Hockey question.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I’ve got a friend that’s a Blues fan.

He claims the expansion draft in hockey is effed up, and it appears that he’s pissed that his team lost two star players to Seattle.

Is the expansion draft messed up?
Does it give an unfair advantage to expansion teams, it it unfair to existing teams?

Pardon my ignorance please.

Redhawk454

Reaction score
I don’t know.. blues fans have been whining like insects since the postseason last year..

I’m not familiar with how the drafting works in the nhl

Msfann

Reaction score
I think they do make things a bit sweet for the expansion teams, Vegas got it way better though and the league learned from that and adjusted a bit when it was our turn.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I guess the answer to the question matters on perspective.
I think it favored Vegas a lot, and Seattle to a lesser extent quite a bit. As a league the better you’re newer teams are the stronger your league is.

If your buddy the St Louis is mad about Seattle taking 2 good players thru the expansion draft then they should have given Seattle draft picks so they won’t take “said player”. He should be mad at his own franchise.

Seattle’s GM Francis LIKES to collect draft picks, but many GM’s felt burnt from the Vegas expansion draft and were overly cautious of that.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
I guess the answer to the question matters on perspective.
I think it favored Vegas a lot, and Seattle to a lesser extent quite a bit. As a league the better you’re newer teams are the stronger your league is.

If your buddy the St Louis is mad about Seattle taking 2 good players thru the expansion draft then they should have given Seattle draft picks so they won’t take “said player”. He should be mad at his own franchise.

Seattle’s GM Francis LIKES to collect draft picks, but many GM’s felt burnt from the Vegas expansion draft and were overly cautious of that.
Appreciate the response but I’m 100% ignorant on the topic.
Have no clue how the hockey expansion draft works.

Wasn’t aware that a team could give up future picks to avoid current players being snagged.

Rainger

Reaction score
I’ve got a friend that’s a Blues fan.

He claims the expansion draft in hockey is effed up, and it appears that he’s pissed that his team lost two star players to Seattle.

Is the expansion draft messed up?
Does it give an unfair advantage to expansion teams, it it unfair to existing teams?

Pardon my ignorance please.
No and No. If you look at Seattle they only won 27 games coming out of the expansion draft.

This year is because of the off season moves. Many of the expansion draft players are now gone.

As for losing players the teams lose who they are willing to lose.

The Vegas Draft is an outlier. Vegas used the draft to make a bunch of trades from the guys they were getting and a bunch of stupid GM's played right into their hands. That wont happen again and it didnt happen for Seattle last year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Appreciate the response but I’m 100% ignorant on the topic.
Have no clue how the hockey expansion draft works.

Wasn’t aware that a team could give up future picks to avoid current players being snagged.
Yep, there is some legal horse trading going on, that’s how Vegas was able to make trades from the expansion draft pick compensation to acquire quality veteran players and how they got good in their first year.

Vegas played many NHL a teams like a fiddle in their expansion draft. Seattle tried the same thing but teams said “go ahead and take said player” we won’t give you draft picks to not take him. Seattle said OK, and did. It paid off for Seattle just took a year longer to materialize.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
They closed a lot of the loops that Vegas used to get so good so fast. Being the first expansion draft in the current cap era they did a lot of smart things to take advantage of teams needing to load bad contracts.
There wasn't a lot of talk about the Kracken taking advantage like that after their draft.

In short, I don't think your Blues fan friend has much of a case.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
They closed a lot of the loops that Vegas used to get so good so fast. Being the first expansion draft in the current cap era they did a lot of smart things to take advantage of teams needing to load bad contracts.
There wasn't a lot of talk about the Kracken taking advantage like that after their draft.

In short, I don't think your Blues fan friend has much of a case.
I’m not sure that he so much thinks he believes he as case, I think he’s just a typical sports fan that gets hung up on silly stuff to justify his emotions.

I do it, I think most sports fans do it if they actually have a passion.

I do have a better understanding of what he was complaining about now, thanks to those that responded here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would simply ask your friend how he'd do an expansion draft if he's so angry about how the NHL does it.

Every league that expands does some sort of expansion draft where teams are allowed to protect the players they want to keep, and don't protect the players they deem expendable. Or at least not AS important.

NBA, MLS, even the NFL did an expansion draft when the Texans came into the league.

It's actually a great way for teams in leagues with a hard cap like the NHL to try to dump bad contracts. Or contracts they can't fit under their cap anymore.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
To be fair this seasons roster looks much different than last years. Their expansion draft had minimal impact on this seasons playoff run. I feel the additions this year were the driving factor. Only 10 of the 30 expansion picks are with the team now, excluding Dreidger and Daccord.
From what I’ve read the Kraken had some of the same opportunities as LV but decided not to take on big contracts in lieu of keep cap flexibility and roster flexibility.

The cap space allowed them to sign UFA Grubauer last year and several key additions this year(Bjorkstrand, Tolvanen and Burakovsky). With the draft rule changes I think Francis played it perfectly and set this team up for continuing success. They have a grip of young players in the system that had fantastic seasons. Those guys will either fortify the Kraken roster or bring in great trade value for years to come.

I even think Hakstol has been a wise pick. As the roster improved he has too. Interesting that this was his first playoff series win. After the rough first season he was on the hot seat, another stinker and I think he would’ve been ousted. This historic win bought him at least one more season, with a little Seattle magic he could become the first Kraken coaching legend.

I Like It…..

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
To be fair this seasons roster looks much different than last years. Their expansion draft had minimal impact on this seasons playoff run. I feel the additions this year were the driving factor. Only 10 of the 30 expansion picks are with the team now, excluding Dreidger and Daccord.
From what I’ve read the Kraken had some of the same opportunities as LV but decided not to take on big contracts in lieu of keep cap flexibility and roster flexibility.

The cap space allowed them to sign UFA Grubauer last year and several key additions this year(Bjorkstrand, Tolvanen and Burakovsky). With the draft rule changes I think Francis played it perfectly and set this team up for continuing success. They have a grip of young players in the system that had fantastic seasons. Those guys will either fortify the Kraken roster or bring in great trade value for years to come.

I even think Hakstol has been a wise pick. As the roster improved he has too. Interesting that this was his first playoff series win. After the rough first season he was on the hot seat, another stinker and I think he would’ve been ousted. This historic win bought him at least one more season, with a little Seattle magic he could become the first Kraken coaching legend.

I Like It…..
Great points. 👍