Hass - Ring of Honor

Mix

Reaction score
This. I LOVED Matt, but no matter where he sits on the charts, he's behind Dave Krieg by a few steps.
That's usually because Hasselbeck isn't chasing down his latest fumble.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I consider Hasselbeck the Seahawks' third-best (in the sense of total value generated on the field as a Seahawk) QB ever, but I agree that Hasselbeck's 2005 was the best season a Seahawks QB has ever had. I put Wilson and Krieg ahead of Hasselbeck in terms of what they did on the field overall in their time with the Seahawks, but I get that there are decent arguments for switching second and third place.

2005 was a crazy year. Hasselbeck's season was better than any single Krieg or Wilson season when comparing to the rest of the league at the time, but as great as it was, it was probably about third-best in the NFL that year. Manning's 2005 was clearly better than Hasselbeck's, and I think Palmer's was slightly better. Rapelisberger was probably about as efficient as Hasselbeck, but played a quarter of a season less. Brady was not even all that close to being as good as Hasselbeck that year, but that was when Brady was in his 20s and was a good-but-not-great QB and known as a "game manager." It wasn't until two seasons later that Brady started having Peyton Manning-level seasons.
In my book, it's a coin toss between Hasselbeck and Krieg for the 2nd best Seahawk QB. The only reason one would go with Krieg would be due to his tenure and career stats. Hass took care of the ball one helluva lot better than Krieg ever did. I saw once saw Krieg fumble when there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of him. His fumbles always seemed to come at the worst possible moment.

Hass's 2005 season wasn't statistically great, but he was extremely efficient, limited his turnovers, didn't take any huge sacks, essentially a game manager. He made good run/pass decisions.

But the craziest season was the year before, in 2004. I swear, DJack and KRob had a contest to see who could drop the most 3rd down passes. And the ironic part of that season isn't that it ended on a dropped pass, but it was a dropped pass by our most reliable receiver, Bobby Engram. Hass had very poor support from his receiving corps that season, the worst I've ever seen in watching Seahawk football.

Mix

Reaction score

Dave Krieg passed for 9 TDs 6 INTs in the playoffs as Seahawks QB. Hasselbeck 18 TD 9 Ints in playoffs as Seahawks QB.​

Dave Krieg had 3 Wins 4 losses as Seahawks QB, Hasselbeck 5-6 in playoffs as Seahawks QB​

Hasselbeck 10 seasons Hawks QB.
Dave krieg 12 Seasons as Hawks QB.

Hasselbeck took the Hawks to 4 more Playoff games, in 2 less years.

Hasselbeck 1 NFC Championship Title, 1 SB Appearance.
Dave Krieg 1 AFC Championship Appearance

schkoot

Reaction score
That's usually because Hasselbeck isn't chasing down his latest fumble.
Yeah, and he had Mike Holmgren to groom him for a bunch of seasons before he could beat the punchline of SB QBs out of a starting job.

Dave Krieg came in hot out of nowhere and shined. Plus he had a 10-6 season where we missed the playoffs because the AFCW was too loaded and a strike season.

Mix

Reaction score
Yeah, and he had Mike Holmgren to groom him for a bunch of seasons before he could beat the punchline of SB QBs out of a starting job.

Dave Krieg came in hot out of nowhere and shined. Plus he had a 10-6 season where we missed the playoffs because the AFCW was too loaded and a strike season.
Dave Krieg came in hot out of nowhere and shined?
He was in the league for 4 whole seasons before getting the opening day starting job.
His rookie year he has 2 attempts in 1 game played
Second year started 3 games played in played in 7. 7 Tds to 5 Ints
3rd year 2 games started played in 3. 2 Tds to 2 Ints
4th year 8 starts and 9 games played. 18 Tds to 11 Ints
5th year is when he started as the main QB and had a good season. 12-4 record 32 Tds to 24 Ints.

Hasselbeck also became a full time starter in year 5. 10-6 record, 26 Tds to 15 Ints.

They both had 3 Seasons with 10+ wins.

Only 1 Won an AFC/NFC Championship and went to the SB.

Hasselbeck.

Last edited:

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Hass is one of my favorite players. He was part of the inspiration for my #8 tat. He's a character with style.

schkoot

Reaction score
Dave Krieg came in hot out of nowhere and shined?
He was in the league for 4 whole seasons before getting the opening day starting job.
His rookie year he has 2 attempts in 1 game played
Second year started 3 games played in played in 7. 7 Tds to 5 Ints
3rd year 2 games started played in 3. 2 Tds to 2 Ints
4th year 8 starts and 9 games played. 18 Tds to 11 Ints
5th year is when he started as the main QB and had a good season. 12-4 record 32 Tds to 24 Ints.

Hasselbeck also became a full time starter in year 5. 10-6 record, 26 Tds to 15 Ints.

They both had 3 Seasons with 10+ wins.

Only 1 Won an AFC/NFC Championship and went to the SB.

Hasselbeck.
Before I go off here, I need it to be said to the heavens and the earth that I loved MH as the Seahawks QB. But he was still behind Krieg. How?

Well for starters, you cherry picked lots of TEAM stats and applied them as QB stats.

It's cool that MH won the NFCC game and DK lost the AFCC game, but that's not a QB stat.

What is a QB stat?

TD to INT ration? Yeah DK had some shitty seasons like a TD/INT at 7-5. Only Matt had 7-8 TD/INT a full year LATER in his carreer.

In their fourth years DK bested MH 18/11 to 15/10.

As careers go later years are obfuscated by strikes; MH was going to the SB when DK was growing a strike beard in the same trajectory.

That means lots of legitimate records died without having been born.

And even after all that MH NEVER bested Krieg's 32 TDs per season, and RW didn't either until the Seahawks were a spent force.

All of the records above should be noted that Hass had MH throughout (even his boot ass rookie yeara) and Kreig only got Knox in 83.

So yeah... Krieg is better than Hass. He just is. Hass was hella good too. It's just that Kreig was GOOD good on a team from South Alaska.

schkoot

Reaction score
TLDR: Dave Krieg did way more with way less than Matt Hasselbeck. And I still consider HM one of the Seahawk greats.

Mix

Reaction score
TLDR: Dave Krieg did way more with way less than Matt Hasselbeck. And I still consider HM one of the Seahawk greats.
Hasselbeck never had a Steve Largent.

DK had more TDs, and vastly more INT/Fumble turnovers.

Some people love regular season QBs over Playoff winners, and that's fine.

I also consider DK a great Seahawk. He sits at #3 QB all time for the Hawks imo.

BASF

Reaction score
Um...

AFCCG 3 CMP 9 ATT 12 YARDS (this is not a typo, yes, 12 yards) 0 TDS 3 INTS 1 FUMBLE

NFCCG 20 CMP 28 ATT 219 YARDS 2 TDS 0 INTS 0 FUMBLES

Dave Krieg is the reason we lost the AFC championship game.

I love both of them, but if you look objectively only one of them had multiple good games in the playoffs. Also, everyone remembers the Beast Quake because it is the best play in NFL history, but Matt threw four touchdowns that day.

Mix

Reaction score
Um...

AFCCG 3 CMP 9 ATT 12 YARDS (this is not a typo, yes, 12 yards) 0 TDS 3 INTS 1 FUMBLE

NFCCG 20 CMP 28 ATT 219 YARDS 2 TDS 0 INTS 0 FUMBLES

Dave Krieg is the reason we lost the AFC championship game.

I love both of them, but if you look objectively only one of them had multiple good games in the playoffs. Also, everyone remembers the Beast Quake because it is the best play in NFL history, but Matt threw four touchdowns that day.
Hasselbeck even got a hand on a guy to knock him off balance on the beast quake run. Sure it was borderline block in the back that could of ruined it all, but he was there trying to do whatever he could to win that game.

schkoot

Reaction score
Hasselbeck never had a Steve Largent.

DK had more TDs, and vastly more INT/Fumble turnovers.

Some people love regular season QBs over Playoff winners, and that's fine.

I also consider DK a great Seahawk. He sits at #3 QB all time for the Hawks imo.
Gotta come into this discussion less hot than I have. We're all Hawks fans and I need to frame my responses as such. But you can say MH never had a SL and that's true, but a Mike Holmgren would be much more beneficial to DK than SL wuold be to Hass. I'm not saying the 80s Hawks were rudderless, but MH was (and might still be) the best Seahawks coach ever. And I like Pete.

DK is 2

MH is 2.1

I love them both But Krieg wins by a nose for me.

schkoot

Reaction score
Also why no 32 TD for MH? He played in a better era for QBs? That's a mighty big record for the dark ages of QBs.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hasselbeck even got a hand on a guy to knock him off balance on the beast quake run. Sure it was borderline block in the back that could of ruined it all, but he was there trying to do whatever he could to win that game.

It's totally true.

That was the one moment I said "Thank You Baby Jesus" they didn't throw a flag because they could have and we would all be denied that special, historic moment. It almost feels like even in the moment they knew that play would be historic.

And sorry, we can go round and round with stats all day but give me Hass over Mudbone. Neither should ever be disparaged in Seahawks lore of course but I think at the end of the day, Hass was the better QB in clutch time, playoffs, et al.

Plus Hass was the cooler dude so neener neener.

Atradees

Reaction score
I always loved Matt. He should be on the broadcast crew of the Hawks! If there ever was a guy that outplayed his athleticism it was him. We want the ball and we are gonna score!

Last edited: