GREAT game

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Wow, what a game. Shades of the Seahawks/Rams last year in Seattle, except prettier for both teams I think.

I feel MUCH better about the Rams than I did before this game - I've always said wins and losses are fluky, and it doesn't make sense to me that a fan would feel so much different if that kick was a few inches to the left (unless my team had a bad kicker that constantly was costing them games).

If Seattle was a bad team, I'd feel worse - but you really shouldn't beat a division rival on the road if they're a playoff caliber team, which Seattle clearly is.

My thoughts overall:

Russell Wilson is turning in a Drew Brees like season, which is amazing because I think Brees is the 3rd best QB in NFL history. If not for Mahomes he would be the only MVP candidate right now, but he has to be the front runner now.

Jared Goff was unstoppable after a shaky start - which is why I feel good despite the loss. Offensive line played a great game - which obviously is why Goff played well too. I was hoping they just needed time to gel.

I've been saying for two years that Cooper Kupp was our #1 WR, and it looks like he's arrived. I predicted somewhere around 1400 yards and 12 TDs for him, which seems like a safe bet if he stays healthy.

Run defense - actually not too bad if you take away the Wilson runs. I thought we played the run game well considering how badly Seattle gashed us last year, culminating with a stop that could have won the game (shout out to Schotty for whatever the hell that play call was on 3rd and 2).

Defenses overall for both teams - not good. Talib was the straw that stirred the drink last year - but looks washed now. Peters is actually pretty good (the Metcalf TD looked like it was probably on John Johnson). Rams are playing more zone than ever - I think it's because of the physical limitations of Talib and Weddle and Peters strength being a zone corner. With Aaron Donald though, I have to think the D will be at least average. Neither team is a true contender unless their defenses end up being better than they were last night.

Overall I still feel pretty confident in winning the NFC West - a loss at home to the Niners next week would destroy that though. I think that McVay figured something out last night as the Seahawks were employing some of that 6-1, and I have a feeling that the Rams are about to go on a long win streak.

Seattle's schedule gets tough, and I keep looking at their schedule hoping to see some losses, but they keep winning.

aawolf

Reaction score
I think your analysis was spot on.

I think the Rams played well enough to win, and I was VERY concerned that we were going to lose this game with 11 seconds left. I'll be honest that I turned the TV off and turned it back on to see that the field goal was missed.

I heard the sports shows throughout the week and today criticizing the Rams for not using Gurley and Goff being unreliable and those question marks were answered last night that the Rams are still explosive and Gurley is not done. I don't see how your offense could have played much better, as the interception was an OMG type play that was not Goff's fault at all. There is no reason for Rams fans to panic and the noise from haters does not match how well they did play.

Both defenses need tweeking. The Seahawks and the Rams need to get more of a pass rush if they want to be Super Bowl contenders. But, both offenses, outside of a few drives, played as good as you could expect.

In sum, these teams were as evenly matched as they could be and one or two inches were the difference in this game.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I agree, pretty fair analysis.

I thought both Goff and Gurley played relatively better than A) they've played thus far this season and B) I thought they'd be ready to play on a night game at Seattle on a Thursday. They showed up big. Goff just a few critical misses here and there, but when his feet are planted, he's got game. I love Kupp, of course; we all do up here.

Both defenses need work, although I think our DBs are playing at a higher level as a unit than they were in games 1 and 2. Bobby was a little out of position a few times tonight; we have some room to improve for sure. We didn't really get home w a lot of 5 guys rushing....that's more than a little concerning.

This is going to be a great division race.

OP
OP
R

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Also, can't say enough with how impressed I was with the officiating.

They missed what I thought was a blatant false start on the Rams (and on the play Goff hit Everett for 30 yards) as well as a missed delay of game on the Rams. Definitely disagreed with the roughing call on Matthews - BUT - officials make mistakes, as outlined above. What I loved is that they let both teams play for the most part, overturned the missed calls (shout out to New York I guess for that - but this game was pretty clean) and while it wasn't perfect, that's how an NFL game should be officiated. I would put that on tape and have officials watch it.

James in PA

Reaction score
What a roller coaster of a game from start to finish! When T2 made that ridiculous interception, I was so excited...... for about 2 seconds. Then I realized we still weren’t even at the 2 minute warning AND the Rams had 2 time outs. I knew it was going to be a struggle to get a first down and run out the clock. Sure enough, it was. I also knew if the Rams got the ball back with 1:40 left, they were going to get into FG range. Sure enough, they did. Thank goodness we caught a break with the miss. The Hawks really needed to get that Rams monkey off their backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Tip of the cap Ram Fan. Outstanding football game that could have went either way. A missed FG by both teams, a few head scratchers by both team etc. Rams are DAMN good.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Nice and fair summary from the OP. The result could have gone either way.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
WTH?? Ya, nice write up, yada, yada, yada.

Screw the Rams, this is the SEAHAWKS division. Jeez, bunch a wussies jizzing all over each other to be the nicest guy to the pretty Rams fan.

Go Hawks.

Sorry, I just had to get that outta me. :irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ok Rams fan, you rarely here my say this, but Go Rams this weekend. Yes, that was hard to say. But if there's anything I hate more than the Rams.....it's the incredibly overhyped 39ers.
I hope you guys kick them in the teeth. Of course, the Niners have the Redskins the next week, so the love fest will continue :roll:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2msj6z3l said:
Ok Rams fan, you rarely here my say this, but Go Rams this weekend. Yes, that was hard to say. But if there's anything I hate more than the Rams.....it's the incredibly overhyped 39ers.
I hope you guys kick them in the teeth. Of course, the Niners have the Redskins the next week, so the love fest will continue :roll:

Dontcha mean Thirtywhiners?