Hawks' next 3 opponents show why a top QB draft pick...

Mizak

Reaction score

Each of the next three weeks the Seahawks face a QB who was once a first or second overall pick, two of whom were also Heisman Trophy winners, all regarded on draft day as franchise saviors and all instead now trying to revive/keep alive their careers with new teams — Atlanta’s Marcus Mariota Sunday at Lumen Field, Detroit’s Jared Goff the following Sunday and New Orleans’ Jameis Winston on Oct. 9.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is a sobering statistical reality that despite solid play as a college player that ability frequently, or more often than not, doesn't always translate well to playing in the NFL.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I was never sold on Jameis Winston. Even in college. He struck me as a turnover machine that just happened to be a part of a winning program at Florida State. That team was loaded for a few years. Obviously, Winston was a major contributing factor to the success. And his record as a starter (27-1) speaks for itself. But the ACC is very top-heavy conference. Even more so in 2014-2015 than it is today.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

Each of the next three weeks the Seahawks face a QB who was once a first or second overall pick, two of whom were also Heisman Trophy winners, all regarded on draft day as franchise saviors and all instead now trying to revive/keep alive their careers with new teams — Atlanta’s Marcus Mariota Sunday at Lumen Field, Detroit’s Jared Goff the following Sunday and New Orleans’ Jameis Winston on Oct. 9.
And? Anyone could tell you that. What sort of point are you trying to prove with that information? At the end of the day we're still going to need a new passer to replace Lock and Geno. We can't just skip on a potential franchise guy because players haven't panned out before.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Scouting, and trusting your own scouting and analysis, is important. I remember when the Digits had the 1st overall pick and needed a QB. It was seemingly a tossup between Alex Smith and Arron Rodgers. They coulda had Rodgers, but the went with conventional wisdom or whatever else was driving their decision making.

In the same way, we ended up with Dan McGwire instead of Brett Favre.

I trust JS to not make those kinds of decisions.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire and to an extent, Kelly Stauffer are all I need to know that 1st round QBs are not guaranteed.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Like I said before, look for the main QB characteristics like: Arm-strength, height, weight, mechanics, and mobility.

After that, dissect every game tape for a glimpse into whether or not they can read a defense and make smart decisions in the heat of the moment.

Drafting a QB is always a crapshoot but stick to the principles above and we'll have a better shot at selecting a good one.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Imagine swinging and missing on a guy like Trey Lance. Yikes. He makes Ryan Leaf look like Montana

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This is why once you get one of the actual NFL starters you keep them. You can't find a good one without drafting one, probably high, but chances are they're going to bust. Let's hope they get lucky and pick the right dude.

WarHawks

Reaction score
That's why they need to draft one every year if necessary until they find the right one.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
We did everything right today.....including QB play. (Not counting the last play)

Why did we still lose?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Penalties and field goals inside the 10 really took the life out of them today. Felt like the offense looked better but the coverage was poor

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Like I said before, look for the main QB characteristics like: Arm-strength, height, weight, mechanics, and mobility.

After that, dissect every game tape for a glimpse into whether or not they can read a defense and make smart decisions in the heat of the moment.

Drafting a QB is always a crapshoot but stick to the principles above and we'll have a better shot at selecting a good one.
I have to disagree. All those things are measurable, and so doesn’t explain why all these college quarterbacks who have all those traits in spades often fail when they get to the NFL. The most important skills are in his brain — not in his arm or legs. Those physical characteristics are assets, but they won’t save you if you don’t have the mental processing abilities needed to play NFL QB at an elite level. We don’t really discover who’s got it until they arrive in the NFL and show us.