Griffin brothers

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Shaquem is a tremendous edge rusher that we stupidly play at linebacker in a league that covets great edge rushers.

It isn't his fault our coaching staff cannot get over their own predilections and use a guy that is good instead of using barely effective vets. (see the use of Poona Ford as an example).

Should Shaquem be on the field as a DE? God no.

But on passing downs? Absolutely.

What we did was take a guy that wasn't that great away from the LOS, but burst on the scene the moment his team started using him near the LOS - and move him off the LOS. Unsurprisingly, he didn't do much.

Sure Pete knows defense. So if he wants to use him somewhere else?

But Pete also gets caught up in looking at things as how he would like to see him vs how they are. He certainly has his penchant for shoving square pegs in round holes or vice versa.

Shaquem could be a much crappier but still very effective Dwight Freeney for us on passing downs. But he is out there in space for unknown reasons.

sc85sis

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2rky9n9x said:
Shaquem is a tremendous edge rusher that we stupidly play at linebacker in a league that covets great edge rushers.

It isn't his fault our coaching staff cannot get over their own predilections and use a guy that is good instead of using barely effective vets. (see the use of Poona Ford as an example).

What we did was take a guy that wasn't that great away from the LOS, but burst on the scene the moment his team started using him near the LOS - and move him off the LOS. Unsurprisingly, he didn't do much.

But Pete also gets caught up in looking at things as how he would like to see him vs how they are. He certainly has his penchant for shoving square pegs in round holes or vice versa.

Shaquem could be a much crappier but still very effective Dwight Freeney for us on passing downs. But he is out there in space for unknown reasons.

And Pete already said they were going to see how Shaqueem does this year playing more on the edge.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":2iuynqww said:
IMHO I absolutely hate when people judge from a distance . We are all football fans. Talk good or bad about what’s going on between the lines . Foolish to sit here and say they shouldn’t be writing books or shouldn’t be doing commercials . You have no idea what goes on in their daily life .

But I am judging them on what goes on between the lines and so far they have been mediocre at best. I don't think its unreasonable to question whether the non football related antics are causing the on pitch issues. If it's not all the non football related stuff that is causing the mediocre play then the reality is they just aren't good enough currently. I think we are in danger of not knowing since they are clearly coveting the media.

knownone

Reaction score
I’ve been tired of it since last off-season. I’m happy for the kids, but the whole situation reminds me a little bit of Aaron Curry’s situation. For those who may not remember, Aaron Curry’s primary goal was to make the NFL and get paid, once he reached that goal it was hard for him to stay motivated.

For a guy whose only major knock coming out was his hand, he looked woefully unprepared last year. I hope I’m wrong, but it seems like Quem’s just happy to be in the NFL.

toffee

Reaction score
Shaquille's rookie year was better than his 2nd year, partly because moving to the left side, but one can also speculate that media circus was distracting. Think about it, his first year Sherm manning the left, opposing teams picked on him but he did alright. Last year he regressed into one of the worst in the league.

Hoping he will bounce back, otherwise this team won't go far with weak spots in the backfield.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":212iqdb8 said:
Seahwkgal":212iqdb8 said:
Largent80":212iqdb8 said:
Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.
This. I would be real surprised if he makes the roster.

If we can keep CJ Prosise's under performing ass on the roster for the entire length of his rookie deal, we can sure as hell keep Shaquem.

At least Shaquem is a good special teams player and has the potential to be more. Bottom line, he contributes, so I'd be shocked if he was cut this year.

Now if he has another flat year where he fails to pick up the defense and doesn't contribute beyond special teams? Then it's trouble for him. But right now in year two of his rookie deal? He's cheap and contributes on special teams, so I don't see him going anywhere for a while.

Not sure what you're talking about???
"His ass" blows some awesome bubbles in his daily tub therapy.
:lol: :lol: :irishdrinkers:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
This is a make or break year Shaquille imo. I honestly think he is minimally better than Jeremy Lane. I think Shaquiem could be a week 4 cut depending on how things shape up.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Quite a bit of negativity here about the Griffins. Not sure I understand why 'Queem was a 5th rd. pick 'Quill a 3rd. Both players have exceptional speed and that counts.

Quill will have a good year now he is healthy and used to the switch. Queem is fast and was ill used last season and advanced to also playing a completely new position. He played creditably well on ST and knows nothing is given and that he needs to compete for a job. some patience will be exhibited by the team but nothing will be completely new and we should see the speed through the preseason.

I don't think either is hard on the roster bubble.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2yx67x7h said:
He's had one year with limited play. It's also pretty hard to say he is a good ST player with that limited exp.

He was 4th or 5th on the team in special teams tackles last year, that's good.

Gibbo

Reaction score
Mediocre at best?

Quem was in his rookie year last year. He did pretty well on ST. He was forced to play in Denver and he was out his depth but it was his first game. The fact it’s him means everything has been magnified, any other rookie would have passed by without much thought. Give him a break.

They are good people; they aren’t going out their way launching clothing lines or doing club appearances, they give back and naturally attract headlines. I don’t see them purposely seeing out publicity for the sale of it.

Elemas

Reaction score
I don't think you want to play musical corners but, I'd love to see Tre switch spots with Shaq. Shaq had better support in his rookie season but, that may be the best spot for him productivity wise. I think the secondary may be the weakest link but there's so much potential.

Shaqueem.
.feel good story or not, looked like was playing ...flat..back to back burns. If his FB IQ is anywhere his skill set, it's time for him to be a force.

Hope they both succeed 7

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I'm okay with this media stuff as long as they are putting in time to learn the defence and perfect their craft. Wilson does this stuff but he also is the hardest worker on the team. First one in the building, last one to leave. Hustles on every rep and drill in practice. If you want to be a media darling, you better do everything right in your job or the rest of the team will develop negativity towards you "not earning the accolades".

As long as they realize that, then its all good. But if they are taking in the attention and ignoring the work needed to rightfully earn this attention, I think they will struggle both inside the locker room and on the field.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If Shaquem carves out a role on D, it'll be getting pressure. That's the best area of his game. He could, theoretically, turn into a good linebacker but I'm not really expecting that.

At the very least, he's a good special teamer.

As for Quill, he should take a leap in his second year on the left. If not, well... that sucks. But I think he'll be much improved.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sc85sis":3lu63czr said:
TwistedHusky":3lu63czr said:

And Pete already said they were going to see how Shaqueem does this year playing more on the edge.

I was just going to bring this up. Pete's been talking Shaquem up quite a bit in his new pass-rusher role, a role which fits his college accomplishments considerably.

Largent80

Reaction score
As we have seen for a decade, Pete talks every player up. Not taking anything away from Queem and wanting him to succeed but, hopefully they figure out his role to help both the player and the team.

toffee

Reaction score
We may have a real problem if he couldn’t cut it at LCB, it wouldn’t be ideal to move flowers from right to left and we don’t have anyone with that experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":10f08tz1 said:
We may have a real problem if he couldn’t cut it at LCB, it wouldn’t be ideal to move flowers from right to left and we don’t have anyone with that experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess some have not read previous threads on this, like 4 or 5 this off season alone, there are differences between sides and very very few make that adjustment on the fly without some level of issues. We really were looking at two Rookies at CB last year with the flop and Tre learning a new position as well as being his first season. Team knew this and attacked both frequently. Throw in new FS and SS and you had to deal with hand off and recognition issues that needed to be communicated that weren't always.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2nzih7bi said:
I suspect I'm in a minority but I'm getting pretty annoyed by the extensive non football related publicity and hype they seem to be surrounding themselves with. I wondered if anyone else shares my concern.

IMHO if they arent careful they stand to lose their NFL careers by concentrating on the journey rather than the destination.. Shaquille was borderline abysmal last year and Shaquem is a feel good ST player with no real role. I'm not sure how much of this is about ability or distraction currently.

As it stands their new book "Inseparable" will have the most ironic title if one or both get cut.

Edit: I do get that their story is a good one and needs to be told, I just want their play to define them and not the media circus.
Question... Do you have a life outside your job? I'm betting you do. They do too.

How they handle their opportunities is on them. If not them, then, as always, next man up.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2ullyhn1 said:
UK_Seahawk":2ullyhn1 said:
I suspect I'm in a minority but I'm getting pretty annoyed by the extensive non football related publicity and hype they seem to be surrounding themselves with. I wondered if anyone else shares my concern.

IMHO if they arent careful they stand to lose their NFL careers by concentrating on the journey rather than the destination.. Shaquille was borderline abysmal last year and Shaquem is a feel good ST player with no real role. I'm not sure how much of this is about ability or distraction currently.

As it stands their new book "Inseparable" will have the most ironic title if one or both get cut.

Edit: I do get that their story is a good one and needs to be told, I just want their play to define them and not the media circus.
Question... Do you have a life outside your job? I'm betting you do. They do too.

How they handle their opportunities is on them. If not them, then, as always, next man up.
I do but if I allow my life outside my job to negatively impact said employment then I will be in trouble.