to get around 270 lb tackles.

IMO Griffin would probably fit better in a 3-4 defense which would give him more opportunity to blitz off the edge and make plays as an outside backer.

But hell, why not. Not like Ansah or the other edge rushers are doing anything.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I've been saying this for over a week now. Maybe I'm nostalgic for the Rufus Porter days, but I think that is what the pass rush needs.

As to the concern that he's too small, don't put him in on early downs or short yardage. Bring him in for 3rd and long and 2-minute drill.

themunn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1it4sa1w said:
I mean I'll try anything at this point, but Griffin only weighs 224 lbs..............and as much as we don't like talking about the one hand thing, it would impair his ability to grab and compensate technique wise for trying to get around 270 lb tackles.

IMO Griffin would probably fit better in a 3-4 defense which would give him more opportunity to blitz off the edge and make plays as an outside backer.

I do wonder if his size and speed would cause an issue though?
In the same way that smaller running backs can be hard for DTs to pin down, perhaps a small and fast DE would be tougher to get a hold of?
The hand thing might be an issue though as one thing you want in your DEs is long arms to bat down passes overhead, which could potentially be taken advantage of?

In any case I can't imagine Carroll hasn't already thought about it, so either we'll see it soon or never at all.

kobebryant

Reaction score
It's kind of unfortunate that Jacob Martin is just hanging out there in Houston not getting much playing time. The Hawks could really use someone with his speed and bend off the edge.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Shaquem Griffin = Michael Sam. Great college player, but that does not translate into NFL success.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
themunn":1skrejx2 said:
Sgt. Largent":1skrejx2 said:

I do wonder if his size and speed would cause an issue though?
In the same way that smaller running backs can be hard for DTs to pin down, perhaps a small and fast DE would be tougher to get a hold of?
The hand thing might be an issue though as one thing you want in your DEs is long arms to bat down passes overhead, which could potentially be taken advantage of?

In any case I can't imagine Carroll hasn't already thought about it, so either we'll see it soon or never at all.

If we know one thing about Pete, it's that he wants versatile players. So yes if Griffin was our starting WIL then he'd probably find ways of getting Shaquem in on blitz packages and passing downs.

But as we saw in the Denver game last year, Griffin was woefully unprepared for that responsibility. Now maybe that'll change as he continues to learn the system........but to JUST bring him in for passing down to rush off the edge? Pete's never done that.

He wants a solid rotation of D-lineman to rush, and he wants his three primary LB's to play 99% of the snaps, all game, every game.

That's why I said I think Griffin would probably be more successful in a 3-4 defense where there's more opportunity for his skillset.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete doesn't want him in there because he is worried about the run.

We had Irvin rushing the passer and he was light for DE initially.

Honestly, we have nothing to lose. If we give up yards or it doesn't work? Well we are giving up yards and it isn't working now so no worries.

Just weird that they won't even try it considering they are so terrible at rushing the passer and need it so badly.

Then again, Pete didn't use Poona most of last year for some inexplicable reason so sometimes he just likes to go with guys he knows.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
No doubt the guy has had to overcome a lot just to be where he is in life, but does anyone honestly think he's an NFL caliber player? He literally is our version of Michael Sam, except instead of his sexuality being the hot topic of conversation, it's his disability.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I prefer to let someone fail before assuming they will fail.

He was very good at rushing the passer, even against larger, stronger guys like Auburn had. If it works, it becomes worth the effort.

Equating him with Michael Sam is stupid. Sam was not fast or big enough for his position.

Shaquem is tremendously fast with great bend and great balance. He isn't big but new defenses don't need you to be.

And since our defense is hot garbage wrapped in a solidified vomit burrito, it isn't as if it could hurt us to try it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":snmwrj8b said:
I prefer to let someone fail before assuming they will fail.

He was very good at rushing the passer, even against larger, stronger guys like Auburn had. If it works, it becomes worth the effort.

Equating him with Michael Sam is stupid. Sam was not fast or big enough for his position.

Shaquem is tremendously fast with great bend and great balance. He isn't big but new defenses don't need you to be.

And since our defense is hot garbage wrapped in a solidified vomit burrito, it isn't as if it could hurt us to try it.

While I agree, I also assume Pete's for two years now tried Shaquem rushing the passer in practice. He's not dumb, maybe stubborn, but not dumb.

So I'm sure he's had a good long look at what this looks like in practice.

If we're being honest, Shaquem's been a decent special teams player, but nowhere near the impact player to have even kept around after BBK and Barton were drafted......and my guess is the main reason he wasn't cut before the season started is because we didn't want to disrupt Shaquill's progress or start that drama of his brother getting cut at such an important position and time for our defense.

xray

Reaction score
Hasn't Carroll indicated several times that Shaquem might be an option at pass rush in certain circumstances ? Yes he has ; so why doesn't he at least try something . His hesitancy to try anything new pisses me off :!:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The NFL is rife with players that, for whatever reason, are not great practice players but somehow are ridiculously impactful in real games.

Shaquem was lacking in his first games but then he wasn't asked to pass rush.

We don't need 'ridiculously impactful' just 'somewhat better than suck'.

And, by that logic, why were guys like Poona Ford not getting used last year if they seemed to do OK in real games? He never saw it in practice? It didn't matter? Who knows.

Not saying Poona is Michael Bennett but he is worth playing. And for some reason could not see the field last year.

So just because Pete won't play someone doesn't mean they shouldn't be in there.