'Hawks officially release Sidney Rice & Big Red Bryant

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Damn it, I'ma miss Big Red, really thought the cap extension might save him.

Will never forget his pick 6 vs Bears a couple seasons back.

All the best to both of them. Will be picking up a #79 jersey!

Laloosh

Reaction score
Take care of yourself, Big Red. My favorite avatar too...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1vnynzb9 said:
Man, really hate seeing Red go. It seemed like every time I watched Seahawks All Access' pre-game stuff and locker room videos Big Red was always leading the huddles before the games to get our guys pumped up. Really gonna miss his leadership.

The great thing is that while Bryant leaving is sad, it opens up a spot for Earl Thomas to lay claim to that defensive captain position. He seems to be just as vocal as Bryant. When he was talking up the D before the SB, I got chills.

sutz

Reaction score
Will miss Big Red, for sure. Too bad about Sid, too. If only he could have kept healthy...

Well, maybe Red will come back at a discount. Doubtful, I guess, but I'm not sure his talents transfer to another defense directly since we used him in some unique ways.

Best wishes to both guys, though. Thanks for the memories.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I hate to see certain players go, but if they go with Super bowl rings and millions of dollars, I can't be too sad.

It is interesting that we haven't heard anything about Clemons yet. But I suppose he wouldn't go anywhere until Bennett was signed.

drdiags

Reaction score
Kudos to them for their time here. Will miss Big Red and wish Rice had been more successful here. Best of luck unless the Seahawks are playing them.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":179oan73 said:
My favorite Bryant play was the blocked FG against SF in 2012. (That led to Sherman's TD).

Sidney: Game winning reception against Chicago.

Really Chicago? I think the New England game winner was spectacular, and I will always remember that play first and foremost when thinking of Rice.

kearly

Reaction score
I actually don't feel sad for either of these guys. Red will be in demand as a FA. He's much better off being released at age 29 than he would be next year at age 30. Rice will also be in demand. if Rice goes to a team like New England on a 1 year "prove it" deal, he could end up making a fortune in the long run while still playing for a contending team. Rice is only 27 and WRs are known to play well into their 30s.

Seahawk Sailor":2pskw1a6 said:
Hmm.

Tim Booth ‏@ByTimBooth 49s
Interesting. According to NFL transaction report, Sidney Rice was released with "failed physical

Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre 2m
Seahawks WR Sidney Rice was released with a "Failed Physical" designation

I assume the failed physical is related to the ACL he tore 4 months ago.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Makes it a bit awkward when they visit the White House.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Red is one of our FAVS. Top 3 for my wife. She doesn't know yet. I hope something happens and he comes back.
Not sure if I should tell her or let her hear it on her own. :(

mikeak

Reaction score
Does the failed physical change anything in regards to cap etc? I would assume the dead money cap hit remains the same just a notice to other teams

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Some guys feel like they're lifetime Hawks, or should be. Big Red was one of those guys. Hope he finds his way back here.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3le97lnt said:
My favorite Bryant play was the blocked FG against SF in 2012. (That led to Sherman's TD).

Sidney: Game winning reception against Chicago.

For me; it was Rice's catch against the Pats that lead us all to believe. Tate's catch against GB was cool, but Rice's catch was no kinda fluke...IMHO it said, "Yes we can...!" :thirishdrinkers:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sorry to see Red go but his best memory in football will be his time as a Champion Hawk..As for Rice.I can't say I'm sad..He gets hurt too much,it may be best if he just hung up the helmet..

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3h7uynfr said:
Sorry to see Red go but his best memory in football will be his time as a Champion Hawk..As for Rice.I can't say I'm sad..He gets hurt too much,it may be best if he just hung up the helmet..

I hope Rice just hangs it up. He won a ring and He has had a ton of injuries and should just save himself from life changing injury later down the line.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a video on the Scruggs website where Scruggs is walking into the locker room right before the SuperBowl and the entire team is surrounding Red. Red is clearly screaming at them and firing them up and everybody is feeding into the fire.

You can tell just how much of a leader Red was/is by looking at that moment, even if you cannot hear a word he is saying.

Sometimes you know the cost of things, know what has to be done, but man does it suck when you have to finally admit it and do it. This is one of those times where you just wish there was anything that could be done to keep him but you know you cannot.

Damnit.

I am going to miss watching him as a Seahawk.