Grading Seahawks 2024 Free Agents

pmedic920

Reaction score

sutz

Reaction score
I shared to start a conversation and I input all the time..thought it might be of interest..I guess I'll stop? 🤔
No reason to stop, but just posting a blind link with no quotes out of it or any comments by you to start the convo doesn't always work for all of us. Personally, I like to get a preview of what the link contains and a comment as to how accurate or pertinent the original poster thinks it is. YMMV.

Jac

Reaction score
A big series of "B's" (based in part on compensation) feels like the best way to start re-building this roster.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Overall the Seahawks did what they needed to do.

They don't have the cap to spend on flashy players, but even if they did, with a new coaching staff and John at the helm, it's best to get roleplayers and integrate into Macdonald's system with cheap, affordable, yet serviceable players rather than spend big money on someone and things fail to produce because if they did you know you're not in the hole with some expensive and most likely overrated player *cough* Adams *cough*

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Agree with most of these grades. I'm not sure about the assessment of Dodson as being the 'alpha' of the LB corps. That might be the plan, but I kind of doubt a first time starter who was typically pulled in pass-obvious situations is not who I think of as the quarterback of the defense. I know he played as an ILB this past season but he's still listed as an OLB by PFR (and Madden), so that might not even be his natural position.

Time will tell what the rest of our LB corps looks like going forward, obviously, so maybe I'll be proven wrong here.

Otherwise, pretty good assessment of our free agency to this point.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think FA has gone pretty ok. Filled some holes, re-signed some guys who fit in MM future. No flashes, but also some really solid signings.

What you're not seeing yet is the trades for picks that I may have expected from a team that expects next year to be a down year. I think JS/MM thinks they can piece together a better team than we had last year. Instead we've given up some draft positioning for a backup QB.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If you listen to Mike McDonald talk, theres a lot of alignment with these moves, which I love. His priority is establishing a tough, smart, aggressive team. It's confusing for some, because it doesn't look like a youth movement. But they're doing what they set out to do.

evergreen

Reaction score
The splash ones usually suck. You’re paying high prices. I’m glad they passed on Queen or Brooks. They’re JAGs. Losing BW was just time to move on. I’m not panicking about the QB trade. Worst case we get a back up cheap. Best case is qbotf. Probably in between some where. Remember we made a splash last year and Jones isn’t Him. Not making splashes is better

toffee

Reaction score
Let's see:

QB : + Howell is younger
RB : no change
WR: no change
TE: we may miss Parkinson?
OL: - last year was a 'F', now better at Tacke but no guards .

DK: the same three amigos
EG: same as last year
LB: + better
S: dunno
CB: the same amigos.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Agree with most of these grades. I'm not sure about the assessment of Dodson as being the 'alpha' of the LB corps. That might be the plan, but I kind of doubt a first time starter who was typically pulled in pass-obvious situations is not who I think of as the quarterback of the defense. I know he played as an ILB this past season but he's still listed as an OLB by PFR (and Madden), so that might not even be his natural position.

Time will tell what the rest of our LB corps looks like going forward, obviously, so maybe I'll be proven wrong here.

Otherwise, pretty good assessment of our free agency to this point.

I think the plan is Colson but taking him at #16 is way too high, JS needs to trade down a bit and not tip his hand in the process, so signing Dodson & Baker may be part of that strategy to secure Colson if we could get him early 2nd. Its interesting because the Brooks draft was a similar issue, now we're having to do it all over again.

Chawker

Reaction score
We all know you build a team though the draft. Finding good back up players in free agency and keeping costs as low as possible will pay off in the long run.

Oh, what scale do you wish us to use grading them on ?

I'll give them a 8.6 out of 10 if thats ok with you.

The Seahawks will be "MIGHTY" once again !

Cheers

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think some of the guys we drafted last year and the year before are gonna see some play time. That is the melding of the old and what they will have this year. There have been some changes and they seem for the better. So I think the new coaching staff sees what they have to work with and are fine tuning some aspects.

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
Defense was horrible last year. They got rid of some of the problems.

But the replacements are underwhelming

Offense basically unchanged