Wilson confirms Seahawks tried to trade him in 2018

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I recall watching the halftime show a few years ago between Bills/Chiefs.
Terry Bradshaw says "you can’t teach accuracy" and basically said Josh Allen will never be an accurate QB.

That was the popular narrative at the time on Josh Allen. So all of this "I wish we picked up Josh Allen" talk is all now rosy, ignore the past, made up narrative.

Because back then, everyone but the Bills faithful thought he sucked.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Yes, I absolutely believe the power structure has changed when it comes to personnel decisions/acquisitions. After the season ended last year and Jody met with both Pete and JS, I thought there were some reports or at least rumors that Jody had ripped some of the power from PC, and JS was given more power over personnel decisions including the draft, which frankly is the way it should have been from the start.

And based on the most recent draft, I think a solid argument could be made that this draft was primarily John's. We didn't reach on any of our picks as we've typically done in the past, and ended up having I believe one of our best drafts since JS and PC took over. I personally believe the poor drafts of the past 7 or 8 years were primarily on Pete who's always had veto power over any personnel decisions.

I don't have anything concrete to support my opinion/theory other than a stark and obvious difference in draft strategy.
I vaguely remember hearing or reading something to the affect that some of the power between Pete and John had shifted. When they were hired it was of an equal footing kind of thing. I am almost positive that it was a shifting of authority into John’s power. This past draft enforced it for me.

chrispy

Reaction score
I anticipate incumbent/FA/rookie 3-way competition in Training Camp frequently in the future.

A cheap rookie QB contract is such an advantage but only if the player is good. Almost every rookie takes a few seasons to catch on. Wilson changed our perspective but we're probably unrealistic. Suppose JS drafts a QB in 23. It's not a stretch to believe there will still be a competition at the position. There would have been with Allen in 18 too. ...and he probably would have sat for a while.

Regardless of what could have been, I'm curious if '23 competition is Lock, Geno and rookie or some other combination. If that combination, Geno probably starts all '22 and does well. If else, Lock takes starter position and a different FA comes in.

BASF

Reaction score
People are not being realistic on the Allen thing.
Nobody remembers Matt vs Dilfer? 1/2 the fan base was screaming for one, then another for the other.
You honestly believe that in that 1st year or 2 when Allen was struggling with accuracy issues - the fanbase would not be freaking out that we traded a HOF QB for a rookie that was struggling when most of our roster was fairly strong?

People would have lost their minds.

Allen was great last night. He flashed greatness even a few years ago. But 3-4 years ago, people would be very upset...because we would look like a solid roster with a struggling QB that could have been competing for the playoffs if only we had kept Wilson.

Our fan base is not that patient. Watch what happens to it if Pete starts losing. If Pete/JS had traded away our star QB and suddenly we started to struggle, even miss the playoffs?
People would abandon this team in droves.
Agree with the premise, but the way you have worded this is basically swapping Wilson and Allen straight up. We would have easily had five top two round picks out of trading Wilson at that time plus at least a few veterans. Does not mean that the fans would be any more savvy, but the haul would have made it a lot more palatable.

As far as Wilson "confirming" the news that his agent "found out" that the Seahawks tried to trade him? Did you expect Wilson to deny what his agent is saying?

As far as this being a smear campaign? What exactly do the Seahawks have to gain from a smear campaign? Some of their fair weather bandwagon jumping fans not being on Wilson's side? That is not going to help them win games. The Wilson marks will always be Wilson marks.

The best post regarding this whole situation was from flv2 in which he pointed out that if we were willing to trade up for Allen, we would have attempted to trade with everyone before he was drafted. We have never heard of any of those trade attempts. The only way this trade attempt makes sense without the follow up attempts is if we wanted Mayfield (paging Welshers, please pick up the obvious talking points [but he apparently didn't catch it])

toffee

Reaction score
The Russ camp's leaking of Hawks tried to trade Russ multiple times may buy sympathy from Bronco fans and average ESPN readers, but it's backfiring among 12s. Most 12s are asking ourselves, won't we be better off with Allen or Mahomes?

flv2

Reaction score
...I'm curious if '23 competition is Lock, Geno and rookie or some other combination.
Maybe the 2022 winner of the Smith/Lock duel signs a FA contract to return to Seattle to battle the incoming rookie. I can't see an obvious reason why the loser would come back, (maybe if the winner had already signed elsewhere). No reason for both of them to return if the Seahawks are looking at high 1st round pick QBs. I think it's more likely the Seahawks move on from both 2022 QBs to give the 2023 rookie a clear path.

Torc

Reaction score
He doesn't or can't use those same tools to his advantage because we are a run-first time who had a QB who is accurate and good enough to throw it more than we want to. You've basically given a race car driver a station wagon and asked him to be a safe driver in hopes everyone else crashes and burns around you when he actually has the tools to drive an actual race car. Lets not forget he also had 3 offensive coordinators his last 4 seasons. Something was not working and it will likely continue to not work this season.

"improvement" isn't being a good soldier and handing the ball off when your running game isn't working, either.
Yes, 3 OCs in his last 4 seasons, and almost no difference in the results.

Who was the common thread in all 4 of those seasons? Hint: he touched the ball on every play.

Russ basically chose the OC last year. We saw the difference in the offense as even the announcers were surprised at how much movement and misdirection there was in the presnap phase of the first game. THAT is what a new OC brought. End result? Next game that misdirection was gone, never to be seen again. You can't tell me that's on the coordinator. And to me that's the single fact that speaks the most about Russell Wilson. He's the best QB the team has ever had. But a decent chunk of the offensive struggles (including setting an NFL record for first drive futility a few years ago) are squarely on his shoulders, IMO.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I don’t know if you e heard but RW is one of the best QB’s in the WORLD.

Apparently they have QB’s in China, Africa, Russia, Europe, South America and beyond.

I don’t know why he stopped at the WORLD. Why not go for the UNIVERSE?
Was told by a source that the Romulans and Vulcans and Ferengi were vying for him....Denver got him first.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Yes, I absolutely believe the power structure has changed when it comes to personnel decisions/acquisitions. After the season ended last year and Jody met with both Pete and JS, I thought there were some reports or at least rumors that Jody had ripped some of the power from PC, and JS was given more power over personnel decisions including the draft, which frankly is the way it should have been from the start.

And based on the most recent draft, I think a solid argument could be made that this draft was primarily John's. We didn't reach on any of our picks as we've typically done in the past, and ended up having I believe one of our best drafts since JS and PC took over. I personally believe the poor drafts of the past 7 or 8 years were primarily on Pete who's always had veto power over any personnel decisions.

I don't have anything concrete to support my opinion/theory other than a stark and obvious difference in

Poor little Russ, big bad Carroll. Team Russ is working overtime painting victimhood for the Monday matchup where the long suffering Russ will finally play as he is capable of without being handcuffed by evil Pete.
What really pisses me off is tDenver media making it out to be that the Seahawks are smearing Wilson! They are making wilson a victim in all this and quite frankly that makes me sick and makes me dis like Wilson even more! Just sayin man... i mean if Seattle had a reason why they wanted to trade him , it s a frigging business thats the nfl... sorry your feelings got hurt Russ time to man up!

Vesuve

Reaction score
The Russ camp's leaking of Hawks tried to trade Russ multiple times may buy sympathy from Bronco fans and average ESPN readers, but it's backfiring among 12s. Most 12s are asking ourselves, won't we be better off with Allen or Mahomes?
Under Pete?

These 2 QBs would have been used very differently under PC.

Vesuve

Reaction score
If the Seahawks tried to trade Wilson for Allen then presumably this is what's being intimated?:

The Seahawks wanted Allen. They offered Wilson to the Browns for the #1 pick with which the Seahawks would pick Allen. The Browns declined and picked Mayfield.
The Seahawks offered Wilson to the Giants for the #2 pick. The Giants declined and picked Barkley.
The Seahawks offered Wilson to the Jets for the #3 pick. The Jets declined and picked Darnold.
The Seahawks tried to trade with the Browns for the #4 pick with a pick/player package excluding Wilson with a view to trading Wilson somewhere else later on. The Browns declined and picked Ward.
The Seahawks offered Wilson to the Broncos for the #5 pick. The Broncos declined and picked Chubb.
The Seahawks tried to trade with the Colts for the #6 pick with a pick/player package excluding Wilson with a view to trading Wilson somewhere else later on. The Colts declined and picked Nelson.
The Seahawks offered Wilson to the Bills for the #7 pick. The Bills declined and picked Allen.

If not the case then why not? If they did wouldn't everyone have heard about this before now?
Are all these potential moves verified as true?

Forgive my ignorance.

keasley45

Reaction score
I recall watching the halftime show a few years ago between Bills/Chiefs.
Terry Bradshaw says "you can’t teach accuracy" and basically said Josh Allen will never be an accurate QB.

That was the popular narrative at the time on Josh Allen. So all of this "I wish we picked up Josh Allen" talk is all now rosy, ignore the past, made up narrative.

Because back then, everyone but the Bills faithful thought he sucked.
The Bills faithful and the Hawks FO

keasley45

Reaction score
What really pisses me off is tDenver media making it out to be that the Seahawks are smearing Wilson! They are making wilson a victim in all this and quite frankly that makes me sick and makes me dis like Wilson even more! Just sayin man... i mean if Seattle had a reason why they wanted to trade him , it s a frigging business thats the nfl... sorry your feelings got hurt Russ time to man up!

It's just a matter of time before the truth in all this is played out in its entirely. There's been speculation for years that Russ wasn't liked by his teammates because he wasn't held accountable, yet received the accolades for successes and basked in the glory of it. The unity around the team now and return of stars who for years have stayed away, plus the words of KJ Wright in a recent interview confirm that.

Debate has raged about who was to blame for the Seahawks offensive woes... or rather, hiw much of its ceiling was attributable to its qb. And now we find out that the FO didn't see Russ the way he sees himself nor his hard-core supporters see him and wanted him replaced. Why would they replace an all world talent? And better yet, why would teams like the Browns and Giants spurn an offer to bring on an 'elite' qb like Russ? - franchises that have been hurting for proven talent at the position.if the Pack had dangled Rodgers, do you think get still be in GB?

All that's left is for Russ's play over the course of a season, out from under the meddling hands of Pete and a crap Shane Waldron ( wait, Russ loved Shane at the beginning of 2021...) , to lay plain what all the tape has shown now for a long time... that his stats and propensity for the big play don't tell the whole story.

I suppose Russ had no choice to defend his legacy and try to see what he could do under a different coach and philosophy. Thats 200% his right. But the childish way he's gone about it in tearing down the place that gave him the platform to succeed in his own unique way - not a way that's necessarily sustainable or desirable for the longterm success of a franchise, is unfortunate.

flv2

Reaction score
Are all these potential moves verified as true?

Forgive my ignorance.
No. It questions the veracity of the Seahawks trading for the #1 pick. The Seahawks supposedly tried to trade Wilson to the Browns for the #1 pick because they wanted Allen. If true then why wouldn't they trade Wilson for a lower pick if they'd still get Allen with that lower pick? The pick # wasn't important, the player was. Trying to get Allen at #1 but not trying to get him at #2-7 wouldn't make sense.

keasley45

Reaction score
No. It questions the veracity of the Seahawks trading for the #1 pick. The Seahawks supposedly tried to trade Wilson to the Browns for the #1 pick because they wanted Allen. If true then why wouldn't they trade Wilson for a lower pick if they'd still get Allen with that lower pick? The pick # wasn't important, the player was. Trying to get Allen at #1 but not trying to get him at #2-7 wouldn't make sense.

It doesn't say who else they might have talked to in the process. Just that they were working with the Browns. It also doesn't say how aggressively we were trying to package a deal. But the Browns were for certain the most desperate team that year.

You also can't dismiss the notion that the market for Wilson, outside of the Browns might not have been that hot. Any FO trying to get a franchise guy that can legitimately run a system, might justifiably think twice about Russ. If they're looking for merch and ticket sales, no doubt. I know it's sacrilege to say, but there's a reason the guy has a known defensive strategy that can stop him that's he's yet to overcome.

themunn

Reaction score

Browns also had the 4th pick

Trading Wilson on draft day I would imagine is very unlikely - the call would have gone out well before then

flv2

Reaction score
Browns also had the 4th pick

Trading Wilson on draft day I would imagine is very unlikely - the call would have gone out well before then
They did, but since they selected Mayfield at #1 they wouldn't have accepted Wilson for the #4 pick. The Seahawks would have had to put togther a trade package that didn't include Wilson. That would have been tricky to say the least. It would have been easier for the Seahawks to trade for the #2, #3, #5, or #7 picks.

rcaido

Reaction score
Exactly, this whole thing about us getting Allen was not the intent. Seahawks were gunning for Mayfield, Chris Simms mention this "crazy rumor"

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
But they didn't trade him. Interesting IF this is all accurate regardless. But does it really matter? Not really.