Greg Cosell on Defensive Linemen

ivotuk

Reaction score

Kayvon Thibodeaux​

Cosell: “Well, I think Thibodeaux has certain strong traits. I think that his game, he’s got a really quick get-off, he can explode off the ball with initial balance and body control, he’s got a sudden and powerful burst off the ball. He was at his best as a pass rusher when he was first off the ball, which is what you always like your pass rushers to be. I think he’s more of a power player than he is an athletic bender. He’s got powerful, heavy hands, he can rush speed-to-power, but as I mentioned a moment ago, he does not have the desired bend and flexibility. He’s got lower-body stiffness, so he can’t flatten his rush path when he clears the arc. When he clears the high side, the arc as they call it, he can’t flatten his rush path the way you want it to be so he doesn’t have that bend, burst and closing speed to the quarterback. That’s not his game. In some ways, and he weighs less, but he kind of reminded me of Jadeveon Clowney.”

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
So once he get's around the guard, it takes him a while to get to the QB? I'm no expert, just wanting to understand?
My take is he's saying that he unable to elude the Tackle because he's unable to get low and flat at the arc... meaning the Tackle is able to steer him wide of the QB.