Hearing a lot about the Defense

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
Yes but what was the excuse for the defense on the drives in first half.

Same as usual could not get off the field. 7/9 on 3rd down in first half

Because they couldn't get pressure on Stafford and they were mauled the entire game

Scout

Reaction score
That deep throw might have been audible on the line but yeah you feed Walker when you have two starting OTs out and Walker is averaging over 4.0 YPC.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The O line got whipped. Geno looked confused.

It was an all around failure.

The D not getting off the field on 3rd down was my biggest complaint from this game. As well as giving up 120 receiving yards to some guy named Puke

White Devil

Reaction score
Watching as many games as I could today, I will say that I noticed offenses were overall looking a bit behind which is normal after not really playing in the preseason much.

But the problem even in the first half was that the D couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.

The offense completely collapsed in the 2nd half. Losing both starting tackles didn't help. And the defense made absolutely no adjustments and still couldn't get off the field on 3rd down in the 2nd half.

It was a complete disaster.

It's week 1 though, and it's a long, long season.

Next week they could get every break they didn't get this week. They'll need it, but that's why they play the game!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Things are rarely as good as you hope or bad as you fear.

This game is likely a nadir.

I doubt we will ever be this bad.
The Rams own us. It's a 1st game of the season. Lots of fluke type of issues tied to this game...including half our starting OL going on with injury.

But the defense being bad isn't a fluke. Giving up 6-7 yds a carry against 2nd and 3rd tier backs, terrible LB and safety play, and the rest will probably happen the rest of year.
(I don't expect the corners to ever be this bad again though.)

We aren't going to be good either, regardless. But everything being terrible in one game like this one probably isn't going to happen again. This gets to go down as one of the worst games ever played any team wearing a Seahawk uniform.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
This team is SOFT. On both sides of the ball, we don't scare anyone. That means mediocrity is your ceiling.

hawks85

Reaction score
Let’s be real though. Our offense fell apart in the second half. 3 yards of offense. No defense can help you win with that kind of offensive play.

Don’t get me wrong, our defense needs work but today the offense shit the bed.
More like Geno shit the bed

hawks85

Reaction score
Top to bottom this is one of the worst Seahawk games I can remember. Offense certainly fell apart, I won't give them any excuses, both OT going out is never easy but you should be able to convert something. I just knew that series before half where Waldron called back to back tempo runs to Dallas was going to cost them. 3 TO's, could have bled the clock and scheme something up. Instead they almost give up a field goal before half and from that point on nothing went right.

Regardless - this might be the worst defense in the NFL. It's been that way for years and today was some of the softest garbage I can remember having the misfortune of watching. There isn't one guy out there. Not once when they needed a stop did someone step up. Rams were like 10000/10004 on third down, throwing to a bunch of no names, all over the middle, wide open. Maybe when Adams and Spoon come back they can bring some intensity because sure as hell don't have anyone at the moment. Brown and Bryant shouldn't play another down this year besides random dime looks or special teams. Hurtt should never have been given keys to the DC job and sure as hell shouldn't have kept his job last year.
I've said this a thousand times already. Get Rex Ryan as our DC.

mikeak

Reaction score
None of what you said precludes Norton being trash though.

Hurtt, as I predicted last season is worse though.
Agreed because we haven't had an NFL worthy pass rush for over five years. PC keeps thinking that adding cornerbacks will fix it.

Need pass rush from somewhere or Goff carves us up next week

bileever

Reaction score
Rams played like they had nothing to lose. They flew around on defense and executed out of their minds on offense. Stafford played like the superstar he is. The problem is that Puka Nacua played like he was Cooper Kupp.

Seahawks were tight and timid, when they should have been loose and bold. And they weren't helped by their schemes on defense or offense.

In the NFL, it often comes down to who wants it more. Seahawks didn't seem to want it today.

But look, it's only one game, and maybe it's good this happened in the first game. It's a team-wide wake-up call.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Yes but what was the excuse for the defense on the drives in first half.

Same as usual could not get off the field. 7/9 on 3rd down in first half

I’m pretty sure I said the defense had issues but the offense was the biggest problem today. We had the lead at halftime. We had 12 yards of offense in the second half(9 coming on the final garbage time play of the game). The offense just can’t play like that and expect to win.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Yeah even Sanchez pointed that out. Why no slant to DK? Waldron didn't have his best day today. 3 yards in the second half... damn.
Yeah, Sanchez had a point on that and others.

Waldren, agree.

Boo-birds were out today.

cymatica

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I said the defense had issues but the offense was the biggest problem today. We had the lead at halftime. We had 12 yards of offense in the second half(9 coming on the final garbage time play of the game). The offense just can’t play like that and expect to win.
This

Defense was bad on 3rd down but played good enough to win. Offense completely fell apart. Didn't adjust at all after tackles went out. It's like they can't game plan effectively against the Rams, like we barely get a handful of plays off while the Rams make it look easy to sustain drives, they always have plays that put open players in the predictable Pete zone scheme

Latest posts