Has Your Preseason Prediction Changed?

• Yes. Better than I thought.

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • No. Same as I thought.

Votes: 27 51.9%

• Total voters

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I seem to remember quite a few predicting 4 or 5 wins.

They don't seem to be showing up to this thread yet :lol:

johnnyfever

Reaction score
10-6 then, 10-6 now. I didnt think we would start out looking as bad as we did though. also, rams a lil better than I thought, 49ers a lot worse.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hawkpower":jwoj1819 said:
I seem to remember quite a few predicting 4 or 5 wins.

They don't seem to be showing up to this thread yet :lol:

Which is laughable given we have Russell Wilson. Last year he guided us to 9-7 with no run game and no pass blocking. So that's probably always going to be the low point for a Wilson team.

I personally was all in for 9-7 if nothing improved on offence which i was admittedly worried about. But I started to believe after the Dallas game. And now I think 9-7 is probably too low. But the season is still young and crap can happen.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
I think I had us at 7-9, 8-8 range. I’m shocked pete has the kids playing so well. Kudos. The last 9 games will tell the tale

SeaChat

Reaction score
NO! I have maintained since before the draft and training camps, that the Seahawks were not in the highly touted “rebuilding mode”, and that Pete and John were on the job, looking to take out the trash, bring in some fresh meat and get us back where we were when we were dominating our division.

I’m the one who maintained that “The Legion of Boom”, was not a cast of characters, but rather Pete Carroll’s brain child, and teachable philosophy, if given a pool of skilled and talented players to carry out his “game plan”, welcome back the LOB part duo.
I am also the one who maintained that our offense had steadily developed throughout last season, and with the intro of Chris and Mike, our running game was back. The hiring and firing of the coaches, was a necessary move on Pete and John’s part.
I didn’t hear much blowback when Tom Cable got his walking papers.

That was a no brainer, although he does deserve some credit for sticking by his picks, that in the hands of new coaches, and partnered with some seasoned veteran talents, have really synced with each other. I’d go so far as to say that “Beast Mode” has been reborn in the Emerald City as well.
Our passing game has never looked so good.

I know there was all kinds of shock and protests when Sherm, Bennet, Graham, Richardson’s, and a few other notables got their pink slips. Sherm admitted himself that he was playing as a shadow of himself, you know the Seahawks medical staff had a pretty good idea about what his prognosis was after surgery, Bennett was playing with one injury after another last season, Sheldon Richardson kept laying on the ground after about every 5 or 6 plays grabbing his knee, and having to leave the field for a few plays.

Paul Richardson had great hands, but it look to me like he either wasn’t in the playbook as much as he needed to be, or he suffered from short attention span theater, because on way to many plays when Russell went to him with a pass, Richardson was running some other route than Russell was. I know Russell studies his game more than any other player on the team, and he wasn’t off course going to his other receivers.

Jimmy Graham never did fit in Seattle, he’s a WR, not a TE, he can catch, but he can’t block, at least not well enough to fit into the Seahawks offensive strategy. Will Dizzley, Ed Dickson, Nic Vanett, all 3 are better TE’s than Jimmy, and all 3 can block in a manner that benefits our offense.

The draft this year and the rebirth of Pete Carroll’s mantra about competing for your position was back in full swing this year, on a level that it hadn’t been since 2012-2015. It couldn’t work, the Seahawks had all these high dollar contracts that they bound themselves to, with aging players that were moving past their prime, but because we’d paid them so much we almost had to play them to justify all the cap space they were eating up.

Young guns, wanting to believe in Pete’s compete, rapidly saw it was BS and quit competing, because they knew it was just that, BS. That if anything was where Pete struggled in the transition from college ball to the pros. In College ball the players are in and out in four years most of the time. You might have a small hand fall that stick around for Masters and Doctorits, but in the pro’s Pete found himself if foreign lands.

He was trying to be sentimentally loyal to his players that helped him make it to a couple of super bowl bids, even when he knew they were at or near past their primes, or damaged goods. Keeping them in the mix sounded the alarms to the young bloods, that unless one of these old players fell down, that they were not going to find much play time for themselves.

Thank God we finally quit going cheap on our kickers. If I didn’t get the importance of these positions before 2017, I sure as hell have no more doubts about it now. Pay those feet, they are potentially the most important feet on the team. Think about how many games we lost last year at the feet on ole wild foot Willy, who couldn’t make it thru the uprights when we needed it, and nailed it everytime it didn’t mean diddly squat. I include Seabass and Dicksen in my nightly prayer thank you list with out fail.

We could have easily won our division and home field advantage in the playoffs if it wasn’t for all the missed field goals and missed extra points. It wasn’t funny, I got to the point last yesr, that when we really needed Walsh to come thru for us, that I’d get up and walk in the other room or go out in the other room until it was over, because I couldn’t stomach watching him let us down. I think this is what that word “ad nausium” evolved to define the emotional state people are left in when they watched Walsh blow it again, and again, and again.........

Drafting Shaquem Griffin, was maybe the best move that the Seahawks franchise ever made. Not only because, as has been his lifelong history, he will eventually fully acclimate to playing at the very top of his position assignment, and winning over his wteammates, coaches and fans in his climb to the top of his position.

What Shaqueam brings to the Emerald City, is a loud and clear message to the world , that resonates with millions and millions of new fans joining the 12 this year, in numbers that no NFL team in history has ever enjoyed. The Seattle Seahawks have the largest fan base of any team in NFL history, and that number increases daily. That kid is lightening in a bottle, the hope, drive, determination, and outright excitement and confidence he brings with him everywhere he goes is infectious. His belief in himself is undeniable, I said the day that the Seahawks drafted him that a miracle was going to unfold In the Emerald City this year, and it is. Keep your eyes open it’s only just begun.

Where I was going with that is that the 3rd leg of the team, our special teams is the best I can ever recall, and every passing game they just keep getting better. I took a lot of flak at the start of this season when I said I thought we would not only make it to the playoffs this, but that we would win our division, but would make our 4th Super Bowl appearance. I haven’t waveredfrom that, “ I Still Believe”, and if you think I’m an optimistic, never say never, Homer, your absolutely correct.
It’s an infectious mindset that spreads itself like wildfire throughout the team and the twelve, and eventually even the rest of the NFL starts to fear that crazy magic of the Seattle Seahawks and realize, that we are on a mission and it’s a mission that no one or no thing can stop.

Go Seahawks ! We All We Got - We All We Need!

nutluck

Reaction score
I never posted one, as I was still in lurk mod then. With that said though I did think they would end up 9-7 at worse and 10-6 at best which is where I still think they will end up.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
The team is far better than I thought. However the rough start losing to 2 teams I thought they would beat puts them probably about the same record as what I thought. 9-7.

If they do better than that, then thwy are truly a Superbowl contender, as it would mean they beat one or more of the Rams, Chargers, and Chiefs.

xray

Reaction score
I was at 8-8 at best now 10-6 is possible.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
2 massive changes in the landscape:

1 - Aaron Rodgers getting injured. This killed a lot of the Packers' fire. Even though technically still in it, that loss to the Rams was big for them. They might be ready to fold up their tents by the time we play them. That Packer game might be winnable and it did not look close to winnable at the start of the season. But that team looks like it is starting to implode.

2 - SF losing their QB. They went from a team that likely should have been 8-8 to a team that is near the basement. That gives us 2 wins, especially considering the Cards are so bad they are an assured 2 wins as well.

Bottom line, we got 4 easy wins built into the schedule.

Our team:

Losing our secondary and bringing in Norton, who really struggled in LA, should have really weakened the defense. And in the preseason and first few games, we were a sieve. But we really turned it around. I was absolutely wrong about this being a porous defense. Having a run game is keeping them rested, and we are getting decent pressure on the QB with a line missing a lot of our best performers.

However, our offense is much worse than I expected even with the better run game. So the better defense and worse offense predictions probably are a wash overall. I was thinking 7-9 to 8-8 best case but it looks like 9-7 might be in the cards. (Again, we need to see how we play against the Chargers.)

The one thing I am happy about is that the games are more watchable. Some of these losses are preferable to some of the 'wins' we had in previous years. I would rather lose by a FG in a good game than watch 4 games of godawful football where in each we score on 3 FGs in the football equivalent of a pitcher's duel. And I love defense, but not when our own offense is just squatting on the ball for 3 quarters for no reason.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
About what I expected but playing better on defense than I thought they would considering all the personnel changes. Pete’s teams almost always use the first couple of regular season games as an extension of the preseason to tweak the team into shape. They do seem to be rounding into something a bit quicker than I expected. I figured 9-7 10-6 somewhere along those lines.

Fade

Reaction score
10-6 prediction in the pre-season. Found in the NFC west thread in the NFL forum.

Shifted to 6-10 after the first 2 games.

Went back on the 10-6 wagon after the London game.

They just need to add some pass rushers and they are Super Bowl contenders again.

They could get lucky this year and make a run as the NFC is kind of all muddled together in the middle and the top. The Saints & Rams are the only great teams in the NFC, and I am using great very loosely.

doso

Reaction score
10-6 to start. Feel like we can beat ANY team on any given day now.. so I’d say 10-6 would be the least. 8)

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Pre-season I was hopeful for 9 wins but could definitely see a drop to 6 or 7. Now it's looking like 9-10 wins. Schedule still has some really tough matchups ahead. I like our chances vs. SD but that butthole rivers always seems to light us up so wouldn't be shocked if we're back to .500 then. At that point we're staring down going from 4-3 to 4-5 and we're all pouring our drinks a little stiffer.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":34pz4uos said:
Pre-season I was hopeful for 9 wins but could definitely see a drop to 6 or 7. Now it's looking like 9-10 wins. Schedule still has some really tough matchups ahead. I like our chances vs. SD but that butthole rivers always seems to light us up so wouldn't be shocked if we're back to .500 then. At that point we're staring down going from 4-3 to 4-5 and we're all pouring our drinks a little stiffer.

I think that our pass rush has stepped up to the point where he will not have adequate time to "pick and choose".

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
This poll might be premature. As it stands, the Hawks just finished playing through an easier part of their schedule. The next group of games will prove harder. These games are the ones you will see whether they are up or down to your expectations. I personally can still see 10 or 11 wins. But I can also still see a chance of 9 or 10 losses, albeit slim. I don't like to put to much into they should or shouldn't. I just like it when they win.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1hfsm9bt said:
However, our offense is much worse than I expected even with the better run game. So the better defense and worse offense predictions probably are a wash overall. I was thinking 7-9 to 8-8 best case but it looks like 9-7 might be in the cards. (Again, we need to see how we play against the Chargers.)

The offense the last two games is the best I've seen it since late 2015. What were your expectations?

I mean really? We were breaking in a new OC with a new OL coach and our millionth different OL combination in the last 5 years. We had lost Richardson and Graham in the offseason. Didn't know if Carson would come back well after his injury and thought we might be depending on a rookie at RB. And we all still thought Ifedi was a dumpster fire at RT and likely to get Wilson murdered. Were you expecting some miraculous transition merely by the subtraction of Cable and Bevell?

If this offense can play this balanced the rest of the season it will be an amazing outcome given the turnover and changes.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Dog,

That was 2 games.

The Rams have shown you can run on them. This was clear last year. And I don't think it has changed a bit. So gashing the Rams, who have no LBs to speak of, isn't some amazing thing. Look at their defense this year and tell me other people aren't putting up points and yards on that D.

Same with the Lions. Who literally were so bad against the run they engineered a trade to try to stem the bleeding.

We wanted to run first. We got 2 teams that are weak against the run and we did well offensively against them. Before that, our offense was pretty miserable. So was it that everything suddenly clicked and now the offense is 'fixed'? Or was it that we played 2 teams weak against the run that opened up that and the PA pass we do so well with?

Also, 'being the best this offense has been since 2015' isn't some great accomplishment. This team has literally been breaking historic records for offensive ineptitude for the past 2 years. It was not just bad, it was bad enough to get the OC fired. Being better than literally one of the worse offensive stretches in the history of the NFL, while an improvement, does not mean it is great.

So is our offense now very good? Or even a strength?

I don't know that answer. But we need to play a few more games to see if this was just us being Rock to someone's Scissors vs. us suddenly finding our offensive groove. The Chargers will be a good test here. Over the full year it hasn't been...but we did have to adjust to a new OC. The last 2 games have been better but we don't know if that is more us or more them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":fnk2f3lg said:
However, our offense is much worse than I expected even with the better run game. So the better defense and worse offense predictions probably are a wash overall. I was thinking 7-9 to 8-8 best case but it looks like 9-7 might be in the cards. (Again, we need to see how we play against the Chargers.).

We're #1 in Red Zone TD's/efficiency, top 10 in rushing and our O-line is at the top of the league according to PFF, and we're +10 in turnover margin.

These are some of the most important stats there are in the league.........who cares about crap that doesn't matter like total yards, passing yards for Russell or any of the other offensive stats that have no direct correlation to winning.

Most importantly, the stats we're #1 or high up the list on IS what we are trying to be as an offense, our identity.

Fade

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1dzh2jav said:
TwistedHusky":1dzh2jav said:

The offense the last two games is the best I've seen it since late 2015. What were your expectations?

I mean really? We were breaking in a new OC with a new OL coach and our millionth different OL combination in the last 5 years. We had lost Richardson and Graham in the offseason. Didn't know if Carson would come back well after his injury and thought we might be depending on a rookie at RB. And we all still thought Ifedi was a dumpster fire at RT and likely to get Wilson murdered. Were you expecting some miraculous transition merely by the subtraction of Cable and Bevell?

If this offense can play this balanced the rest of the season it will be an amazing outcome given the turnover and changes.

Russell Wilson has had three straight games of 3 TDs 0 INTS and a 125+ passer rating. He hasn't done that since 2015. The offense is doing great.

That is why I was so bummed when they came out and laid eggs the first 2 games because I knew they were far more capable. Now that they have shifted gears it has now started trending towards 2015 type stuff which is something I never thought I would see again. 2015 was a ridiculous stretch of efficiency and production from the QB. It is happening again.

Latest posts