Hawkscanner's Seahawks Mock Draft (Version 1.0)

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Since it seems everyone else is doing it, I figured I might as well take a stab at this as well. The bulk of this scenario actually came to me during a long hike in the woods with my family today. This more represents MY dream draft, though I actually could see the trade scenario end of this (or something close to it) actually come to fruition on draft day. Here is the scenario …

Now coming in to the draft, the Seahawks have signed DT Desmond Bryant and DE John Abraham. So, their biggest need being that pass rush and defensive line is already somewhat addressed. Keep that in mind here.

On draft day, Rex Ryan and the Jets use their 1st Round Pick (#9 Overall) and take Ezekiel Ansah, DE out of BYU, as Ryan and the Jets aren’t overly thrilled enough with any of the quarterback prospects to that them that high. Having scratched his defensive itch, Ryan knows that he needs to address an offense that was one of the very worst in all of football. He not only needs to upgrade the quarterback position … but he desperately needs playmakers – someone that can really light it up on the field and get Jet fans excited again. The Seahawks are on the clock at #25 … and a true difference maker in Tavon Austin is still on the board. Wanting BOTH to address the quarterback position AND afraid that:
A] either the Texans at #27 or the Patriots at #29 will snag Austin
B] E.J. Manuel will be gone by the time they draft again at #39 (probably to the Jags at #33. Matt Barkley and Geno Smith are both gone by this point.)

… John Idzek, with his inside knowledge of the Seahawks, places a call and proposes the following deal …

The Seahawks send their 1st Round Pick (#25) [720 points]
AND Matt Flynn [trade wise worth about a 4th Round Pick]

The Jets send their 2nd Round Pick (#39) [510 points]
their 3rd Round Pick (#72) [230 points]
their 4th Round Pick (#105) [84 points]
AND a conditional pick in 2014 (which on the high end could be a 3rd Rounder … and on the low end a 5th Rounder depending on Flynn’s performance)

(the 2nd and 3rd being the price for Tavon Austin … and the 4th and the Conditional Pick being the price for Flynn)

And in order to mine more from that rich deep talent pool from the middle of the draft, the Seahawks also call up the Cleveland Browns initiate a trade for the #105 Pick. Since the Hawks are fairly set at numerous positions and knowing that many of these late round picks may not make the club anyway … they trade both of their 5th Rounders and their 6th in order to jump up to #105. Cleveland, needing a lot more warm bodies to fill uniforms, jumps at the opportunity …

Point Value …

4(105) 84 points

5(133) 39.5 points
5(153) 30.2 points
6(186) 17 points

The Seahawks then drafts the following with these picks …

2(39) – OLB Khaseem Greene(6’1 245 pounds) Rutgers
2(56) – DE Margus Hunt (6’8” 277 pounds) Southern Methodist
3(72) – QB Matt Scott (6’2” 213 pounds) Arizona
3(87) -- WR Da’Rick Rogers (6’3” 217 pounds) Tennessee Tech
4(103) – TE Jordan Reed (6’3” 236 pounds) Florida
4(105) – DT Montori Hughes (6’4” 329 pounds) Tennessee-Martin
4(122) – CB Terry Hawthorne (6’0” 195 pounds) Illinois
7(200) -- WR Courtney Gardner (6’3” 220 pounds) Sierra College
7(206) – OT Alex Hurst (6’6” 332 pounds) LSU
7(217) – RB – Rayon Simmons (5’9” 223 pounds) Winona State

Rationale:

2nd Round ...
The Seahawks badly need an upgrade at the WILL. They were burned last season in coverage related to that area and are thrilled to death to add a guy in Khaseem Greene who is not only a tackling machine … but is also someone who has played defensive back in the past. His leadership, his tireless work ethic, and his intangibles just scream, “Seahawk”. Even after signing John Abraham, the Seahawks are still needing youth and in the defensive line. Pete Carroll can’t help being the boy who pilfers from the cookie jar with the selection of Margus Hunt, as he is exactly the kind of athletic freak of nature that Pete covets and is someone with a little coaching who can potentially be that dominant presence there once Abraham and Clemons are gone.

3rd Round ...
In Matt Scott, the Seahawks get a QB whose skillset fits their system a little better than Matt Flynn’s and is a little friendlier on their cap. As he was rising up draft boards, he wouldn’t have lasted much longer. Off field concerns cause Da’Rick Rogers’ stock to fall on draft day … and Pete Carroll says, “Thank you very much” at #87. With his size and speed, Rogers looks the part of a Hakeem Nicks/Julio Jones clone. Rogers is a guy that has Pete Carroll written all over him. Carroll once again runs where others fear to tread.

4th Round ...
John Schneider and Pete Carroll can’t help being like giddy school girls after their fortunes in the 4th Round. Last season, Seattle brought in Kellen Winslow with the idea of pairing him with Zack Miller at that Joker TE spot. Now here at the top of the 4th Round, they are able to pluck Jordan Reed out of Florida to help fill that role. They will be eager to see if those comparisons to Aaron Hernandez can truly come to fruition. Two picks later, Montori Hughes is the guy at #105 – the pick they obtained from Cleveland. Once again, Carroll and Schneider take a chance on who was once dismissed from Tennessee. With a powerful body and an ability to collapse the pocket back in to the QB, Hughes is a steal here. To close out the 4th Round, the Hawks next tab CB Terry Hawthrorne, whose stock looks to be on the rise after his performance in the East-West Shrine game. A 6’0” 195 pound corner with 4.4 speed, excellent backpedal, and good hip swivel for a corner his size, he looks ideally suited for that nickel corner role.

7th Round ...
At the top of the 7th Round, Schneider throws down what could be an ace in the hole in WR Courtney Gardner out of Sierra College. With freakish size and insane speed, Gardner could be exactly the kind of player that the Hawks would earmark with an eye towards a potential special teams standout, an electric kick/punt returner, and (given a couple of years) that eventual downfield threat that makes CB’s back off. Alex Hurst has the ideal size, strength, and arm length to play Right Tackle. He definitely has his weaknesses, but is very much the kind of road grater that Tom Cable likes. Lastly, Schneider and company reach down to pluck a small school RB in Rayon Simmons out of Winona State. Though a short back, Simmons is a short, powerful 1 cut RB with 4.67 speed who hits the hole quickly, has good change of direction ability, and can avoid and break tackles. Is the kind of diamond in the rough kind of player that you take a chance on at this point in the draft. When all is said and done, Schneider and Carroll have to see the team doctor after High Fiving and Chest Bumping for a solid hour.

How’s all that treat you?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Don't like the trade at all. I'd rather stay where we're at and take Austin ourselves who I think would upgrade our team more then anybody else you've drafted.

If it were somebody else i might go for that trade but Austin is one of the 2 or 3 guys i'd want to trade UP for in this draft.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
I really like the out of the box thinking on the trades. I could easily see the FO trying to do something like this. I don't know much about the actual picks although for whatever reason I would rather see actual picks like:

2(39) – DT Kawaan Short , alternate pick Datone Jones
2(56) – WR Deandre Hopkins, alternate picks Robert Woods, Steadman Bailey, Ryan Swope
3(72) – DE Corey Lemonier, alternate picks DE Tank Carradine, Jamie Collins
3(87) -- QB Matt Scott
4(103) – OT Jordan Mills, Alternate Pick Brian Schwenke
4(105) – WR/RB/ST Denard Robinson, Alternate pick TE Chris Gragg
4(122) – S/OLB TJ McDonald
7(200) -- WR Marques Wilson
7(206) – A 2nd offensive lineman
7(217) – TE Joseph Fauria

39) I think the biggest need on this team is improving the pass rush from the 3T position. Kawaan Short or Jones are guys who look like they can help there.
56) I would like to see another playmaker on the offensive side of the ball. There are a ton of solid receivers and maybe they wait till later?
72) While I am willing to give Irvin some more time I am not willing to take the gamble that he will be ready to be a full time LEO with Clemons out for the start of the season. Any of the guys I picked here should push for that spot.
87) Since in your scenario we traded Flynn we need to draft a QB somewhere. Scott could be a very solid backup for a long time that can run the zone read.
103) I think we need another lineman whether it be a RT or Guard.
105) I think denard is just so dynamic and could be Leon's replacement in the future. A joker TE would be another solid option here to give Russell another weapon.
122) I posted in another thread but I think McDonald could fit perfect as the WLB of the future or as a backup safety to Kam.
200) Wilson is a boom/bust pick and we have that luxury with 7th round picks.
206) A huge upside project that starts on the PS would be nicce here.
217) If we dont' get a TE earlier in the draft I like Joseph's potential and red zone threat.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I cant see the Jets putting that much money into one position when both equate to back ups. Plus I reckon he is smarter than to barter with someone he knows is slicker than he is.

kearly

Reaction score
You know what's really crazy? I think Matt Scott in the early 3rd was my favorite pick you made. I should probably seek counseling.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
JSeahawks":223sg0zu said:
Don't like the trade at all. I'd rather stay where we're at and take Austin ourselves who I think would upgrade our team more then anybody else you've drafted.

If it were somebody else i might go for that trade but Austin is one of the 2 or 3 guys i'd want to trade UP for in this draft.

So let me get this straight here J ... you'd much rather have Tavon Austin than ...

Khaseem Greene (or Kawann Short if you prefer) AND Da'Rick Rogers (or Ryan Swope. I debated long and hard over that one). So in your mind, 1 Tavon Austin is better than 2 potential impact players at positions of need?

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":18968962 said:
I cant see the Jets putting that much money into one position when both equate to back ups. Plus I reckon he is smarter than to barter with someone he knows is slicker than he is.

Some quick thoughts on that:

1) In this scenario, the top 2 QB's are already off the board ... and the 3rd (E.J. Manuel) likely would be by the time the Jets draft again in the 2nd Round.

2) Desperation speaks loudly ... and the Jets are certainly in desperate straits when it comes to the QB position.

3) I personally don't buy in to the notion that Matt Flynn IS a backup -- an average NFL starter yes ... but a back-up, no.

4) Teams historically have ALWAYS overpaid at the QB position -- especially on draft day.

Edit to add: And as far as the Jets Cap is concerned, I think you're forgetting for a second what Idzik used to do. A good cap-ologist can figure out how to reduce many potential cap issues.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":51aa5nie said:
JSeahawks":51aa5nie said:

So let me get this straight here J ... you'd much rather have Tavon Austin than ...

Khaseem Greene (or Kawann Short if you prefer) AND Da'Rick Rogers (or Ryan Swope. I debated long and hard over that one). So in your mind, 1 Tavon Austin is better than 2 potential impact players at positions of need?

We dont have enough needs that I feel we need to trade down for more. I think we can fill our needs just fine with free agency and the picks we have. But to answer your question, yes i'd rather have Austin then those two.

I also dont think Matt Scott is anything more then a 3rd string developmental QB, So if we dont have a better option then him backing up Wilson i'd rather just keep Flynn.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":2dxt62al said:
You know what's really crazy? I think Matt Scott in the early 3rd was my favorite pick you made. I should probably seek counseling.

Perhaps a lot of us need counseling (me included at times) if we think that a lot of the bonanza haul projections that I've seen are anywhere close to realistic. Do we honestly think that all of those prospects will really be available to the Seahawks in those spots? If we're noticing these guys, so are other teams. You know, there's a part of me that thought about joining the I-502 crowd ... but I resisted the urge to commit myself involuntarily for 72 hours ... and instead tried put together what I thought could be a more realistic scenario.

I started by asking myself, "If the Seahawks were to trade DOWN from #25 ... and use some of those later round picks to trade UP, what might that look like?" Several of us have agreed that scenario is a real possibility, so I tried to target players that I honestly felt met needs AND that I felt honestly would be there in the given slots.

Now again -- I want to stress that in this instance here, the Seahawks went in to the draft having already signed John Abraham and Desmond Bryant. So, defensive line has already been somewhat addressed -- keep that in mind.

At both #39 and #56, I was tempted to go with Corey Lemonier. The problem is that the latest projections have him possibly as a 1st Round Pick. If he's there at those spots, you bet. Otherwise, a guy like a Margus Hunt I believe could be highly tempting to the Hawks given his size and raw physical tools.

That same exact logic is the reason that I have Scott there at #72 (there is a strong possibility he won't last longer than that).

As far as Khaseem Greene is concerned, I'm wondering if we're getting a little caught up on his perceived lack of speed. He's a guy from what I've seen plays beyond his measureables -- he appears to have good instincts and diagnoses plays quickly. That right there can make up for .2 of a second easily. If Lofa Tatupu taught us anything ... it's not to get too hung up on 40 time. Aaron Curry had all of the measurables and physical talent in the world. Who was the better LB? I also like that Greene played safety -- that's a real bonus in my book. Zaviar Gooden and Sio Moore certainly to me would be considerations as well later on ... but both appear to have their warts as well (for Moore it's size and Gooden it's just that he's still fairly raw in coverage).

As far as Da'Rick Rogers is concerned, I mentioned above I debated long and hard over him vs. going with Ryan Swope at #87. Part of my thinking there was frankly the sheer size of Rogers and his excellent speed for that size. And that brought me to the 49ers. The Seahawks receivers have to go up against physical, in your face CB's in the Niners who excel at bump and run coverage. Rogers is a guy whom I could view as a real boon in going up against teams with big cover corners -- he'd be a nightmare when paired with Rice. Swope was certainly a consideration (and I really like him as well) ... I just really felt that Rogers' unique skillset doesn't come along that often (especially that late in the draft) ... and also feel that Golden Tate could also project well to the slot.

Regarding Jordan Reed -- I know that he's not 6'5" (the ideal size) ... but it's not like he's a shrimp at 6'3". Heck, Kellen Winslow was 6'4" and this guy's only 1 inch shorter. Here again, I think the tape tells the tale. Reed is a guy who has shown the ability to make guys miss in the open field (something the other TE's in this class really don't have). His 4.71 (40) is just a tick slower than Eifert -- the top rated TE in this class. He's a guy I'd be intrigued by for that Joker TE spot if he's still there in the 4th Round (and I believe he will be).

Montori Hughes -- he also appears to be moving up draft boards as well. I'd say 4th or 5th Round is about right for him to go in. Getting a guy who can collapse the pocket and play the run as well as he can at that spot? Can't believe anyone would quibble about that.

Terry Hawthorne -- he seems to me to fit that mold of the big, fast corner that Carroll and company like. Now, could there be a better fit for that nickel CB further down the board? I know that in your dream mock you pegged David Amerson in the 6th Round. Sounds great to me as well. Problem with that is ... is that I don't see any way he lasts that long. If we believe Rob Rang and the guys over at NFLDraftScout.com ... he's a 2nd Round Pick (he's #6 on their list of CB's).

As far as the 7th Rounders are concerned, I would say those are the kinds of prospects that you draft there -- guys with tools that intrigue ... but whom all have flaws of one sort or another.

I dunno, just my attempt to put together what I believe could be a realistic Trade Down scenario.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'm hoping for Quinterius Smith in the later rounds if I'm going with a developmental pick for DE. I don't like Margus Hunt at all - I don't think he's got the instincts needed to succeed unless you're hoping to teach them to him in 3 years.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd be jacked if we got reed in the 4th. His draft stock might be 4th round value but his play will be worth a 2nd. Green is also a slight reach in draft value but he's a great fit and I wouldn't be upset if we used a 1st on him.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
JSeahawks":46cmsdae said:

Well, this is even better. We got already proven version of Austin.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Well you were close as in we don't have a 1st round pick, if we can get a 2nd for Flynn then you could be really close. I think LB in the 2nd might be a good target now that we got a start WR