Give Shaquem a shot at Pass Rusher!!!

Rat

Reaction score
We've known since he was drafted that he's really fast. The coaching staff knows that too. I have to believe that the idea has been kicked around many times, and if he had shown any competency doing it in practice, we would have seen him there by now.

As much as I'd like to be wrong, I think this feel-good story is going to come to an end soon.

Largent80

Reaction score
I agree, give him a shot. The line isn't doing anything for whatever reason/excuse. Try something different and that may help confuse our opponents.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":da5sgcv3 said:
themunn":da5sgcv3 said:
Sgt. Largent":da5sgcv3 said:
I mean I'll try anything at this point, but Griffin only weighs 224 lbs..............and as much as we don't like talking about the one hand thing, it would impair his ability to grab and compensate technique wise for trying to get around 270 lb tackles.

IMO Griffin would probably fit better in a 3-4 defense which would give him more opportunity to blitz off the edge and make plays as an outside backer.

But hell, why not. Not like Ansah or the other edge rushers are doing anything.

I do wonder if his size and speed would cause an issue though?
In the same way that smaller running backs can be hard for DTs to pin down, perhaps a small and fast DE would be tougher to get a hold of?
The hand thing might be an issue though as one thing you want in your DEs is long arms to bat down passes overhead, which could potentially be taken advantage of?

In any case I can't imagine Carroll hasn't already thought about it, so either we'll see it soon or never at all.

If we know one thing about Pete, it's that he wants versatile players. So yes if Griffin was our starting WIL then he'd probably find ways of getting Shaquem in on blitz packages and passing downs.

But as we saw in the Denver game last year, Griffin was woefully unprepared for that responsibility. Now maybe that'll change as he continues to learn the system........but to JUST bring him in for passing down to rush off the edge? Pete's never done that.

He wants a solid rotation of D-lineman to rush, and he wants his three primary LB's to play 99% of the snaps, all game, every game.

That's why I said I think Griffin would probably be more successful in a 3-4 defense where there's more opportunity for his skillset.

Pete was slow to get Blair into the starting line up too. Took several injuries at safety to do it. Now what has happened?

It would be one thing if Queem was inactive every game, but he's not. He's on the active roster. So take a look at him there and see how he does. It's not like he can create less pressure.

AgentDib

Reaction score
"Nothing to lose" is insane hyperbole. Our defense hasn't been good but it could get so much worse.

The Buccaneers had six drives in the second half on Sunday. They went Punt, FG, Punt, Fumble, FG, TD for 13 points. One more FG or one FG that becomes a TD and we likely lose the game. Even if our defense was complete garbage then getting one more stop in a game could still be the difference in what our offense can overcome or not.

Every play matters in all three phases regardless of how good those phases are.

Fade

Reaction score
Sure, why not.

Obvious pass situations it would make some sense given the current situation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":gk6yiuoi said:
It would be one thing if Queem was inactive every game, but he's not. He's on the active roster. So take a look at him there and see how he does. It's not like he can create less pressure.

Take a look at him where? He's a LB, and you're asking for him to play DE? Come in for passing downs only?

You gonna play a 220 lb LB at DE? You guys aren't even making sense as to what you're asking for. He's gotta practice at the position you're asking Pete to play him at, and right now he's down on the depth chart at LB.

I get it, we're all frustrated and grasping for straws with what might work rushing the passer.........but guarantee you Pete's seen Shaquem at practice getting after the quarterback. So that tells you everything you need to know about what that looked like. Not good.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
I will never understand why Pete got us into this position: namely, that cutting Shaquem wouild adversely affect Shaquill. Does this mean that he will be gifted a roster spot next year, because his brother is on the team? Does this mean that if we do give Shaquill a 2nd contract, it must include his brother. I also see that the twins are still pushing their story front and center, even during the football season, where everything should be about being focused on the game and their team mates. I sure hope this feel good story ends soon. I also believe that Pete already knows that Shaquem cannot be a capable edge rusher. Shaquill himself is not elite and has no business insisting that he must play with his brother. Do it somewhere else. Does Shaquem even elevate special teams??? The brother act would be great for this new football league. It does not belong in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":3ok49qzu said:
I will never understand why Pete got us into this position: namely, that cutting Shaquem wouild adversely affect Shaquill. Does this mean that he will be gifted a roster spot next year, because his brother is on the team? Does this mean that if we do give Shaquill a 2nd contract, it must include his brother. I also see that the twins are still pushing their story front and center, even during the football season, where everything should be about being focused on the game and their team mates. I sure hope this feel good story ends soon. I also believe that Pete already knows that Shaquem cannot be a capable edge rusher. Shaquill himself is not elite and has no business insisting that he must play with his brother. Do it somewhere else. Does Shaquem even elevate special teams??? The brother act would be great for this new football league. It does not belong in the NFL.

Elevate? No, but Shaquem is a good special teams player, he's cheap and there's plenty of depth ahead of him at the LB spot.........so it's not like he's preventing BBK or Barton from seeing the field.

But yes, sooner or later Pete's going to have to make the hard decision to cut him if he's not improving and competing at the LB spot.

xray

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":2jyafcxj said:

Yep ^

xray

Reaction score
drama across the board

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32tqd943 said:
HawkGA":32tqd943 said:

Take a look at him where? He's a LB, and you're asking for him to play DE? Come in for passing downs only?

You gonna play a 220 lb LB at DE? You guys aren't even making sense as to what you're asking for. He's gotta practice at the position you're asking Pete to play him at, and right now he's down on the depth chart at LB.

I get it, we're all frustrated and grasping for straws with what might work rushing the passer.........but guarantee you Pete's seen Shaquem at practice getting after the quarterback. So that tells you everything you need to know about what that looked like. Not good.

Not a full time DE. Yes, that would be crazy. But third and long? Two-Minute Drill? Sure, why not? Rufus Porter is the model here.

chris98251

Reaction score
Still think Safety. hen is bigger fast and with how we been tackling can't do any worse, he would be in the box and could shift and pass rush also using the big Nickel package.

Osprey

Reaction score
HawkGA":3dmep5wl said:
Not a full time DE. Yes, that would be crazy. But third and long? Two-Minute Drill? Sure, why not? Rufus Porter is the model here.
Rufus was the exception that proves the rule and Quem is a full 10# lighter. Pre-season was the time for that experiment, not the back half of a playoff run season.

kobebryant

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":v7d9dbmy said:
Shaquem Griffin = Michael Sam. Great college player, but that does not translate into NFL success.

I don't see the comparison at all. Sam was a really poor tester who didn't warrant getting drafted, and ended up not being CFL caliber. Shaquem was a great tester athletically, was drafted right around where he was supposed to be and has carved at a role as a solid special teams player. Not everyone can be a great player, teams have middle and lower ends of their rosters - made up of guys who always dress and play every special teams unit. Think the Heath Farwell types.

Latest posts