Have Teams Found Ways to Counter the Noise at The CLINK?

andyh64000

Reaction score
The crowd isn't as loud as last year most of the time (the Cowboys game was really weak). Last week wasn't bad but still not as loud as could have been but I fully expect the crowd to step it up during the playoffs.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Teams have adjusted by working on the silent count. You see it nearly every single snap in our stadium now and explains why we're not getting the false starts we used to. Hat's off to them as it seems to have neutralized things a little bit, but never, ever stop screaming. No matter how many silent counts are used, the sheer volume level is still disruptive in many other ways.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ruminator":1pp0t1v5 said:
Opponent's false start penalties at the Clink certainly has plummeted to a fraction of what it was a couple seasons ago.
Yeah, now if we can just get our own O-Line to cut down on the False Starts at the Clink, eh?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":1ixh20lp said:
Teams have adjusted by working on the silent count. You see it nearly every single snap in our stadium now and explains why we're not getting the false starts we used to. Hat's off to them as it seems to have neutralized things a little bit, but never, ever stop screaming. No matter how many silent counts are used, the sheer volume level is still disruptive in many other ways.

Absolutely it's still disruptive. Not only is that wall of sound unsettling and draining over four quarters, it makes it next to impossible to change plays at the line.

Sure the QB can do a quick hand signal to a WR or something, but for guys like Manning that run complicated offenses? It SEVERELY restricts their ability to approach the line, survey the defense and make successful changes.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Personally, I view both the False Starts record and the decibel record as completely pointless. They are comparison metrics trying to approximate crowd intensity and I just don't care what other people think about our crowd noise. If they have been to a game here then they know exactly what our crowd is like, and if they haven't then they can't have an informed opinion about it. Hawk fans who go to the games know exactly what kind of an impact we have and how fired up the defense gets at home. As far as I am concerned everything else is just City Comparison nonsense.

BocciHawk is correct that the intelligence of the Hawk crowd can backfire at times when the fan base doesn't always show up at 100% against bad opponents. There is zero chance of that happening in the playoffs regardless of the opponent and I expect two very loud home games over the next few weeks.

Largent80

Reaction score
12's fire up the Hawks and they have said so many times. HOWEVER, I was listening to KIRO radio one day about a month ago and Pete was asking the 12's what's up?

If he can hear it isn't as loud then you guys that live there now and go to the games need to take it up a notch.

After the 2005 Giant game, I had no voice a week later, a pathetic squeeky chirp at best.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NorCalSeahawkFan":twi0kxqr said:
They learned that if they say anything, they will piss the fans off and we will be louder.

I was at the game when the refs thru the flag on the fans for crowd noise. I thought we were going to blow the roof off the King Dome.
Horseface, and I hate him to this day for it.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I was at the Rams game on Sunday and if that wasn't loud, I'd hate to hear when it's really loud. (I haven't been to a live game for several years I'm sad to say.) And, yes, even without the false starts, the noise still makes it extremely difficult for the QB and Center to make adjustments at the line. It's a huge boost for the defense.

Sac

Reaction score
Ruminator":lmpwaeey said:
Opponent's false start penalties at the Clink certainly has plummeted to a fraction of what it was a couple seasons ago.

Refs don't call penalties on Seahawks opponents.

byau

Reaction score
Even if opposing teams have countered it, it is still something extra they have to game plan for and spend time on.

That adds complexity and takes time away from other planning.

Right away that's getting into the heads of opposing teams.

The Outfield

Reaction score
It seems to me like the fans quieted down this year. I went to a game this year and last year and it didn't seem anywhere near as loud this year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Teams are just good at a silent count so less false starts.

Still huge advantage since teams can't communicate

HawkerD

Reaction score
Not sure how many remember when a QB could back out from under center and tell the ref he couldn't hear and the Defensive player would have to motion for the crowd to quiet down. It is almost comical thinking about that.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I bet we have more false starts at home this year than our opponents.. Seems like every game (excluding last week) either Okung or Carp when healthy always have one or two a game

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Been to every home game the past 3 seasons and I can't honestly say I can tell much of a difference in the crowd noise. After a certain level I'm not sure how so many people are so convinced it's markedly quieter than before. There are some games you know aren't going to have the same buzz, like the Raiders this year, Jaguars last year.

i think the real change is that teams are prepping for it regularly rather than fitting in some things the week before they play seattle, at least in the NFC, knowing they may have to play here in the playoffs. There are obviously things you can do to combat the noise but in the past It probably wasn't worth the time spent working it into a routine game plan. Last year though, everyone witnessed how difficult it really is, and how likely it might be that Seattle (and other loud stadiums) are a true obstacle in the playoffs. I notice in general in the nfl a lot more of lines looking in at the ball and the QB doing more stomping than recent years.

Seeing teams like Seattle and Kansas City being so loud, and places like New Orleans having such a home field advantage, it's no doubt offenses will learn to adapt - and rule changes lately favoring the offense has given them some room to breath and fit in some extra work on defending against it.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2tq16y6q said:
Been to every home game the past 3 seasons and I can't honestly say I can tell much of a difference in the crowd noise. After a certain level I'm not sure how so many people are so convinced it's markedly quieter than before. There are some games you know aren't going to have the same buzz, like the Raiders this year, Jaguars last year.

i think the real change is that teams are prepping for it regularly rather than fitting in some things the week before they play seattle, at least in the NFC, knowing they may have to play here in the playoffs. There are obviously things you can do to combat the noise but in the past It probably wasn't worth the time spent working it into a routine game plan. Last year though, everyone witnessed how difficult it really is, and how likely it might be that Seattle (and other loud stadiums) are a true obstacle in the playoffs. I notice in general in the nfl a lot more of lines looking in at the ball and the QB doing more stomping than recent years.

Seeing teams like Seattle and Kansas City being so loud, and places like New Orleans having such a home field advantage, it's no doubt offenses will learn to adapt - and rule changes lately favoring the offense has given them some room to breath and fit in some extra work on defending against it.

Well I went to the Raiders game this year, Vikings last year, so maybe that's why lol. Most people around me were pretty quiet.

seahawks08

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1enq5ixy said:
Sgt. Largent":1enq5ixy said:
I hate to be THAT guy, but I went to two games this year (Raiders and Giants) and I didn't think it was as loud as it normally is.

Now maybe the Raiders and Giants were arguably the worst games for fans getting fired up, but never the less I noticed less noise than in years past.

Add in teams are now adept at practicing silent counts, and that all adds up to less false starts.

Theres been alot of talk about this as well. Season tix holders selling their tix. Fans aren't as "hungry" anymore.... who knows if thats true or not. But let's bring it in two weeks.
May be we the ticket holders and fans should have a closed door meeting to give it our all for making noise. Seriously we are loud, for all the games with the loudest being Arizona when our season was at line. Its only human to not scream once in a while and not bring your A game. We were pretty loud for Denver, GB, SFO games. We kind of took it for granted on the Dallas game.

Playoffs definitely will be loud, its playoff fever, not all teams get this opportunity.Seahawks needs us and the fans know that. I also feel 12th man flag raising is when the fans start getting fired up and then the 4th quarter, from my observation. I guess we follow Petes Mantra, FINISH STRONG and have lots of fun doing it.

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Thank you exactly what i wanted to hear, I knew they were using the silent count, but wanted to hear more from actual people that's been there since I could only live vicariously through other fans.

What I use to remember is that it gets so loud that the QB would have to take a time out, or have a delay of game penalty, and of course offsides. Which I haven't seen too many of. The fans use to force those out like nothing. You could even see the frustration on the QB's face. We use to hear how the coaches say they would blast loud music while they practice and wear earplugs. This year not so much.

12s will bring it, we need that disruption again! It's playoff baby!

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with last years Guinness record breaking narrative and the media asking those questions than anything else.

But yeah teams seem to use more silent counts and are note aware and prepared for it than before.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Crowd noise isn't just about false starts.

It's about confusion...hard to relay information at the line of scrimmage. Causes chaos and forces hand signals. Hand signals are harder to decipher than audible signals. When there's confusion there's delay of games, missed assignments, and time outs you don't want to take.

It's about get off....notice how our pass rush is much much more dominant at home? There's a reason for that and it's not getting energy from freshly brewed Seattle coffee.

Forcing False starts is the least valuable advantage imo