'Hawks officially release Sidney Rice & Big Red Bryant

BASF

Reaction score
I truly hope that I do not hear the guys continue the "We all we got, we all we need," chant. That was pure Red, and if we use it without him, it will cheapen it for me. I have enjoyed Red ever since we drafted him, even when he was struggling as a DT. Having him being successful at DE revolutionized this defense. It simply changed the way we played and it made it very hard for other teams to practice for playing against us. I truly hope we can bring him back at a more cap friendly deal, but I understand that he needs to make sure he can maximize his earning to set his family for their lives.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
drdiags":386hdpzm said:
Red probably should have taken the Patriots offer. It could have been misplaced loyalty on his part, since his father-in-law was held in high regards here. If that was the case, he let sentiment cloud his judgement.

Everybody is spoiled, fans included. We get mad if a guy says he isn't taking a hometown discount, when the team probably just cut a guy who did.

EDIT: Removed reply about Clemons, since it is noted below that his tweet wasn't football related.

No guarantee he would've made it three years with the Patriots. In fact, they probably offered him the same deal. His contract was written in a way that basically guaranteed he'd be released in Year 3 (has a $3M roster bonus due). There are no surprises here. Most agents understand that the vast majority of NFL players don't see the final year of a multi-year deal.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
TDtoRiceInArz

This was my favorite play Sidney provided us with this season. Sure it wasn't what the 2012 plays against the Pats or Bears were, but it was an awesome tone-setter for a big midseason road win that we absolutely needed.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Honestly, you think these guys don't know what year this is going to happen when they sign their contract? Red and Sidney will play the FA field, if nothing comes of it, they may be back. Rice probably won't be healthy, and Red has more value to this defense than any other. You cannot pay a DE starter $$$ to only play 20 snaps a game. I really think Red will be back.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
BASF":15xepel0 said:
I truly hope that I do not hear the guys continue the "We all we got, we all we need," chant. That was pure Red, and if we use it without him, it will cheapen it for me.

That's one of the best pre-game/anytime chants I've heard in sports. It really sucks that Red's not the one leading the chant, but I don't mind if they use it still and they probably will. Gets you pumped and the message bonds the team.

Penman96

Reaction score
Change happens. I've supported the Seahawks since before any of these players were born, and I'll be supporting the Seahawks after every last one of them is gone. Got to trust Pete and John who built this wonderful team by making hundreds of roster moves. If that's what keeps us winning, long may it continue.

Bon chance Red and Sid, thanks for helping the team.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Goodbye, and thank you for your time here Big Red and Sid, you will be in our hearts forever.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Its sad to see some of your favorites go sometimes, but it is now time to move on. Thanks big Red for your service and good luck.

I would assume Clem is next as soon as they get an idea on what they will do for a long term solution at pass rusher. If that's signing Bennett, some other player, or maybe even just extending someone like Avril.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2o3r8bu6 said:
BASF":2o3r8bu6 said:
I truly hope that I do not hear the guys continue the "We all we got, we all we need," chant. That was pure Red, and if we use it without him, it will cheapen it for me.

That's one of the best pre-game/anytime chants I've heard in sports. It really sucks that Red's not the one leading the chant, but I don't mind if they use it still and they probably will. Gets you pumped and the message bonds the team.

Actually, I believe that Lawyer Milloy was the first Hawk player to start that chant, and Red and a few others kept it going. Lawyer got it going shortly before our playoff game with the Saints when we went 7-9.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
John and Pete have been "burning the late night oil" these past ten days deciding who to keep and what to offer the rest of those in "Free Agent land". We all admitted that the "hand writing was on the wall" for Sidney and Big Red. We all deep down inside do not enjoy saying "Goodbye" to those who helped us get to the "Promised Land"...but the NFL "cap" has our "backs against the wall". Now is the time where we "put our money where our mouth is" and put our trust in Pete and John. Thank you Sidney and Red for your years of service.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seaswab":bf4tcmp8 said:
They had better extend Earl and sign Bennett
That's a lock now., :| Rice was expected but Red wasn't but looking at it objectively it shouldn't be given his cap number and how we have more than one option right on the roster now to replace him without too much of a dropoff at least not so much as to be impossible to deal with.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seaswab":3hw64x0q said:
They had better extend Earl and sign Bennett
That's a lock now Rice was expected but Red wasn't but looking at it objectively it shouldn't be given his cap number and how we have more than one option right on the roster now to replace him without too much of a dropoff at least not so much as to be impossible to deal with.

kobebryant

Reaction score
once a hawk always a hawk. i wish them the best, will be rooting for them, and will be happy to see the love they get when they raise that flag one day.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I heard John Clayton on 710 this afternoon saying there will be a few more cuts coming in the next few days. He said they have till the 11th to finalize any additional cuts, but mentioned that Miller & Clemons were to be next. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Thanks for the Big Trophy.
I think Scrugg's can man Red's spot...
Younger, faster, stronger, louder.
Go Hawks!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
lsheldon":18yl6v4j said:
I heard John Clayton on 710 this afternoon saying there will be a few more cuts coming in the next few days. He said they have till the 11th to finalize any additional cuts, but mentioned that Miller & Clemons were to be next. Guess we will have to wait and see.
Totally expected.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't like the Bryant cut because he didn't drop off, and probably had a better year in 2013 than in 2012 (though he was carrying an injury then).
I understand, it's a big number for the job he does... but the FO said he was worth it 2 years ago, now they're telling him "actually, no you're not".
it's certainly something that the rest of the team will notice when contract negotiations are on, and it will make things more difficult in the future

McGruff

Reaction score
themunn":1u6c8tmq said:
I don't like the Bryant cut because he didn't drop off, and probably had a better year in 2013 than in 2012 (though he was carrying an injury then).
I understand, it's a big number for the job he does... but the FO said he was worth it 2 years ago, now they're telling him "actually, no you're not".
it's certainly something that the rest of the team will notice when contract negotiations are on, and it will make things more difficult in the future

Actually, the front office gave him a contract, which he and his agent agreed to, which by the numbers said that unless you develop some pass rush moves and grow into an elite DE, you are probably going to get cut in 2014. Every player knows it and understands it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
themunn":3k9txcrk said:
I think it's beyond a big number.
We are going to have to get used to a different business model now. Getting rid of players a year too soon rather than a year too late.
As far as players noticing and it affecting their attitude toward the front office, which of the 32 teams doesn't cut contracted players as some sort of contrast to what Seattle just did? That team does not exist. In fact, I would have to say that the way Seattle treated Red when they gave him the big deal, not franchising him, allowing him to explore moving elsewhere and getting offers from other teams (which they did with Mebane as well) will resonate with players more.

In fact, if Red or his agent did not suspect this was possible if not even likely, when they signed a deal that fully guaranteed the first two years, but also had a March 2014 roster bonus of 3 million, they are fools. They are not fools. They knew this was possible, even likely, when they signed the deal.

Subzero717

Reaction score
McGruff":2aeoa5mr said:
themunn":2aeoa5mr said:

Actually, the front office gave him a contract, which he and his agent agreed to, which by the numbers said that unless you develop some pass rush moves and grow into an elite DE, you are probably going to get cut in 2014. Every player knows it and understands it.

Is that what the contract said for real? I find that hard to believe seeings he hasnt played in passing downs since PC took over and nothing about the system supports that at all.