Heard A Rumor...

Basis4day

Reaction score
seahawksny":1y49itm9 said:
FlyingGreg":1y49itm9 said:
That would mean ditching the wolf gray uniform...

Can't see that happening, but I wish!

No- they get two games to wear alternate as far as i know, so they will wear the grey once on road if they wear the alternate blue at home.

Incorrect. Each team is allowed one alternate third jersey that they can wear twice in the regular season. Color rush was an exception, as it was a league wide promotion.

Absent an exemption from the league, our current alternate is the wolf grey.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Basis4day":tg7jbxxo said:
seahawksny":tg7jbxxo said:
FlyingGreg":tg7jbxxo said:

No- they get two games to wear alternate as far as i know, so they will wear the grey once on road if they wear the alternate blue at home.

Incorrect. Each team is allowed one alternate third jersey that they can wear twice in the regular season. Color rush was an exception, as it was a league wide promotion.

Got it
So if they wear the retro blue, then the wolf grey is out?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
When the NFL switched their uniform to Nike and the Seahawks became the first team to undergo a major aesthetic face lift, then team president Peter McLoughlin spoke openly about plans to include a throwback uniform. In fact his exact words at the time were “we’re talking about a throwback for sure.”

So what happened?

Most likely the whole idea was crushed by a combination of new NFL rules and a fan vote that went a different way.

Back in 2002, in the midst of their first big uniform style change, the Seahawks put it to a fan vote. Stay with the grey/silver helmet color or go dark blue? By voting in favor of blue, fans may have unknowingly prevented the team from ever going to a throwback. In 2013, the NFL clarified a rule on alternate uniforms, no matter what teams chose to do with the twice-yearly alternates they’re allowed to play with, helmets could not change. It was a safety issue, they said. They didn’t want players changing out helmets that they had custom fitted and felt comfortable (and safe) in. You can change out the decals, but not the helmet itself.

Effectively, this ended any hope of the Seahawks using a full throwback. Sure, they could choose to wear the old silver pants and classic jersey, but it would clash horribly with the darker blue of the current helmets.

Maybe McLoughlin wasn’t aware of this limitation when he made those comments five years ago, or perhaps he thought there was some leeway. There wasn’t.

Whatever the case, what we got was the far-too-subtle-to-really-make-a-difference Wolf Grey pants and jersey, and the expansion era uni style will likely stay locked away forever.

https://12thmanrising.com/2016/05/30/wh ... k-uniform/

Basis4day

Reaction score
seahawksny":3u6tj3hr said:
Basis4day":3u6tj3hr said:
seahawksny":3u6tj3hr said:
FlyingGreg":3u6tj3hr said:

Got it

If they became our official alternate, then yes. They could petition the league to wear throwbacks to honor Easley, but it seems pointless without the silver helmets.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Basis4day":36lyou4c said:
seahawksny":36lyou4c said:
Basis4day":36lyou4c said:
seahawksny":36lyou4c said:

Got it

If they became our official alternate, then yes. They could petition the league to wear throwbacks to honor Easley, but it seems pointless without the silver helmets.

So why does new England wear the old white helmets on occasion

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The NFL was cool with throwback jerseys and different color helmets until the fall of 2013, when the rule about helmet colors suddenly became a safety issue.

Since then, no team has altered their helmet color.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
If teams want a different helmet color for one week, why not just repaint the helmets, and then paint them back to the original color the week after that?

Modern helmet paints take too long to dry and cure. The helmets wouldn’t be ready in time, and the players wouldn’t be able to use them for midweek practices.

Why not wrap the helmets in colored vinyl? I’ve seen that done with cars, and it looks great!

Full-cover wraps are impractical and unsafe, because they make it hard to see if a helmet has been damaged.

Trust me, if there were an easy solution, they would have done it by now. Most equipment managers, who know a lot more about helmets than you or I, want to solve this problem, and I can assure you that they’ve gone through all of the obvious (and many not-so-obvious) approaches to it. If they haven’t come up with a solution, it’s because no good solution is available, at least for now.

With all the advances in helmet technology that we keep hearing about, is there a chance that the NFL might drop the rule?

Sure. But as of September of 2016, the league was still holding firm regarding the rule.

Didn’t a team recently try to get the rule changed?

Yes. At the owners’ meetings that took place in Phoenix in March of 2017, the Eagles proposed a rule change to allow teams to have an alternate helmet, which would have effectively killed the one-shell rule. But they later withdrew the proposal after team owner Jeffrey Lurie was told that it didn’t have enough support to pass.

https://uni-watch.com/an-faq-for-the-nfls-helmet-rule/

fenderbender123

Reaction score
How about we just permanently switch back to the old uniforms? I think it's time...

Basis4day

Reaction score

Hawks46

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2bxcyi07 said:
A different base color on the helmets should not be an issue. I just dont understand the NFL's reasoning here.

They have tons of the same brand/version/size helmets available for the players. They can't have 2, a different color each?

Makes zero sense. Like Steve2222 said, colleges do it all the time. You even see players swap out helmets during games when the helmet gets damaged....

:Dunno:

Add to all this that if the NFL were to allow alternate helmets, they'd probably see *gasp* more merchandise sales

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought I recall somewhere that Paul Allen does not like the throwbacks and that was the main reason we haven't seen them in the modern era.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":2iqezbpu said:
I thought I recall somewhere that Paul Allen does not like the throwbacks and that was the main reason we haven't seen them in the modern era.

I've heard the same thing...I also hear a similar rumor every year that THIS YEAR WILL BE DIFFERENT. It has never panned out, but I suppose if people keep creating the rumor enough times, maybe enough buzz will get back to Allen to change his mind.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's weird because Paul is a Pacific Northwest native, deeply entrenched in the region's history and does a lot of great things to preserve and restore where applicable. I find it hard to believe someone from here wouldn't find the value and sentiment in celebrating the iconic look the Seahawks had all those years before the 21st century. There must be more to the story. Even if it turns out true that he - for whatever reason - doesn't vibe with the royal blue and silver, I would think someone with his business acumen would see the value in the occasional throwback game.

Greenhell

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1oidugt0 said:
TeamoftheCentury":1oidugt0 said:
Pittsburgh wears an alternate color helmet each season. It's Pittspuke yellow.

??????

Yeah, but... Did you know that Jerome Bettis was born in Detroit?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just wish I knew were Bettis was from! 8)

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Aros":c7qubcqb said:
It's weird because Paul is a Pacific Northwest native, deeply entrenched in the region's history and does a lot of great things to preserve and restore where applicable. I find it hard to believe someone from here wouldn't find the value and sentiment in celebrating the iconic look the Seahawks had all those years before the 21st century. There must be more to the story. Even if it turns out true that he - for whatever reason - doesn't vibe with the royal blue and silver, I would think someone with his business acumen would see the value in the occasional throwback game.

Aros, it may be that he has some concerns with the Native American artwork. I do know that at one point there were some locals who were unhappy that the Seahawks, a big time NFL team, with a Native American logo, weren't doing enough for the local tribes.

It is entirely possible that he's being very very true to his Pacific Northwest roots... in that on some level he thinks it was inappropriate for that logo to be used by the team.

Wild conjecture? Sure, but one could love the logo and the history of the team and still believe that the right move is to be using a new more modern logo and retiring the old "totem" style logo.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Greenhell":16bnlnvb said:
GeekHawk":16bnlnvb said:
TeamoftheCentury":16bnlnvb said:
Pittsburgh wears an alternate color helmet each season. It's Pittspuke yellow.

??????

Yeah, but... Did you know that Jerome Bettis was born in Detroit?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I should have known better than to enter a thread so trivial. Smart asses. ;) Let the games begin.