Great article on Lockett

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
McGruff":158698xx said:
Lords of Scythia":158698xx said:
McGruff":158698xx said:
Graham is not a receiver. He's a TE. And while he might flex out occasionally, he's not going to play receiver as a regular position. I think Darrell and Pete have learned from Harvin that you don't alter your philosophy and identity to cater to one player. Graham will play mostly in line, and occasionally flex out to the slot or flanker, like we have occasionally done with Wilson and even Lynch.
Graham played quite a bit as a receiver at NO. He actually filed a lawsuit over his franchise tag $ because he wanted to be paid as a rec, which is quite a bit more. Him linining up at rec will give us deadly options next season. GO HAWKS!

People keep saying this, but first all, it's not entirely true. The vast majority of those WR snaps were 5 yards or les off the line. Not even slot.

Second of all, how New Orleans used him is irrelevant. How Seattle uses him is what matters. And I am guessing that as long as Cable, Bennett and Pete are here, we can expect our TE'S to be in line e more often than not.
I would hope that Carroll, and Bevell have more common sense. If Bevell uses Graham in this fashion then he will have proven his incompetence.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
netskier":2kts9ieu said:
What if Pete tells him to do this?
I don't think that Carroll would do that. I get the distinct impression that Pete Carroll takes more of a hands off approach on the offensive playcalling, and play designs. I think he tells Bevell what he wants from his offense, and allows Bevell and Cable to hammer out the fine details. Obviously they have to run it through Carroll before it gets implemented into the playbook, however I think that Carroll is lax when it comes to this.

netskier

Reaction score
What if Pete does do this despite your doubt? Whom do we blame if we see JG deployed inline?

We need a sports reporter to find who is responsible if this happens.

I hope I am right and Magruff is wrong. This will be interesting to see play out.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don't understand the argument.

Seahawks never had an elite receiving TE to really compare whether or not. Its reasonable to think they'll play to Graham's strengths as receiver.

Its also understandable that our commitment to a strong running game, Graham knows and understands that he'll have to get better as a blocker. He has the size and athleticism to be solid.

I don't think all that much will change, both the player and the scheme will probably meet in the middle.

Seahawks spent most of 2014 with both Willson and Helfet at TE. Both weren't necessary strong blockers especially in-line but the run game was still one of the most dominate in NFL history in the DVOA era.

Part of the reason, Zach Miller spent so much time in-line as a blocker was out of necessity.

In 2011, you had rookie Carpenter and raw Giacomini.

In 2012, the line was a little more stable, so we saw Zach Miller the receiver a lot more.

In 2013, you had injured Okung and overmatched Paul McQuistan manning LT. You had injured Giacomini and rookie Bowie manning RT. Miller was needed as a blocker more than any other season in his career.

2015, hasn't happened yet. We don't know how injuries will affect the scheme or if at all. Seahawks could get lucky in that aspect.

I do know if Seahawks make a Superbowl relying on Luke Willson and Cooper Helfet at the position they'll do just fine with Graham as a TE. Even at TE, teams would be foolish to completely stack the box to stop the run and the read option attack probably gets even more dangerous when you have Graham matched up on a DE in a run set only to chip his block and take off up the seam or settle in a soft zone.

Graham doesn't need to be used as big WR to find success. Seahawks can keep true to thier scheme but if they are smart, if Bevell is smart, he'll take advantages of the mis-matches Graham creates at a variety of positions.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2kks7zev said:
McGruff":2kks7zev said:
Graham is not a receiver. He's a TE. And while he might flex out occasionally, he's not going to play receiver as a regular position. I think Darrell and Pete have learned from Harvin that you don't alter your philosophy and identity to cater to one player. Graham will play mostly in line, and occasionally flex out to the slot or flanker, like we have occasionally done with Wilson and even Lynch.
Graham played quite a bit as a receiver at NO. He actually filed a lawsuit over his franchise tag $ because he wanted to be paid as a rec, which is quite a bit more. Him linining up at rec will give us deadly options next season. GO HAWKS!

Exactly, just think of graham as a wide out and it will be a lot easier on ya.. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 tight ends AND jimmy out there he is a large receiver :)

I'm excited for this season...

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1hlzmp9j said:
I keep reminding myself to temper my enthusiasm about this kid. WR's take time to grow in the NFL (usually) but I think he'll have an impact as a PR/KR right away.

But, after watching a fair amount of his game tape...damn! Did you see some of the moves he put on DB's while running at full speed? Wow.

Don't be afraid. Dive right in.

I'm super enthusiastic about the Lockett pick. In terms of just simple receiving skills, I still believe he is at the very top of the entire class. He has both a natural sense for route running, as well as a tireless work ethic to improve it.

I don't think it'll take much, if any, time for him to burst onto the scene as a starter. And to provide immediate impact as a reliable third down conversion asset. To me, he's a WR version of Sherman in his attention to details and the ability to dynamically adapt technique. He has moves on top of moves.

Seattle's biggest liability has been a lack of ability for our receivers to get open. And I don't see any other prospect in this class who is of Lockett's caliber in terms of getting open on demand. What's crazy is how often he gets open, despite the focus of the defense on him.

Don't hold back. This kid has all the tools to be a special player. And the inner fire to elevate and evolve his game to match this level of competition.

What I do hope, is that he improves his ability to handle the high heat fastballs. He struggled with coming down with those balls, and Wilson has a tendency to fire high. I'm not sure if Lockett will ever get truly good at making those catches -- his length and hands are really short and small.

I'm not tempering my enthusiasm at all for Lockett. I fully expect he'll be exquisitely suited to be ready to go out of the box. Of all the WRs in this draft, I expect Lockett to have the easiest transition to this level.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Here's a non-homer perspective.

When watching him predraft, I was never all that impressed with his physical attributes. I saw him as better than average rather than elite physically, but I was very impressed with the mind games he played with defensive backs. He is not as fast or quick as some say (or as his 40 time says), but he varies his speed so much that he luls dbs into committing early.

What I saw when I watched him was a very clever route runner with decent speed and decent quickness. If he gets in the same page with Wilson it will be a good match.

DJrmb

Reaction score

netskier

Reaction score
My Homer perspective is that he is gifted with high amounts of all the important receiver attributes, and derives massive synergy from their combination. This is amplified by being trained by his NFL receiver father and uncle, plus his track and basketball star mother. These three family winners have taught him how to win, so that he became a four year NCAA all american. This combination of his athleticism and psychological preparedness is his key to success, and what makes him extremely NFL ready.

I am psyched to watch him play.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I like what Lockett can do as a return guy this season (I think of Leon Washington type numbers as the season goes on and the guy adjusts to the NFL speed), but as far as a full-time WR THIS YEAR I think he will be ok/good but won't get enough touches with guys like Baldwin (in the slot) and Graham being the teams main targets. WR take 2-3 years usually before they start to really develope and I think Lockett may by the guy the team is grooming to be the slot guy when Baldwin's contract is up.

I really like what the team has going at WR, TE and RB, now it's just a matter of getting everyone touches.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/06/09/richard-sherman-tuesday-ota-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

At the link above, Sherman was speaking after the OTA yesterday (Monday) and said he believes that Lockett is very dynamic and said he'll be equally as effective as a returner as Harvin was.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
The interesting thing about Lockett is his attributes are very similar to Percy Harvin, except he is a better route runner, smarter player without the head case. I don't think I have ever been more excited about a Hawks team going into the season. Our only questions is the O-Line?

pmedic920

Reaction score
I liked the Clayton/Duper analogy posted above.

Even if you don't/ didn't care for the Phins, that was some exciting football to watch. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433959554512474

Imagine, If we got some of "that" going on here.
OMG AWESOME SUACE :{)

Edit: mixed with a top 5 run game AND # 1 or 2 ranked "D" AND the baddest ass Ninja Punter in whole world.

See my sig.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
kidhawk":1cza4swl said:
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/06/09/richard-sherman-tuesday-ota-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

At the link above, Sherman was speaking after the OTA yesterday (Monday) and said he believes that Lockett is very dynamic and said he'll be equally as effective as a returner as Harvin was.
That alone would make our draft an A.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2tu5ml4u said:
kidhawk":2tu5ml4u said:

That alone would make our draft an A.

The only difference he notted was Lockett isn't as physical as Harvin, as he's just not as big. I don't think that's nearly as important in return duties but could be more substantial when it comes to playing on offense

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
FPD":3ictvri2 said:
MysterMatt":3ictvri2 said:
I keep reminding myself to temper my enthusiasm about this kid. WR's take time to grow in the NFL (usually) but I think he'll have an impact as a PR/KR right away.

But, after watching a fair amount of his game tape...damn! Did you see some of the moves he put on DB's while running at full speed? Wow.
You took the words right out of my mouth Matt. I have my reservations about the kid due to his small stature, but man his game tape looks good!

I suppose stature might me an issue in some situations, but a least he's not motoring about on spindly little bird rollers, ala Richardson. Staying healthy gives him the best chance to work into the fold. He's noticeably quicker than P-Rich as well. The quickness of Tate, with much superior work ethic/study habits, and faster outright speed. Let's hope his durability compares, because Tate was superman in that regard.

Latest posts