Hold Out vs Hold In

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
With Duane Brown holding "in", that is, he reported to TC but he's not practicing, is he subject to the fines associated with being a hold out?

Has the club lost its leverage when a players is holding "in"? It doesn't seem right if that's the case.

Might Duane Brown be a trial case? Has anybody else done the same thing and continued to refuse to practice while the club refused to re-negotiate his contract? If so, how did it end?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Back in the Cheney training camp days, Walter Jones would walk onto the practice field in street clothes.
Year after year they would franchise tag him, so he just didn't practice with the team.
I would consider that a "hold in" but it's tough to say.

I'm assuming that they won't fine him until he misses the first week of practice and the week 1 game if it goes that far.

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3m1xvue5 said:
Back in the Cheney training camp days, Walter Jones would walk onto the practice field in street clothes.
Year after year they would franchise tag him, so he just didn't practice with the team.
I would consider that a "hold in" but it's tough to say.

I'm assuming that they won't fine him until he misses the first week of practice and the week 1 game if it goes that far.
IIRC, Walt wasn't under contract while he was avoiding TC. He just refused to sign his franchise tag offer until he was ready to report.

The difference... Duane Brown is under contract... Walt wasn't.

sutz

Reaction score
Under the current CBA, the team can't fine him for "holding in," only for "holding out."

sc85sis

Reaction score
I don’t know that he’d be doing much in practice/preseason even if he weren’t holding in. He’s getting older, and they want to keep him healthy for the season.