Harvin

Rob12

Reaction score
SonicHawk":29dmoocl said:
RolandDeschain":29dmoocl said:
SonicHawk":29dmoocl said:
Cool. Can we also agree that our O-line's pass protection has been bottom quarter of the NFL overall (for pass pro specifically) since we drafted Hustle Wilson?

Hustle. Heh.

Our o-line is at worst 20th. There are some very bad ones and we won a SB.

Ranked 28th out of 32 currently in pass pro.

byau

Reaction score
The more you think about it, the more it really is just getting too cutesy with playcalling

The two previous games even, Harvin wasn't just running sweeps and screens

Redskins: went deep for a TD (got called back)

Denver: OT, motion, reverse motion and shallow cross

I'm sure there are many more examples to be found if I rewatch the games this season

For whatever reason, offense got away from their game plan. Who knows why.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
We are wasting our money with him. This is just tremendously disappointing to get such little return for the cap money tied up.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":362t4l1w said:
We are wasting our money with him. This is just tremendously disappointing to get such little return for the cap money tied up.
This is true.............so far. I sincerely hope that changes as this year and the seasons to come unfold.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":ij20bzmt said:
Yep...And in 2014, that is through NO fault of his own.

Largent80

Reaction score
Did you guys forget the super bowl?

His entire lifetime Seahawk money received was earned in that one game....Jeezus dudes.

byau

Reaction score
Largent80":1qw43co1 said:
Did you guys forget the super bowl?

His entire lifetime Seahawk money received was earned in that one game....Jeezus dudes.

Yeah, saying we are wasting our money with him... I don't agree with that statement

I would say currently the offensive playcalling is wasting his talent.

Season is still young

Again, this is a good loss, because it's a wake-up call. If we had squeaked out a win, we wouldn't have this doom and gloom wake up call

HawkWow

Reaction score
With all respect, OP, if this is how you feel "Harvin should be utilized", then you must be ecstatic, because that's exactly how he is being utilized today. And in his last year with the Vikes, the year some were touting him for MVP, his average catch was made exactly 1 yard from the LOS.

A couple things not being considered here; Minnesota had a solid O line and they also had a healthy, dangerous Sidney Rice on that 09 team. The following year they had a guy named Randy Moss. Give this team a deep threat and protection for our QB, and Harvin will again be playing pro-bowl ball.

And while Wilson isn't Brett Favre, how many want him to be? Pete sure as hell don't. I watched every minute of Favre's career. Loved the guy. But you took the bad with the good and accepted Favre as a gunslinger. Not once, from USC to Seattle, has Pete fielded a QB that had a propensity for turning the ball over. Favre would give Pete a heart attack.

Do I want to see Wilson be a bit more reckless? Oh hell, yes. Reckless is fun but I ain't Pete and Pete is more conservative than Barbara Bush. So seriously, the next time you long for RW to "just throw it up", do understand his boss is warning him against doing so. Now, if we had the 2009 version of Rice, or the 2010 version of Moss, Pete may just let his hair down a bit. But we don't and love his mantra or hate it, Pete (as pissed off as I am with him atm) won us a SB and one of the glaring reasons for that season was us being way up on the plus side of the TO ledger.

This just may not be the year we repeat, Hawk fans, but I am 100% confident we will soon again win a SB and I will add here that I was very wrong about Kelvin Benjamin. Had we drafted Benjamin, we'd be getting a lot more out of Percy Harvin (and Russell Wilson). Things will get better with a ready Richardson and Norwood, but it looks like Benjamin was the guy. : /

Hendo66

Reaction score
The rate the refs are throwing flags on db's this season why not run Percy and the rest on more deep routes? Can only help this O and at least extend some of these drives with penalties.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
HawkWow":1lj7ht07 said:
With all respect, OP, if this is how you feel "Harvin should be utilized", then you must be ecstatic, because that's exactly how he is being utilized today. And in his last year with the Vikes, the year some were touting him for MVP, his average catch was made exactly 1 yard from the LOS.

A couple things not being considered here; Minnesota had a solid O line and they also had a healthy, dangerous Sidney Rice on that 09 team. The following year they had a guy named Randy Moss. Give this team a deep threat and protection for our QB, and Harvin will again be playing pro-bowl ball.

And while Wilson isn't Brett Favre, how many want him to be? Pete sure as hell don't. I watched every minute of Favre's career. Loved the guy. But you took the bad with the good and accepted Favre as a gunslinger. Not once, from USC to Seattle, has Pete fielded a QB that had a propensity for turning the ball over. Favre would give Pete a heart attack.

Do I want to see Wilson be a bit more reckless? Oh hell, yes. Reckless is fun but I ain't Pete and Pete is more conservative than Barbara Bush. So seriously, the next time you long for RW to "just throw it up", do understand his boss is warning him against doing so. Now, if we had the 2009 version of Rice, or the 2010 version of Moss, Pete may just let his hair down a bit. But we don't and love his mantra or hate it, Pete (as pissed off as I am with him atm) won us a SB and one of the glaring reasons for that season was us being way up on the plus side of the TO ledger.

This just may not be the year we repeat, Hawk fans, but I am 100% confident we will soon again win a SB and I will add here that I was very wrong about Kelvin Benjamin. Had we drafted Benjamin, we'd be getting a lot more out of Percy Harvin (and Russell Wilson). Things will get better with a ready Richardson and Norwood, but it looks like Benjamin was the guy. : /
I keep pointing out to people that Harvin has NEVER been used as a traditional WR more than a couple plays per game. He has ALWAYS been a LOS player.

In minnesota he always got the ball near the LOS and here in seattle it is the same.

For some reason people still want to pretend that Minny used him as a WR and he was successful. WRONG. They used him as a gimmick player very much like Seattle.

I had not read that his last year in minny he averaged 1 yard off the LOS, the only article I read (a year ago) said his Viking career average was 2.5ish.

My fellow seahawk fans need to understand that expecting Harvin to catch deep passes is about as unrealistic as expecting your punter to tackle the returner in open space. It happens, but I wouldn't count on it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3hws2j48 said:
HawkWow":3hws2j48 said:

I keep pointing out to people that Harvin has NEVER been used as a traditional WR more than a couple plays per game. He has ALWAYS been a LOS player.

In minnesota he always got the ball near the LOS and here in seattle it is the same.

For some reason people still want to pretend that Minny used him as a WR and he was successful. WRONG. They used him as a gimmick player very much like Seattle.

I had not read that his last year in minny he averaged 1 yard off the LOS, the only article I read (a year ago) said his Viking career average was 2.5ish.

My fellow seahawk fans need to understand that expecting Harvin to catch deep passes is about as unrealistic as expecting your punter to tackle the returner in open space. It happens, but I wouldn't count on it.

You're telling people accurately, bro. If I am mistaken about the 1 yard catch, and I could be, it would be because of bad information on (I believe) ESPN. The stat was remarkable to me, and why I made note. Basically it was a Ponder 1 yd pass to Harvin, then Harvin turning it up for a gain of 10 - 11. For all I know "1 yd pass" may even be less than that. Unsure how lateral or backward passes show up in stats (?).

This has always been Harvin's game and it's a good one when the right pieces surround him. He's too slight to be an RB in a traditional set, so he's been made an RB that takes long hand offs, hopefully out of harms way and getting him into space. But you already know this. ; )

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawkWow, the problem with an average for something like that is it tells you nothing, really.

For instance, theoretical receiver X has a one-yard average reception depth.

33% of his receptions are 20 yards down the field.
66% of his receptions are nine yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Boom, approximately a one-yard average reception depth. Just an example, but you get what I mean, I'm sure; it's a good example of how a stat can be pretty misleading. Now, if we could see the percentage of receptions he had that were one yard past the LoS or further back, (nothing more than one yard, including all negative-yardage catches) that'd be far more informative.

Looks like PFF will oblige us to an extent. I can't just post a bunch of paid content, so I'll just post it for one year. Pick whatever year you want, so I'm not accused of cherry picking stats. Favre's good year? (2009, which is Percy's rookie year.) The last full season played by Percy in Minnesota? (2011.) The 8.5 games he played before we injured him in 2012? (Ponder for both those seasons.)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lol, I just checked and this last game was the first time in Percy Harvin's career where he finished negative yardage overall for the day.

SMH.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":3heyi2d7 said:
Getting those types plays out of Harvin is not going to happen if the QB refuses to throw the damn ball. RW is the Anti-Farve!
Well said Mr. anti-Wilson! :roll:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":f3cdjczc said:
Lol, I just checked and this last game was the first time in Percy Harvin's career where he finished negative yardage overall for the day.

SMH.
Here's an idea...how about throwing him a 2 yard slant beyond the LOS? I accept the fact I know nothing about football but I'm not an OC getting paid to be a knucklehead in the NFL while on national television.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":o3q3za9g said:
HawkWow":o3q3za9g said:

So let me get this straight, you're advocating for bevel to keep doing the same stupid shit, time and again?, because that's exactly what you do if you're intent on trying to pound a square frikkin peg into a round hole.
I was under the impression that Harvin had pretty good hands, and could catch the ball, I had no idea that he had hands of stone.
No wonder Harvin was held to a minus for the first time in his career by the Cowboys, all the guesswork was omitted by Bevel.
Bevel's lack of imagination on how to get Harvin's blazing speed in the game plan, is pretty disappointing....Gotta be his stone hands eh?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":jig0oilr said:
Things will get better with a ready Richardson and Norwood, but it looks like Benjamin was the guy. : /

I was wrong about Benjamin as well, but lets be real.. he wouldn't be playing here either.

Carolina had literally no one else.. they threw him into the fire and it has paid off. He'd be getting the same treatment Richardson and Norwood are now.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3ea7e7lv said:

That OC Harvin had in Minnesota sounds a lot like the one we have now...

Oh wait.