Golden Tate Fined

gulliver

Reaction score
If it's so critical to nip this taunting behavior in the bud that we have to dock guys 15 yards *and* fine 'em eight grand, then, thinking about Steve Smith and Janoris Jenkins, isn't it about time we mic'd up receivers and DBs and fined guys for trashing each other's wives and families?

Truth is, like the NCAA, the NFL is not in the business of fairness or actual football justice--they're in the business of being feared, making statements, avoiding liability, and being pro-active about whichever sports-related social movement is coming down the pike.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
gulliver":2r0wae1x said:
Truth is, like the NCAA, the NFL is not in the business of fairness or actual football justice--they're in the business of being feared, making statements, avoiding liability, and being pro-active about whichever sports-related social movement is coming down the pike.

Truer words were never spoken!

Gap Filler

Reaction score
chris98251":1r83x4no said:
I state my thoughts as my thoughts, but I don't attack a poster unlike some, if you think it's stupid fine, but bring a response argueing against the thought rather then attacking the poster making the response. Which by the way is against the forums bylaws.

Yeah you didn't come after me with a hard on. With your "Tri Lateral commission and the Knights Templar debate with the New World Order", barf bags, and telling someone who had an opinion that differed from yours to get off their podium. You wanna throw stones but when I tell you your opinion is stupid its not an attack on you. Its what I think of your opinion and your conspiracy theories. Go hang with Largent80, you guys are good together.

Gap Filler

Reaction score
Carmon1274":ka8yl02y said:
Some guys don't understand the fact that the penalty occured during the play not after the play.

I mean sack dance happens after the play is dead.

What he did was during the play.

Thats an excellent point.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Gap Filler":tyt3olcz said:
Carmon1274":tyt3olcz said:
Some guys don't understand the fact that the penalty occured during the play not after the play.

I mean sack dance happens after the play is dead.

What he did was during the play.

Thats an excellent point.
No, it's that thingy that's going on with the top of yer head, THAT'S "An Excellent Point" :16:
The "Sack" is one thing, and I have no problem with celebrating a clean sack, but the dirty play (intent to hurt or maim) is way under-fined as far as I'm concerned.
Remember when Hasselbeck was "Accidentally" (wink wink) rolled up on ,and he missed a few games with the injury, or, how about Peyton Mannings broken neck?
The Saints were lucky that they got off so cheap after their little "Bounty" gig that they had going.
The fine should reflect the severity, and intent to do physical harm to another player, by being stiffer, than a guy taunting another player, that is in no way going to be physically injured by a taunt.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Ever get the impression that the Rams' DBs bring out the best in WRs?

Steve Smith gets fined for 'taunting' against the Rams. Tate gets fined for 'taunting' against...yeah you guessed it, the Rams. Not saying the taunting was right or wrong; just an observation. I guess it's best to transmit the 'taunts' verbally instead of using gestures, but it's ignorant to act as if it wasn't happening on both sides.

Smith gets a fine and not much flak from anyone. Tate gets and all-out media blitz because of being some sort of 'fail mary' villain. :roll:

warden

Reaction score
What is next, fining players who get holding penalties. Let's fine players who are flagged for pass interference.

Greedall is slowly destroying this game.

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":30nlq7ot said:
As much as I disagree with his taunting this is utter Bullshit, the team was already penalized during the game for it, it was handled in house. The league now being moal hall monitors could go thru every game and fine any player they want to with this mentality. any sack, celebration or emotional outburst could be looked at.

Yes Tates was extreme and I say wrong, but the league has no business in this other then the offcials calling the penalty. This in my opinion is another example of ex 49ers in league position with an axe to grind on the Seahawks. The last two in the position have been Gene Washington and now an Ex DB Merton Hanks I think his name is.

It should be one or the other, but not both. The league does need to make a statement and I, for one, don't want the NFL turning into some sort of professional wrestling match.

In my opinion, behavior that does not otherwise disrupt the play, like the type of taunting Tate did, spinning the ball, choreographed TD celebrations, removing helmets, that sort of thing, should be dealt with exclusively by fining players a certain percentage of their salaries. I don't see the need to influence the game with penalties that are very subjective and penalize the entire team for one player's act of selfish, attention getting behavior.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3caoj8of said:

Steve Smith gets fined for 'taunting' against the Rams. Tate gets fined for 'taunting' against...yeah you guessed it, the Rams. Not saying the taunting was right or wrong; just an observation. I guess it's best to transmit the 'taunts' verbally instead of using gestures, but it's ignorant to act as if it wasn't happening on both sides.

Smith gets a fine and not much flak from anyone. Tate gets and all-out media blitz because of being some sort of 'fail mary' villain. :roll:

The problem with your theory is blaming the whole rams team. Actually it was the same guy (Jenkins) doing the trash talking in both cases. He does not represent the rams as a whole. It's a single player issue.

themunn

Reaction score
CaptainSkybeard":396uhog1 said:
HawKnPeppa":396uhog1 said:

The problem with your theory is blaming the whole rams team. Actually it was the same guy (Jenkins) doing the trash talking in both cases. He does not represent the rams as a whole. It's a single player issue.

Maybe. But Tate was waving at the safety as Jenkins was the guy who he left in the dust.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":6nw6hscw said:
NFL has become a joke. C'mon Hawks, win the SB so I can bid adeau to this nonsense.

:lol:

It's pretty common knowledge you cannot start taunting a defensive back 25 yards away from the end zone.

Tate knows better. And of course a fine was coming.

Some of you guys are ridiculous. Dilfer doesn't like us and it turns into a 5 page whining thread. Tate is fined the equivalent of one of you being fined like 5 bucks for an obvious penalty and it's "THE NFL SUCKS!".

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":mzsxbgzk said:

If by "bring out the best" you mean they get under the skin of the opposition .. then yes. I agree. Cortland Finnegan is known more for his asshattery than play on the field.. and Janoris Jenkins has a checkered past too.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Jenkins and Finnegan were talking shit to Tate all game. But let's be real here.. if Tavon Austin or Austin Pettis make that play over Browner and then proceed to start waving at Earl Thomas.. this board would have exploded with negative thoughts towards the Ram WR. It has nothing to do with the 'fail mary'.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of having different sets of rules/codes of conduct for people at the top of the totem pole (NFL). It would send a problematic message to tell student athletes and children--that they have to act a certain way until they're really good, grow up, and go pro.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah you didn't come after me with a hard on. With your "Tri Lateral commission and the Knights Templar debate with the New World Order", barf bags, and telling someone who had an opinion that differed from yours to get off their podium. You wanna throw stones but when I tell you your opinion is stupid its not an attack on you. Its what I think of your opinion and your conspiracy theories. Go hang with Largent80, you guys are good together.

I actually would be proud to hang with Largent80..................

I was joking but some take that seriously, so instead of the Barf bag one of these may be in order.

attachment.php

Latest posts