Good Laugh from ESPN

dutchcoug

Reaction score
They ranked all position groups by team, a few of them were pretty accurate for the Seahawks but some, um, not so much.

QB
5 out of 32
Can't argue with this, teams ahead of them are expected (NE, NO, KC and GB)

RB
16 out of 32
Some of the teams ranked ahead were based on 1 player (Dal and NYG), others are just head scratchers (Cle, Cin, AZ, Pit and Min). I would put Sea at 7 or 8 based on the strength of Carson and Penny.

WR
27 out of 32
Teams like AZ, GB and Ind have 1 good WR and not much else, similar to us but are ranked much higher. I might put the Hawks at 22-25 range based on Lockett's strength and the potential of DK.

TE
26 out of 32
This is a hard one to gauge. Are they talking just receiving stats from the TE position or are they keeping in mind the contributions run blocking? If it's purely pass catching, sure, 26 makes sense. But if they are keeping in mind what they do in the run game (Dickson, Vannett, Fant and Dissly) I would put us at 15.

OL
26 out of 32
This one seriously made me laugh. I get it we aren't an elite OL but under Solari with an experience group, no way they are 26. AZ's OL is a huge mess and they put them at 25. Hell, NYG were a disaster and they were 14! A real head scratcher here, as most teams seem to be randomly placed outside of the top 10. That being said, I put Seahawks O-Line 16 out of 32.

Interior DL
29 out of 32
This is one I get them being harsh on, with Reed is suspended 6 games. Ford is a bright spot but will need to step his game up further. 29 is probable about where we belong.

Edge
23 out of 32
With Ziggy in the mix, as well as a surprise rookie year from Martin (I expect he will further step his game up) we should be a little bit higher than 23. I feel like Green will be in the rotation more and take a step up, as well as what we get from rookie Collier. I think 19 would be a fair ranking.

LB
1 out of 32
Even ESPN couldn't screw this one up. The combo of Wagner, Wright and Kenndricks is elite. As well as a couple of promising rookies, this one was a no-brainer.

CB
32 out of 32
Well, I figured our unit was going to be pretty far down the list but last? I feel like Flowers is going to get even better this year and Griffen is due for a bounce back year. Losing Coleman hurts the slot position but this coaching staff is good at finding players that fit and coaching them up in the secondary. The one I found the funniest was LAR at 3. Peters was terrible and Talib is 33 and regressing. That being said, I would put us at 24.

Safety
23 of 32
Hard to argue with this ranking, McDonald is solid (can pay either position), after that, a lot of question marks. Will Blair play this year? Will Hill or Thompson step in. WIll Ugo come out of nowhere and take over the FS spot?

Special Teams
They didn't actually rank this position group, which is strange. If they had, I think Seattle would have been top 3. Dickson going into his 2nd year is already one of the best in the league (if not best) at punter. Meyer was a pro bowler last year and we just gave Ott an extension.

Overall
23 out of 32
Do you really think the Seahawks are the 23rd best team in the league? Better question do you think AZ, SF and Det are better?

Here's the link to the article https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/27262652/ranking-every-nfl-position-group-1-32

HawkGA

Reaction score
Ranking the #1 rushing offense middle of the road is, shall we say curious?

OP
OP
dutchcoug

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Not to mention the OL and TE so low, those are also a huge reason for the #1 rush offense.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Based on our play/record last season, then adding in personnel losses this off-season, draft/FA additions, player development/improvement, are the Seahawks simply greater than the sum of their parts?

And if this is the case, how much of the credit goes to the coaching staff? Other reasons? Home field advantage?

Or did they just seriously under-rank several of these categories?

xray

Reaction score
Wilson---Carson---the LB group are really the only sure things that I see this season . There are so many questions all around the Hawks ; especially on defense . I wouldn't venture to guess the rank overall at this point in time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
A common theme here is they overlooked depth in favor of big names. We're ranked well at QB and LB because those are our remaining stars.

Which other teams would you swap our entire RB depth chart with?
Hawks: Chris Carson, Rashaad Penny, Travis Homer, CJ Prosise, JD McKissic, Bo Scarbrough

I can only find four:
Broncos: Phillip Lindsay, Devontae Booker, Royce Freeman, Devontae Jackson, Dave Williams, Khalfani Muhammad
Saints: Alvin Kamara, Latavius Murray, Rob Kelley, Dwayne Washington, Devine Ozigbo
Giants: Saquon Barkley, Rod Smith, Paul Perkins, Jon Hilliman, Elijhaa Perry, Wayne Gallman
Ravens: Mark Ingram, Kenneth Dixon, Gus Edwards, Tyler Ervin, Justice Hill, De'Lance Turner

I'd probably put us 5th at RBs based on that logic.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I can't even muster up the energy to get even slightly annoyed at lists. They are almost always way off, and mean absolutely nothing. Meh

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Locker room bulletin board fodder. Just add the chips ESPN.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HawkGA":28o5t4f8 said:

Technically, they rated the RBs middle the pack - not the "rushing offense". The rushing offense includes backs, QB, O line, TEs, and WRs.

But yes... still curious.

D

DomeHawk

FlyingGreg":10fyb2b6 said:
HawkGA":10fyb2b6 said:

Technically, they rated the RBs middle the pack - not the "rushing offense". The rushing offense includes backs, QB, O line, TEs, and WRs.

But yes... still curious.

Like all stats, there is more to the story. The Seahawks also run much more than just about everybody so the "#1 rushing offense" is somewhat skewed.

Having said that, we should be top-10 at least.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
jammerhawk":1f71k35a said:
E S P N = Eastern Stupid People Network.

LOL, absolutely perfect. Thanks for the laugh. Minus Hasselbeck, which I will watch the post game stuff because of him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Chris Carson was the 5th leading rusher in the NFL. 4.9 YPC ranks pretty high in ESPN's own rankings.

xray

Reaction score
HawkGA":2fbtetqz said:

If these are predictions for this season ; I can predict this . The Hawks will not be the #1 rushing offense again this year. They will be top 10 maybe .

xray

Reaction score
The middle ranking for rushing ; might be because Penny didn't impress like his other 2 rookie 1st round picks in 2017. I wish he rushes for 1,000 yards this year ; but doubt he will. He is missing that " it " factor to be a great RB in this league.
Don't get me wrong here ; Penny is a good RB ; but will stay @ #2 RB unless Carson goes down . There are a couple of rookies that they didn't take into consideration . My favorite is Homer.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
ranking our CB unit as the worst in football when Pete Carroll is the coach is just lazy. They will finish in the top half of the league guaranteed.

HawkGA

Reaction score
xray":229iztif said:
HawkGA":229iztif said:

If these are predictions for this season ; I can predict this . The Hawks will not be the #1 rushing offense again this year. They will be top 10 maybe .

Not sure why you are predicting they won't have the #1 rushing offense. I mean, it is a tall hill to climb to be #1 as opposed to say, #2. But I certainly wouldn't rule out them being #1.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":1eea0s1o said:
xray":1eea0s1o said:
HawkGA":1eea0s1o said:

Not sure why you are predicting they won't have the #1 rushing offense. I mean, it is a tall hill to climb to be #1 as opposed to say, #2. But I certainly wouldn't rule out them being #1.

The list is "Running backs", not "team rushing."...............and there in lies the rub.

Some of you are confusing the writer's criteria for these rankings. I agree I too think Carson is under valued by most, but he's also now only had one fully healthy year, and hasn't quite broken through as one of the league's elite runners like others who are ahead of him on these types of lists.

The O-line is really the only one I'd REALLY disagree with. With Brown now in his 2nd full season as our line's leader and a top 7-10 LT, IMO we're going to have one nasty run grating O-line. Now whether they can improve upon the poor pass blocking? We'll see, but definitely should be higher than 26.