"Holdout" news of Earl Thomas

adeltaY

Reaction score
Honestly vin it really sounds like you have something against Earl. You've brought up that he doesn't have a lot of picks, tackles, or PDs to show he isn't HoF caliber or even that great and haven't addressed the article that argues those stats shouldn't be used to judge him give his position. You also haven't addressed the statistical drop-off we saw last year when Earl missed five games, but brought up this years two game sample of Earl missing games to say that the drop-off isn't significant.

He's a six time All-Pro and widely considered the best in the league at his position. Not sure why you dislike the praise he gets so much.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
vin.couve12":17pf1woy said:
Sun tsu, if you know what an under is then call it that instead of make beleive names to make peoplr think Pete invented it.

I know our variances and you are rhe one who broke the 46 down to something static. YOU did that, not me. I elaborated.
I did not say Pete invented the 4-3 under. He learned the 4-3 under from Kiffin. He did, however, add a wrinkle to the traditional 4-3 under when he got to Seattle. The traditional 4-3 under is a one-gap scheme, Pete uses a hybrid front in which some players 1-gap and some 2-gap. The weakness of the traditional 4-3 under is runs to the strong side. By using a larger end and 2-gaping at that position, Pete eliminated that weakness. In Pete's 4-3 under one or two d-linemen are often 2-gaping instead of 1. It is a subtle difference, but important to understanding why I see Pete as a defensive innovator.

I never had any intention to give a detailed breakdown of the 46. I don't know the 46 nearly well enough to talk about it in depth. I was merely commenting that the Seahawks bear front is not the 46. They are two completely different defensive alignments.

Back to the topic of Earl. I don't think that the fact that the Seahawks frequently run cover three necessarily indicates that Earl is not important to the defense. First, even though they run a lot of cover 3, it is still only around half of the defensive snaps. When your argument only applies to half of the defensive snaps, is that really the argument you want to hang your hat on? Second, even if we accept the premise that the role is not the most important role on the defense (which I will agree to), does that mean we should downgrade the talent at that role?

I believe that Earl has played an important role on the team, he is still an elite player at his position, and it will be difficult to replace his impact on a game. In spite of all that, I still think the best decision is to trade him know.

Edit: just looked up the stats - Seahawks ran cover-3 on 54% of snaps in 2016.

chris98251

Reaction score
Earl allows us to do something more unique, however you have to have variables in the event he is not out there and that falls on Pete as the Head Coach and the real DC as far as scheme to make adjustments to, we had to change it up when Irvin left, we adjust if Kam is out, we need to adjust or find a speed guy that has good recognizing skills to be Earls replacement. Pete knows what he needs there and finding that guy and Kams replacement should be a focal point in our player acquisition.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I hope Earl stays. I think he's the best safety in the league.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I think Earl is a great safety but everything he has been doing off the field the last couple of months is totally for him and against the team. I hope they explore what they can get for him in a trade. I was a huge fan of his but now not so much. I enjoyed rooting for a losing team that I respected way more than I enjoy cheering for this team with quite a few players I don't.......and #1 on that list is Michael Bennett!!!!

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
vin.couve12":36nek87p said:
Earls job is not harder than anyone else's. Lololololol. What a joke...

Fact. I would take a young up and comer like Jordan Poyer instead of paying big money for an aging Free Safety.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I'm just an armchair analyst. From my eye-test, I can't ignore what offenses have had taken away since Earl has been here when assessing his value.

I have seen stretches of multiple games, entire seasons even, when opposing offenses simply didn't even try to throw anything to the deep middle. I watch other NFL games, and it seems like it works consistently against many teams. When Earl went out in 2016- the very next play- deep middle pass that went for a TD- the first in recent memory.

Earl's not the only factor, but come on- are we really debating his value? He's a cog- but cogs like him don't exactly grow on trees.

It comes down to what kind of $$ the FO thinks he's worth, and if they can't work out a deal- what they get for him.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Option 1
Resign Earl @ ~$12.5M APY so he can retire a Seahawk.

Option 2
Trade Earl for a mid 1st value, sign a Vet @ ~$3.5 APY, spend pick on BPA or more critical position

Option 3
Trade Earl for a mid 1st value, draft a rookie FS with that pick @ ~$2.7M APY

Option 4
Let Earl Hold out for a few games, do not re-up him. Let him walk in FA next year and receive a 3rd rd comp pick in the 2020 draft. Spend a mid-round pick this year to compete for the soon to be roster opening.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
HEs my favorite seahawk of all time. those that say he isn't great, leave the haterade alone

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Wenhawk":35jwnp3z said:
Option 1

Option 2
Trade Earl for a mid 1st value, sign a Vet @ ~$3.5 APY, spend pick on BPA or more critical position

Option 3

Option 4
Let Earl Hold out for a few games, do not re-up him. Let him walk in FA next year and receive a 3rd rd comp pick in the 2020 draft. Spend a mid-round pick this year to compete for the soon to be roster opening.
That about sums it up. Option 4 is the worst scenario for both the Hawks and Earl. I could see Earl refusing to budge if the team won't sign him to an extension and allowing things to progress to option 4; I can't see JS/PC letting it come down to option 4. Getting higher value for him this year and saving the cap space is far superior to keeping a disgruntled player and getting lower value two years from now.

massari

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1nh6hnki said:
Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4
Option 2 and 3 would be the ones.

I they can't get fair value in a trade and option 4 happens, they could place the franchise tag on him for one or two seasons until he's 30 or 31 and then let him walk.

No way do I sign him for 6 years/$78M like Eric Berry did.

original poster

Reaction score
I think $13.5M APY is the bottom line that gets it done.

I’d be happy to pay him that for 2018 and 2019, but he’s going to want that for another 4-5 years. No thank you.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":25huuf59 said:
vin.couve12":25huuf59 said:
Earls job is not harder than anyone else's. Lololololol. What a joke...

Fact. I would take a young up and comer like Jordan Poyer instead of paying big money for an aging Free Safety.

Lololololol. What a joke...

chris98251

Reaction score
To replace Earl a player would need to have three things, First and foremost high football IQ and think and read quickly, second speed and acceleration, that's probably the easiest to find, CB's have that a lot and Earl played CB as well, third is the ability to finish plays and punish, many CB's don't do this, Having a Linebacker in a Safeties Body with Football smarts and the speed and acceleration is a combo that is needed. Be it a Safety like Thomas a Linebacker playing heavier then normal that has those aspects that can trim down to a natural weight and get faster or a CB that may be shorter but thicker and a hitter.

But the speed and range and football IQ and ability to process that information fast is the biggest key I think then the speed and acceleration and lastly the physicality.

jeremiah

Reaction score
No one player on this defense is irreplaceable. Wagner is a great MLB, and his running mate is very good. You don't keep on top of the league by keeping the core together, you use players to the end of their rookie deals, then replace them except for the great QB. The Belichick model is the ideal. It ain't just because of Brady.

chris98251

Reaction score
jeremiah":3fbdmekg said:
No one player on this defense is irreplaceable. Wagner is a great MLB, and his running mate is very good. You don't keep on top of the league by keeping the core together, you use players to the end of their rookie deals, then replace them except for the great QB. The Belichick model is the ideal. It ain't just because of Brady.

But he sure helps a whole lot and makes other players better.