Happy Memorial Day

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You know what? I am sorry for opening up a can of worms here. That was not my intent. I guess I was naive to think this thread could remain a positive source of appreciation for our fallen heroes.

I am sorry to have chosen the word "Happy" which I get, is an ironic term to use when given the nature of the holiday.

My heart goes out to every one of you that has experienced the horror, the suffering, the pain of war. Those of us who never served will never know that suffering. That includes the family and friends of those who did.

But let me be clear. Just because I didn't serve, and chose to honor our heroes the only way I know how, whether that be a yellow ribbon, flag or thread in a football forum, doesn't mean it's not heart felt and certainly isn't overly patriotic nonsense.

We live in a world that is a far cry from the Vietnam war when soldiers were spit on after returning. The paradigm has shifted to a place where the majority of humanity has embraced and honors the sacrifice each and every soldier has made since then. I sure hope that isn't what you mean by overly patriotic nonsense.

Sac

Reaction score
No, that's not what I meant, and no apology necessary from you. I'd had a few drinks and was being sentimental. That's my fault.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Todd started the thread to not only honor our fallen brothers and sisters, but to honor Les.

Let's keep that in mind folks.

US Army, '60-63.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Sac":39k00coi said:
No, that's not what I meant, and no apology necessary from you. I'd had a few drinks and was being sentimental. That's my fault.

Nice going Sac.

I spent my Memorial Weekend with my old boss who flew in from Germany just for Rocklahoma. We drank a lot of beer and watched a bands play music all weekend.

One of the great things I've enjoyed since my retirement is still seeing friends I've served with and we talk as if no time has passed since the last time we met.

Gametime

Reaction score
Aros":1cvxs2k5 said:
You know what? I am sorry for opening up a can of worms here. That was not my intent. I guess I was naive to think this thread could remain a positive source of appreciation for our fallen heroes.

I am sorry to have chosen the word "Happy" which I get, is an ironic term to use when given the nature of the holiday.

My heart goes out to every one of you that has experienced the horror, the suffering, the pain of war. Those of us who never served will never know that suffering. That includes the family and friends of those who did.

But let me be clear. Just because I didn't serve, and chose to honor our heroes the only way I know how, whether that be a yellow ribbon, flag or thread in a football forum, doesn't mean it's not heart felt and certainly isn't overly patriotic nonsense.

We live in a world that is a far cry from the Vietnam war when soldiers were spit on after returning. The paradigm has shifted to a place where the majority of humanity has embraced and honors the sacrifice each and every soldier has made since then. I sure hope that isn't what you mean by overly patriotic nonsense.

Aros,

Not my intent either. I am always humbled by a post like this and thank you for honoring Vets and for honoring Les. If anything I said seemed to the contrary it was certainly not intentional. Thanks so much for the post!