Hawks 2013 D better than Ravens 2000 D

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
For myself I do think the Raven defense was better. Can't say anything about the Bear defense given I wasn't interested in football at that time.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great post, thanks for putting in the time. :th2thumbs:

While it will always be impossible to "prove" one way or the other, you make some great arguments. Some simple ones for me are, we throttled the highest scoring offense in NFL history. Knowshon finally showed what everyone thought he could do when Denver drafted him, albeit in a contract year. The group of wide receivers was phenomenal, Eric Decker, Demaryus Thomas, Wes Welker, Julius Thomas. Add to that an offensive line and game plan that only allowed 22 sacks all season long and none in the playoffs.

There was a reason a large majority picked the Broncos to win the SuperB Owl, "Record Setting Offense."

I doubt there were very many people picking the Giants to beat the Ravens, let alone people predicting New York would "blow out" Baltimore. In fact I'd wager nobody of import thought that.

The 2000 New York Giants were no juggernaut with Kerry Collins, Tiki Barber and Ike Hilliard. It still blows my mind that Jim Fassel got so many wins during his time there. Must be something in the water that keeps that team coming back to the Superbowl.

Great argument, especially since you took the time to put some substance in to your argument.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I would like to know the average age and experience of '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, and '13 Seahawks.

Finding Age it might be appropriate to get it down to the exact month which I have done part of the math. To find months and convert it the fraction of a year its 8.33x, with x being the number of months.

Is anybody is up to the challenge?

My hypothesis is that the Seahawks likely will be the youngest and less experienced of the three which in my opinion makes the 2013 D all that more impressive when considering the NFL of today and its Offensive trends.

Also, I think it would be wise to determine if '85 bears and '00 Ravens were blowing teams out and what their garbage points were.

All I know is Seahawks gave up quite a few garbage points.

Another thing to determine after garbage points is pure defensive points allowed... so no special team or offensive teams gaffes that put opponents in automatic scoring position.

Because Seahawks allowed a lot of garbage points with 2nd string action and plenty of points to be scored on the defense because of blocked kicks and turnovers. The Defense in pure points probably allowed under 12 points compared to its season average of 14.4?

To go to 14.4 to sub 12.0 you are looking around 40 points. 17 points to blocked kicks/punts vs INDY, TENN, SFO. 24 known garbage time points JAX, Minn. And a KO fumble that scored 7 vs TB is already 48 points. And I'm sure there are plenty of more points that were technically not given up by the Seahawks starting Defense.

theascension

Reaction score
Unlike the '00 ravens we had by my count 7 blowouts this year and played prevent or put in our second guys. I calculated yards and points of our blowouts v.s when our starting defense was out or we were playing prevent defense.

Jacksonville
first 3 quarters - 7 points (only because of fluky interception on 2 yard line)
98 yards (2.3y/p)
4th quarter - 10 points
170 yard (6.8y/p)

Arizona (prevent defense was put in 3rd quarter)
first 3 quarters - 16 points
150 yards (2.8y/p)
4th quarter - 7 points
114 yards (5.42y/p)

Atlanta
first 3 quarters - 10 points - touchdown was scored on a 4th down play against maxwell
186 yards (4.5y/p)
4th quarter - 0 points
100 yard (7.14y/p)

Minnesota (we intercepted 3 passes in the 4th quarter even when it was already beginning to be a blowout)
first 3 quarters - 13 points
236 yards (4.72y/p)
4th quarter - 7 points
133 yards (5.78y/p)

New Orleans (first matchup)
first 3 - 7 points
155 yards (3.44y/p)
4th quarter - 0 points
41 yards (3.72y/p)

Rams (last game of season)
first 3 - 3 points
100 yards (2.85y/p)
4th quarter - 7 points
70 yards (4.37y/p)

Broncos (we went into prevent defense before the touchdown)
First 3 quarters (before touchdown) - 0 points
166 yards (3.77y/p)
3rd quarter TD to 4th quarter - 8 points
141 yards (7.05y/p)

Pre late 3rd to 4th quarter blowout defense - 3.48y/p (2.6 points/quarter) - 59 pts
51.9 yards per quarter
Late 3rd - 4th quarter blowout defense - 5.75y/p (5.57 points/quarter) - 39pts
109.8 yards per quarter

If we'd gone 100% in late blowouts we'd have arguably half the points and yards we allowed (or less). Still not quite Ravens territory but...

When playing at full throttle we allowed 3 lousy points on opening drives (after wilson's fumble in the NFCC).
I calculated it and we allowed 2.9yard per play on opening drives. 2.1 if you take away Arizona's large drive on us at home in the loss (we intercepted). 2.9 yards per play.

Ravens faced off against some pretty good quarterbacks (Kordell Stewart, Mark Brunell, Steve McNair, Troy Aikman). But also some real duds that were even worse than the worst we faced (Ryan Leaf, Doug Pederson, Bobby Hoying).
Overall the Ravens faced an average QB rating of 68.56

We faced off against 2 Elite legends and many great QBs, including the 'best ever'. We faced more 'good' qbs (Carson Palmer, Andrew Luck, Kaepernick, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan) and a few more bad (Matt Schaub, Chad Henne, MIke Glennon, Eli Manning, Christian Ponder).
Overall average QB rating of 82.8