Hm...Interesting Article on Myles Adams

bsuhawk

Reaction score
It looks like the NT rotation will be Jarran Reed, Myles Adams, and Cameron Young, all under 310 lbs. Also, according to Adams, the NT will be lining up and looking to penetrate an A gap (basically playing one gap). This is a big change from last year when the NT covered the center and played 2 gap. Given that all of our DEs are under 300 lbs. (Dre'Mont Jones weighs 281) my guess is that both DEs will be playing 3-tech in the B gaps. It doesn't make sense to have 280 lb. DEs covering tackles trying to play 2 gap. If this is true then it's a significant (and welcomed) change from what I saw last year. It will be interesting to see if this is true during the preseason games.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...ms-expanded-role-defensive-line-training-camp

nanomoz

Reaction score
It makes makes sense. I'm trying to visualize it--do you think it probably puts even more pressure on the secondary to tackle on the weak side? I think they have a good group of dudes for that. Witherspoon, Brown, Jackson, Bryant, Diggs, and Love are all + in the physicality department. (I'm not counting on Jamal. That's a nasty injury.)

But if all your beef is playing inside of the guard's outside shoulder, we'll have at least one undersized person in-line at the edge, no?

I feel like Dre Jones needs to be moved around a bit between 3 and 5 to be best utilized. I think someone emerging as a true containment five-tech would help. Maybe that's Mike Morris.

At any rate, it seems to be a statement that they're focused on generating more interior pressure. Nothing makes everyone's job easier than interior pressure.

(Great article on Myles. FWIW, I thought he deserved more snaps last year.)

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
The best coaches don't fit players into a scheme. The best coaches fit a scheme into their players.

It is about time that the team defensively adjusts to maximizing the strength of their players.

The strength of this team now resides within the secondary and the edges. In a passing league, you can't ask for better emphasis. The problem is getting the defense off of the field because they couldn't stop the run game. As a literal coach on the field, Bobby Wagner can get the interior up to snuff, in real time, with respect to gap integrity. His task will be easier with assigned gap control.

Last edited:

seabowl

Reaction score
Two Quick things on this.:

I would not be surprised since they are going with smaller DL that they targeted Calijah Kancey in the draft with the second first round pick, but he was taken before their spot.

Also, I think not having a guy like Al Woods in the middle is a mistake. I believe you need at least one big guy in the middle to help stuff the run.

Scout

Reaction score
Two Quick things on this.:

I would not be surprised since they are going with smaller DL that they targeted Calijah Kancey in the draft with the second first round pick, but he was taken before their spot.

Also, I think not having a guy like Al Woods in the middle is a mistake. I believe you need at least one big guy in the middle to help stuff the run.

Good observation.

It has been said the Hawks will be playing more five down lineman this upcoming season and that is exactly what the Bucs do defensively. The Bucs have size upfront (Vea, Gholston) but now added speed in three consecutive drafts (JTS, Hall and Kancey). The reasoning I have read is that the Bucs wanted to not only become younger upfront but also add speed to combat the offenses that are trending in the league. The Eagles, Lions and Seahawks are all NFC elite offenses that force defenses to run sideline to sideline. And the Bucs even hired Canales to install a dynamic offense like the Seahawks run to integrate motion and scheme their playmakers open.

Vea was playing a lot of 3tech this past season due to injuries and did record a career high in sacks. But Vea wasn't able to play NT as much which hurt the Bucs run defense. Which is why the Bucs heavily pursued Vea's ex college teammate Greg Gaines and drafted Kancey. Gaines will be able to rotate all down the line like Gholston and Hall while Kancey will be used primarily at 3tech.

Whether a 34 or 43 one gap the NT has to hit their gap to take on two blockers which means the 3 tech should always have one blocker to beat in theory. That is where Dre'mont Jones comes in and where Reed will be tasked to use his agility to hit a gap quickly ensuring that Dre'mont Jones only has one blocker to beat. With Reed's agility along with Jones don't be surprised to see them running stunt games. And then Mario Edwards thrown into the mix as well in certain NASCAR packages on the inside while doing most of his work as a 5 tech.

I do agree that you need one NT with size on the roster though for rotation and also short yardage/goaline situations. But those type of players can not even be depended upon to play more than 70% of their snaps due to their size. So that is the trade off with a NT with size (eg Vea) as they will play around 60% of snaps versus a smaller NT that can play 70%+ snaps while be able to play 5 tech in a pinch with a high snap count.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Good observation.

It has been said the Hawks will be playing more five down lineman this upcoming season and that is exactly what the Bucs do defensively. The Bucs have size upfront (Vea, Gholston) but now added speed in three consecutive drafts (JTS, Hall and Kancey). The reasoning I have read is that the Bucs wanted to not only become younger upfront but also add speed to combat the offenses that are trending in the league. The Eagles, Lions and Seahawks are all NFC elite offenses that force defenses to run sideline to sideline. And the Bucs even hired Canales to install a dynamic offense like the Seahawks run to integrate motion and scheme their playmakers open.

Vea was playing a lot of 3tech this past season due to injuries and did record a career high in sacks. But Vea wasn't able to play NT as much which hurt the Bucs run defense. Which is why the Bucs heavily pursued Vea's ex college teammate Greg Gaines and drafted Kancey. Gaines will be able to rotate all down the line like Gholston and Hall while Kancey will be used primarily at 3tech.

Whether a 34 or 43 one gap the NT has to hit their gap to take on two blockers which means the 3 tech should always have one blocker to beat in theory. That is where Dre'mont Jones comes in and where Reed will be tasked to use his agility to hit a gap quickly ensuring that Dre'mont Jones only has one blocker to beat. With Reed's agility along with Jones don't be surprised to see them running stunt games. And then Mario Edwards thrown into the mix as well in certain NASCAR packages on the inside while doing most of his work as a 5 tech.

I do agree that you need one NT with size on the roster though for rotation and also short yardage/goaline situations. But those type of players can not even be depended upon to play more than 70% of their snaps due to their size. So that is the trade off with a NT with size (eg Vea) as they will play around 60% of snaps versus a smaller NT that can play 70%+ snaps while be able to play 5 tech in a pinch with a high snap count.
It makes a lot of sense to put your NT in the A gap on the same side as Dre'mont Jones. However, having your NT in an A gap does mean you'll need someone covering the other A gap (a linebacker I would guess). You'll also need someone in the C gap. I guess this would be either the other linebacker or a safety. If this is the plan for the DL I'm sure glad Wagner is back at linebacker.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Very well could be the case. Or they can have Reed hit the A gap between the center and RG and then Dremont Jones shoots the other A gap and only has to beat the left guard. Even then you need an ILB to cover the B gap. How they line up Reed may vary but Reed is capable of playing on top of a center or shaded depending on certain alignments.

And yeah having Wagz back is very important to make this work as it is an aggressive approach.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
It makes a lot of sense to put your NT in the A gap on the same side as Dre'mont Jones. However, having your NT in an A gap does mean you'll need someone covering the other A gap (a linebacker I would guess). You'll also need someone in the C gap. I guess this would be either the other linebacker or a safety. If this is the plan for the DL I'm sure glad Wagner is back at linebacker.
Although the focus may be on stopping the opposing ground game, the hidden benefit of this is that the defensive front is already moving a step closer toward the quarterback if the play does happen to be a pass.