Herschel Walker says he could play in the NFL at 53

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I remember this guy when I was a kid. Seemed like he was overly famous for some reason...overrated and overhyped? Because I don't recall him ever amounting to much in the NFL at all yet he was talked about a lot and lots of kids at the playground knew him too.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":32egncqs said:
I remember this guy when I was a kid. Seemed like he was overly famous for some reason...overrated and overhyped? Because I don't recall him ever amounting to much in the NFL at all yet he was talked about a lot and lots of kids at the playground knew him too.

Didn't they name a sea lion after him here locally in the '80's? Like, a pest sea lion that was hanging out at the Ballard locks and wiped out an entire run of steelhead?

Oh, and Dan Quinn seems to be calling Walker out (nicely): http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-says-falcons-have-room-for-herschel-walker/

peppersjap

Reaction score
Maulbert":3cw2zlu3 said:
CPHawk":3cw2zlu3 said:
He wasn't even very good in his prime, one 1500 season and one 1000 yard season, he couldn't even be productive in the cfl now.

He also ran for 1812, 1339, and 2411 in 3 seasons in the USFL.
If he had that kind of production in the USFL it must be obvious he would still be a star. The league was a joke led by Donald Trump. Herschel is in fantastic shape but no way he could run anywhere close too that, not sure he could do that when he was 20. He was a solid NFL RB but not elite. I hated Bryan Walters returning punts but would much rather have him back than a 50 something Herschel Walker doing it.

Maulbert

Reaction score
peppersjap":30867wj4 said:
Maulbert":30867wj4 said:
CPHawk":30867wj4 said:
He wasn't even very good in his prime, one 1500 season and one 1000 yard season, he couldn't even be productive in the cfl now.

He also ran for 1812, 1339, and 2411 in 3 seasons in the USFL.
If he had that kind of production in the USFL it must be obvious he would still be a star. The league was a joke led by Donald Trump. Herschel is in fantastic shape but no way he could run anywhere close too that, not sure he could do that when he was 20. He was a solid NFL RB but not elite. I hated Bryan Walters returning punts but would much rather have him back than a 50 something Herschel Walker doing it.

All I was saying is that he burned through 1200 carries before he got to the NFL, and the USFL had more NFL talent than the CFL. Plus, he was good on a terrible Cowboys team in the 1980s. That doesn't mean I think we should sign him. He'd probably break a hip the first time he got tackled. I just don't think he was mediocre when he played. Don't put words in my mouth. :141847_bnono:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
His fame comes from his outstanding college career (one of the best ever), and the blockbuster trade the Cowboys pulled off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

This should probably go down as the greatest trade in NFL history. Cowboys don't win superbowls in the 90s without this trade.

About his current situation - I believe it. Someone pointed out that he overestimates his bone density, and that's probably true - he would feel a hit more than the average player. But he is in better shape now than he EVER was, at any point in his life. And he was good enough at one point to be a top NFL draft pick.

netskier

Reaction score
He could take a lot of vitamin K2 to maximize his bone density. Muscle growth stimulates bone growth. He might be slow but he won't have weak bones if he has muscles.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
netskier":12s63k6p said:
He could take a lot of vitamin K2 to maximize his bone density. Muscle growth stimulates bone growth. He might be slow but he won't have weak bones if he has muscles.

For an athlete to maintain bone density and connective tissue strength (tendons/ligaments), they need proper stimulus. Like squats and deadlifts. Vitamin supplementation is working the margins.

And there are plenty of people who have huge muscles with low bone density and connective tissue strength because they do nothing but isolation movements.

Walker is old. He could be stronger than when he was playing if he's been focusing on strength for all these years, but his power production has fallen remarkably and that's what makes you fast/quick. His bones and connective tissue couldn't handle getting blasted by a 25 year old NFL linebacker.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I'm sure he could play ONE GAME, but I doubt he would be able to recover in time for game two or maybe even game three. Getting old sucks and we don't recover as quickly.

netskier

Reaction score
I agree with all those points, but I did not read anyone asserting that he would have weak bones.

garrylt4

Reaction score
I don't care if he ran a 3.9 in his prime. He isn't running a 4.3 now.

titan3131

Reaction score
he is shredded though look out.

herschel-walker-strikeforce.jpg

netskier

Reaction score
There is no way that body has weak bones. Slow bones possibly, but weak, no way.

Smellyman

Reaction score
He was a fast bad man. However not the most fluid RB. Obviously couldn't play now. Bobby Wagner would give him a rude welcome.

He ran a 10.10 100 meters. That is blazing fast.

Then there is this. :)

[youtube]WooPp3UVCp8[/youtube]

Latest posts