Hello from a Falcon fan!

sc85sis

Reaction score
hawknation2015":pjhklnqb said:
Gus Bradley's defense? LOL.

This is Pete Carroll's defense, which is really a variation of Monte Kiffin's defense at North Carolina State in 1980.

Truthfully, I can't predict how Quinn will do as a HC. Most of the position coaches are Pete Carroll lifers (i.e. Ken Norton, Rocky Seto, and Kris Richard). DL Coach Travis Jones and Defensive Assistant Marquand Manuel are the only "Quinn guys" on the staff. They might be willing to leave the Seahawks for a promotion, making Jones the DC and Manuel your secondary coach.

Atlanta was probably the most desirable opportunity for Quinn, given you already have a franchise QB, have plenty of room for improvement on defense, and play in the league's weakest division. I wish him luck.

There's some George Seifert in this D tool. Pete got the Elephant/Leo stuff from George and quite possibly some other concepts as well. And of course, Pete has put his own spin on things, as did Gus and now Dan.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
endzorn":1e857iuy said:
I know people think Bradley sucked, but he ran a defense that was number one in points allowed and had less talent and considerably less experience from his stars. Quinn is great, but as a designer of defense and a play-caller he's virtually the same dude as Bradley.
I never thought he sucked, I just hated the soft zone late in games aspect SPECIFICALLY, and the overall lack of it that we play with under Quinn comparatively has been beautiful.

endzorn

Reaction score
The difference being that Quinn calls the same plays, but we have the horses up front to force quicker decisions. Bradley had Clem and Irvin when Bruce would flash once a game and then be invisible as a rookie moving form a severely undersized DT in West Virginia to rush end. Our front four rushers didn't get near the pressure we get now. Bradley coaching this talent would likely get the same results.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Debatable, Endzorn. Bradley had the advantage of the Legion of Boom before anybody knew them as such. Opposing offenses are more careful throwing against us now than they were in 2011 and 2012. There are more differences than just the pass rush. Also, remember what position Bradley had Mebane playing at that Quinn changed? :)

jake206

Reaction score
Hi Falcons fan,

Quinn is a good coach. More innovative than Bradley. I'd be curious how he incorporates Kyle Shanahan. But the defense should be stout. He's also a pretty good evaluator of talent, IMO. Just hope he doesn't take took much of our staff with him. Best of luck, next season.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Bradley is a product of Pete Carroll's defense, Quinn is a product of Pete Carroll's defense. Pete Carroll had the same great defenses at USC and even made the worst coordinator of all time look great, Nick Holt. Pete is the DC, he will bring in another guy to run his defense.

Not saying that Quinn isn't good or won't succeed, but I will say, we don't know.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Product of Gus Bradley? Hardly. Gus took this teams defense to elite status and sustained it despite injuries.

Edit.

While PC built this team from the ground up, I have to believe he lets his coaches work their own magic; I don't think it is as much PC as we all think but that's my opinion. I think PC puts the right pieces in place (ie signs the right personnel for the scheme and most likely has a say or two because he is the head coach after all).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
As mentioned above, Nick Holt is definitely the cautionary tale. Went from the "best" D-coordinator in CFB to literally the worst in about a year or two after leaving Pete. He seemed to have all the right intangibles. But when it came down to it, the dude brought nothing to the table once taken out of the USC system. Gus is sort of teetering into Holt territory; Year 3 will be big for him.

Quinn's history is more encouraging, especially his development of individual DL players, his rep in the building, and his success at Florida. But again, I don't think his success as HC will depend much on his competence as a scheme guy. I'm a big believer in culture over scheme in regard to most HCs.

Latest posts