Home run derby on at 5 pm.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Soto vs Julio for the finale. Two of the biggest young superstars of the game right now. What's interesting is there's been some rumbling recently that these two could be teammates soon.... 🙏😅🙏

Echawks

Reaction score
Soto vs Julio for the finale. Two of the biggest young superstars of the game right now. What's interesting is there's been some rumbling recently that these two could be teammates soon.... 🙏😅🙏

Like I said earlier.. empty that cupboard..

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Only if we can sign him for a long term deal. Not leveraging the future to have a guy for two years. But we should definitely inquire about him.

Julio might be done, extra bonus time might be the difference.

Ruminator

Reaction score
J-Rod needs more endurance conditioning. Remember that tumble between 2nd and 3rd base a few weeks ago?

He'll get there.

Nashville_Hawk

Reaction score
Agree, they need to revamp the way they do this. Soto hit 54 HR and Julio hit 81. Clearly Julio should be the HR king. Hitting 27 more home runs would have tired out anyone. Why was Pujols even in the match. Soto had two awful rounds and barely beat J Rod in the final round.

They should do 8 player 4 rounds and eliminate 2 with fewest hr after each round. Each player carries their hr total each round to accumulate a total hr score. Most hr hit and surviving each round wins the competition. They can still do the bonus time with the farthest hit ball. I know I'm being a homer regarding J Rod, but truth of the matter the more hr and swings have greater impact fatigue on a player during the early rounds. Just my 2 cents.

balakoth

Reaction score
J-Rod needs more endurance conditioning. Remember that tumble between 2nd and 3rd base a few weeks ago?

He'll get there.
Endurance????? he hit 25? more home runs.,.. had to go first every time... had to hit against people who were hitting 20 and 25 etc vs the Albert level?

IM curious.. was this sarcastic or.. should I just hit ignore now

DJrmb

Reaction score
This iteration of the HR derby is better than some of the past ones with "outs" etc. But yeah, Julio got screwed from the beginning having to be in Alonso's bracket (and Seager going back "home") and having to go 1st against everyone he competed against because he was a 6th seed. He didn't get the benefit of stopping each round after beating his competition by 1 HR and resting for the upcoming rounds.

Early HRs should carry over somehow, or at least benefit you going forward. Maybe seed players initially, but then in the next rounds the player with more HRs gets to choose to go 1st or 2nd.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
This iteration of the HR derby is better than some of the past ones with "outs" etc. But yeah, Julio got screwed from the beginning having to be in Alonso's bracket (and Seager going back "home") and having to go 1st against everyone he competed against because he was a 6th seed. He didn't get the benefit of stopping each round after beating his competition by 1 HR and resting for the upcoming rounds.

Early HRs should carry over somehow, or at least benefit you going forward. Maybe seed players initially, but then in the next rounds the player with more HRs gets to choose to go 1st or 2nd.
Maybe carry over the delta between you and the player you beat. That would force those that go second to keep hitting them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Nope. Not for only 2 years. His agent is Scott Borass.
There will be no extension, he wants all of his clients getting to free agency and then a bidding war ensues for his client(s). Love the player, hate his agent.
Hard pass.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
How did they manage to screw up HR derby?
It used to be the most out wins but now seeds?Byes..
How stupid to mess with a simple concept.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The new format is better but still needs work. I like the timer idea rather than the out system where players would be picky and take a few balls before even swinging. But I think it would be better if it wasn't head to head, because the second player is always at a huge advantage. They can pace themselves knowing what they need to hit. If Julio went second, he would have conserved a lot of energy and wouldn't have needed to hit 30+ in his first two rounds.

Either way it was a great showing for him and it was his big introduction. Just curious, but any idea what a ticket for the HR Derby will go for next year? My guess was like $300 for an outfield ticket. I would rather go to that than the actual all star game.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I disagree with the byes and seeds..The Bye is so stupid
So Soto wins with less effort..Nah

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The new format is better but still needs work. I like the timer idea rather than the out system where players would be picky and take a few balls before even swinging. But I think it would be better if it wasn't head to head, because the second player is always at a huge advantage. They can pace themselves knowing what they need to hit. If Julio went second, he would have conserved a lot of energy and wouldn't have needed to hit 30+ in his first two rounds.

Either way it was a great showing for him and it was his big introduction. Just curious, but any idea what a ticket for the HR Derby will go for next year? My guess was like $300 for an outfield ticket. I would rather go to that than the actual all star game.
I went to the Homerun derby when it was here in 2001.
It was a great show. The balls are super juiced.
My ticket was $75 back then, and I only got to go because a buddy had season tix.

balakoth

Reaction score

I'm curious on this too.

balakoth

Reaction score
Looks like tickets to tonight's all star game can be had for 260