Grantland ranks Russel 2nd most valuable asset to Rodgers

rastahawk

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I posed question about a veteran franchise QB like Brady coming to Seattle to fit a missing piece for a super bowl run. Would it cheapen a victory a bit considering he was not a product of our team and culture. At the end of the day, surprising to me, everyone didn't have a problem with it although in the history books he will be remembered as Brady the Patriot.

Aaron is a Packer. That's that. At this point in the game I wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade. I am so jazzed by the fact that we have this young kid that burst into the scene, gets developed in this system, is a product of "our" environment, and flashes all the tangibles and intangibles of being able to take us all the way. This is such a dream scenario for me to win our first in this way. We scouted him, we developed him, we succeeded with him. Its kind of a weird way of looking at it but if it happens I would prefer it over any other way. It hammers home the fact that we won because we earned it.

formido

Reaction score
Wilson should be #1. Lots of good reasons already mentioned. Also, you want to have a QB that players would run through walls for. I'm not sure if there's any QB ranked higher than Wilson on that list, and I know damn sure Rodgers ain't.

kearly

Reaction score
Barnwell did good having Wilson in the top 2. But overall, I think he had a very flawed list and that flaw comes from his basic premise of trade value. In the NFL, players are not traded for other players straight up very often. Instead, they are traded for a currency or commodity- usually draft picks.

Measuring players by what they are worth "on the market" is how value is actually determined by GMs. The same way that an appraiser puts a dollar value on a work of art- instead of comparing it to other works.

Barnwell undervalues Sherman, but aside from that, he was way off the mark when he talked about trading Sherman for AP. Seattle would be crazy to do that deal. The upgrade from Lynch to AP is marginal, and the dollar value that Sherman adds (minus his tiny contract) is one of the best differentials in the NFL. Further, how much would Richard Sherman get in a trade right now? Probably at least what Revis got the Jets- probably more. We're probably talking two 1sts or equivalent value. He's that good plus he's dirt cheap. He's a massive asset- especially to every other NFL team that is starving for even one good corner. I think his value is probably on par with JJ Watt's (unless Watt starts getting 20 sacks every single year).

Now, how much would AP get in a trade? Maybe a 1st rounder? We just had a draft with zero RBs taken in the 1st round, and it's nearly happened in several other recent drafts as well. AP has a ton of miles on his tires, isn't cheap, and has just two remaining seasons before 30. He also has an injury history, and he's coming off a huge year he probably won't repeat. In terms of currency price, Sherman would probably be top 10 or top 15. AP would probably be in the 40s.

Another example: Barnwell has Demarcus Ware at nearly the same value as Sherman. Ware is a HoFer, but he's 31 and already declining (and is expensive). He probably has 2nd round pick level trade value right now. He probably shouldn't be a top 50 trade value player, even if he's still pretty good and has had a fantastic career.

kearly

Reaction score
Speaking of our RB, anyone else notice that Lynch didn't make the top 50? He didn't even get an honorably mention. I'm actually okay with that. I think Lynch carries roughly a 2nd round trade value right now.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
kearly":2tyu85nf said:
but aside from that, he was way off the mark when he talked about trading Sherman for AP. Seattle would be crazy to do that deal. The upgrade from Lynch to AP is marginal, and the dollar value that Sherman adds (minus his tiny contract) is one of the best differentials in the NFL.

Kearly, great points. I do want to correct this idea, though. In the first half of the trade value list, Barnwell sets out that we should try to imagine these trades in more of a vacuum; so, if we didn't have Lynch running for us, but we had a league-average player starting at RB instead, then we would make the trade for AP, at least in Barnwell's estimation.

I agree that this estimation is wrongheaded, but each trade in this exerciseis proposed based on replacing a league-average player with the player that is traded for.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
kearly":3r2jnqta said:
Speaking of our RB, anyone else notice that Lynch didn't make the top 50? He didn't even get an honorably mention. I'm actually okay with that. I think Lynch carries roughly a 2nd round trade value right now.
RBs in general don't have a lot of value. Why do you think Adrian Peterson was 30th?? No way Lynch should be even considered in the top 50. Not a slight against Lynch. Just a testament to the RB position

Edit: Just want to put it on record that I believe Lynch is a top 5 RB in this league. Don't want people to construe this post as a knock on Lynch.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
formido":1nqk13dl said:
Wilson should be #1. Lots of good reasons already mentioned. Also, you want to have a QB that players would run through walls for. I'm not sure if there's any QB ranked higher than Wilson on that list, and I know damn sure Rodgers ain't.
Imagine Aaron with a running game equivalent to the Hawks. I think you'd see a rise in his game which is already near perfect to begin with. Rogers is one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

Regarding the "running through walls" for Wilson crap, it's apparent you don't know professional athletes. These guys compete for paychecks and prestige, not for who their QB is. Sure , Wilson is a great leader and undoubtedly helps prepares his team, but don't think his teammates step on the field and battle harder because Wilson is their QB. That's a knock on your players if you actually believe that.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":2bfc7p52 said:
short mobile QBs are notorious for being injury prone (Jeff Garcia, Michael Vick, Steve Young, etc).

I'm sorry....but you just made that up.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3epenm00 said:
If Rodgers hadn't thrown a hissy fit, I might debate the trade in my head. However, Rodgers did, so I won't. I expect Wilson to have more Super Bowl wins under his belt by the end of his career.
Rodgers doesn't have Wilsons wheels, or athleticism, AND, Wilson is being groomed to run the system in Seattle, the way that Bevel/Carroll/Cable have designed for him.
Rodgers?, Brady?, Manning?, no.
They are running their own systems, same goes for Luck, RGIII, and all the others.
Wilson is just as much the student to the game of Football as ANY one of them, only Wilson is growing the Seahawks Offense to compete with ANY one of those.
Russell Wilson is quickly becoming the BEST Quarterback in Seahawks history, so again, > WOULD NOT TRADE<.
If that makes me a homer?, so be it.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":1bjigtws said:
formido":1bjigtws said:
Regarding the "running through walls" for Wilson crap, it's apparent you don't know professional athletes. These guys compete for paychecks and prestige, not for who their QB is. Sure , Wilson is a great leader and undoubtedly helps prepares his team, but don't think his teammates step on the field and battle harder because Wilson is their QB. That's a knock on your players if you actually believe that.

Spoken exactly like a fan whose qb wore sunglasses INDOORS during the entire ESPYs.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":3h6rci7k said:
formido":3h6rci7k said:
Imagine Aaron with a running game equivalent to the Hawks. I think you'd see a rise in his game which is already near perfect to begin with. Rogers is one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

Bullshit sohoho, Russell Wilson, Golden Tate, and their ladies hung out together quite a bit last Year ,and word has it that Percy Harvin is now getting in the groove with those two this off Season.
Those two have a deep respect for Wilson, and how he cerebrally approaches the game, and they will continue to read the notes that he stickys to their locker, because he wants them to have a heads-up on the habits of Defensive players, and how they cover.
As far as Rodgers, and the lack of running game in GB, that's been by design.
Different game plans from both teams.
AND, Matt Flynn didn't quite fit with the Seahawks heavy run game, and it was obvious that what he'd learned while at GB, had an anchoring effect on his approach.
Not saying that Rodgers wouldn't be able to pick up on the change-up, but RW had it fresh from the start, and he worked it in during Pre-Season games last Year, and that's why Pete Carroll named him the Starting Quarterback, before regular Season even started.
Tate, Rice, and Baldwin, have come to believe that Wilson can deliver, and so will Harvin, after a few games they'll be playing together.
You can't tell me that Kaepernick and Michael Crabtree, didn't build a rap. with each other last Season, because of the trust that they had in each other.
That connection doesn't always click, and respect & trust plays a huge role in making it happen.
EXAMPLE: Jerry Rice didn't quite mesh up with Seattle's Quarterbacks, like he did with Joe Montana ,and Joe Montana didn't quite have the same success while playing for the Chiefs, because his favorite target, Jerry Rice wasn't a part of Montana's new team, yet BOTH of those guys are HOF players.