Hopefully our Guinness record doesn't fall Monday

OP
OP
M

Microfiber

Reaction score
253hawk":29hsbrn8 said:
Funny though, how they set the record both times fairly late in each game with a respectable lead and 10% more people.
It actually came on the Chiefs 2nd drive of the game according to Mike tirico.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Love how all these guinness record attempts just keep lining the pockets of Vancouver billionaire Jimmy Pattison... lol.

The has to be glad for the GDP or whatever...

Thunderbird

Reaction score
jammerhawk":12xn51sj said:
Hawk_Nation":12xn51sj said:
Meh, who cares. They have almost 10,000 more seats than the Clink, I hope they would be able to make more noise. They can have the certificate, Ill take the Lombardi.

Screw that, let's compete! Seattle has always been loudest and whatever happens us 12s can kick their rears.

That was perfect.

Joey13091

Reaction score
The funny thing is we are loud every game and know when to get loud without being told to do so.

They were prompted when to get loud once again like last year. If we can get told when to get loud I think we could beat it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Why are some Seattle fans so mean about this? Seattle still has great fans, and Seattle is still a tough place to play. What else is there? Why is the concept that another fanbase could be as loud, or louder, worth griping about?

It has never been about a record. It has always been about false starts and delay of game penalties on QBs like Kaepernick. Nothing else matters.

Joey13091

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1n5zgxut said:
Why are some Seattle fans so mean about this? Seattle still has great fans, and Seattle is still a tough place to play. What else is there? Why is the concept that another fanbase could be as loud, or louder, worth griping about?

It has never been about a record. It has always been about false starts and delay of game penalties on QBs like Kaepernick. Nothing else matters.
I agree. I'm not mad at their fans. I'm just stating that I think we could get better than 137.7 or whatever it was last year, if we had a graphic on the screen. So that way everyone knew when they were measuring the dbs.

We've had historic moments such as the beast quake, the romo bobbled snap, and the tip. I'm proud to say I was there to witness all of them.

Anyway, the chiefs do have loud fans and they can be proud to have the their noise record. As other pointed out, we're superbowl champions. Nothing else matters except winning another one this year.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Microfiber":2dkb1dgz said:
MizzouHawkGal":2dkb1dgz said:
NorCalHawk12":2dkb1dgz said:
Well, congratulations to the Chefs fans. Well done, indeed.

Now the question is, do they make noise at the proper time(s) in games...such as during the huddle through the snap and the whistle?
Or do they holler when some jack-wagon from Guinness says "GO!"?

Our noise affects players, plays and games. [Hello, false-starts]...
Theirs, probably not so much. At least I've never heard of such a reputation. Has anyone here heard of the Chefs rep for affecting games? Mizzou?
Back in the 1990's yes but even then ours was more well known. Kansas City is far more known for their tailgate scene.

Arrowhead has actually always been considered the loudest in the NFL, until the last few years when people finally recognized the CLink.

But was not the Kingdome the impetus for Pete Rozelle's infamous "crowd noise" rule, where teams would be penalized 5 yards if their crowd was too loud (as judged by the referees and the opposing QB)?

NINEster

Reaction score
Arrowhead is a loud place. I remember it being unnaturally loud for the preseason game last year vs. SF on the first few plays.

I remember in the mid '90s watching an MNF game where the ref was asking the fans to quiet down otherwise the Chiefs would get a penalty.

It is absolutely for real, but at the same time nothing has been as consistent as the challenge of playing at Century Link for opposing teams.

I have a different take on this sound thing. It's quite possible that outright SPL isn't everything, but maybe the SPL at certain frequencies might matter more. It would be interesting to take an RTA (Real Time Analyzer) like one used to EQ sound systems and see what the curve looks like at both of these stadiums. My guess is the curve is more favorable at the Link.

If I had to guess, it's possible Century Link has more SPL in the 2-3khz and upper treble, like 15-20khz. These sorts of ranges overboosted in audio are more annoying to listen to and are fatiguing.

Either that or there's something else going on. I'm an electrical engineer and huge audiophile (both home and car) and I try to explain to people that sometimes you cannot measure everything, or even if you can, correlating it to what is "better" in real life isn't as easy as you think.

Like for instance there are numerous quality products that don't "measure" particularly well that sound better IMO than products that have nicer #s for distortion, signal to noise ratio, etc.

Psychoacoustics plays a role in audio listening for enjoyment and most likely plays a role in how hard it is to hear.

For a test, if you can get your hands on a test tone generator, play around with the different frequencies. Certain frequencies at a fixed volume are harder on the ears than others.

Another thing I'm involved in is intelligibility for fire alarm system design. This is the engineering of a voice communication system in a building where the occupants can understand what is being said. It is different from audibility which is merely being able to hear it. Comprehension is a harder task.

So there are different principles at task to make a sound system more intelligible than others. Understanding acoustics is quite in depth, and IMO is a lot more complicated than merely focusing on SPL.

This is the first time I've given this stadium loudness issue any real thought and now I'm convinced that what C-Link has going on has less to do with SPL and more to do with the acoustics of the stadium.

It probably would be very effective even at 10-15 dB lower.

The bottom line is the same eye test we have to evaluate QBs in light of what the passer rating, QBR, PFF, etc. says is the same one we can use to evaluate which teams are struggling more offensively at any particular stadium.

253hawk

Reaction score
The way Guinness measures raw dB isn't very objective, anyway. They just plunk a mic down in the rowdiest section; it's not in the middle of the field and therefore not equidistant from all of the seating, so it's a no-brainer that the larger seating sections at Arrowhead can be louder due to the sheer numbers difference. Also, bigger venues like Arrowhead have 'shallower' seats which rise further back and away from the field whereas C-Link's seating is more inclined and closer to the field. Is KC louder? Perhaps. But is all of that noise getting to the field and in the QB's ear before it drops off, compared to Seattle? Tough to say for sure.

The only way to get a true reading is to strap a mic to the Skycam and park it on the 50 yard line, halfway between the 1st row and the nosebleeds (or a drone, since Skycam would be too busy if trying to get the record 'organically'.)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
NINEster":1obk8qoa said:
Arrowhead is a loud place. I remember it being unnaturally loud for the preseason game last year vs. SF on the first few plays.

I remember in the mid '90s watching an MNF game where the ref was asking the fans to quiet down otherwise the Chiefs would get a penalty.

It is absolutely for real, but at the same time nothing has been as consistent as the challenge of playing at Century Link for opposing teams.

I have a different take on this sound thing. It's quite possible that outright SPL isn't everything, but maybe the SPL at certain frequencies might matter more. It would be interesting to take an RTA (Real Time Analyzer) like one used to EQ sound systems and see what the curve looks like at both of these stadiums. My guess is the curve is more favorable at the Link.

If I had to guess, it's possible Century Link has more SPL in the 2-3khz and upper treble, like 15-20khz. These sorts of ranges overboosted in audio are more annoying to listen to and are fatiguing.

Either that or there's something else going on. I'm an electrical engineer and huge audiophile (both home and car) and I try to explain to people that sometimes you cannot measure everything, or even if you can, correlating it to what is "better" in real life isn't as easy as you think.

Like for instance there are numerous quality products that don't "measure" particularly well that sound better IMO than products that have nicer #s for distortion, signal to noise ratio, etc.

Psychoacoustics plays a role in audio listening for enjoyment and most likely plays a role in how hard it is to hear.

For a test, if you can get your hands on a test tone generator, play around with the different frequencies. Certain frequencies at a fixed volume are harder on the ears than others.

Another thing I'm involved in is intelligibility for fire alarm system design. This is the engineering of a voice communication system in a building where the occupants can understand what is being said. It is different from audibility which is merely being able to hear it. Comprehension is a harder task.

So there are different principles at task to make a sound system more intelligible than others. Understanding acoustics is quite in depth, and IMO is a lot more complicated than merely focusing on SPL.

This is the first time I've given this stadium loudness issue any real thought and now I'm convinced that what C-Link has going on has less to do with SPL and more to do with the acoustics of the stadium.

It probably would be very effective even at 10-15 dB lower.

The bottom line is the same eye test we have to evaluate QBs in light of what the passer rating, QBR, PFF, etc. says is the same one we can use to evaluate which teams are struggling more offensively at any particular stadium.

I worked on RADAR and Transmitters and Receivers in the Air Force. I agree with what you say here. Receivers and transmitters can have dead zones too. Resonant frequencies apply here. Anything over 20khz is not normally read or heard by most people. I do have an audio oscillator from way back when and can make my own tones. I have an oscilloscope to measure it too. Just to spin it a little bit.....Spock had an inner eyelid for his species of human...some people get a blockage after an extremely loud noise. Sometimes it works for me too. :)

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Escamillo":gkm1edj8 said:
Microfiber":gkm1edj8 said:
MizzouHawkGal":gkm1edj8 said:
NorCalHawk12":gkm1edj8 said:

Now the question is, do they make noise at the proper time(s) in games...such as during the huddle through the snap and the whistle?

Theirs, probably not so much. At least I've never heard of such a reputation. Has anyone here heard of the Chefs rep for affecting games? Mizzou?
Back in the 1990's yes but even then ours was more well known. Kansas City is far more known for their tailgate scene.

Arrowhead has actually always been considered the loudest in the NFL, until the last few years when people finally recognized the CLink.

But was not the Kingdome the impetus for Pete Rozelle's infamous "crowd noise" rule, where teams would be penalized 5 yards if their crowd was too loud (as judged by the referees and the opposing QB)?

Yes it was - and just another reason why Elway is hated in Seattle. It was seen as coming from a complaint from the Broncos because they couldn't hear over the crowd noise from the Dome.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-03-22/sports/sp-219_1_winter-meetings

Referees were authorized to confiscate timeouts or, if necessary, walk off penalties against teams whose cheering fans raise the noise level to a pitch that disrupts the other team's communications.

At the Seattle Kingdome, for instance, visiting quarterbacks have for years complained that their teammates often couldn't hear the signals in the din.

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
Microfiber":fjdckqy3 said:
MizzouHawkGal":fjdckqy3 said:
NorCalHawk12":fjdckqy3 said:

But espn boston posted false start / delay of game penalties yesterday. Since the start of the 2013 season, arrowhead is actually in 1st place so yes they are loud all the time, not just when guinness shows up...... Here is the link http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... #f5a39da1c

That makes sense actually. False start penalties and offensive problems were common in seattle because teams were not prepared for the noise.

A few years ago the media started to make a big deal out of the noise @ C-Link so teams started preparing for it. Before, most teams that came to Seattle were completley unprepared for the noise (like the Giants 12 false start penalties!!). Now that the secret is out you don't see as many penalties. ( not that it makes it easy to deal with but using silent count and other things help reduce offensive issues/ penalties ).

Arrowhead is probably where C-link was a few years ago, before the media blew it up. Once teams start preparing for the noise the number of false starts/ offensive penalties in Arrowhead will go down.

CANHawk

Reaction score
^yeah but high tech offenses like Denver or whoever operate differently when forced to use hand signals and silent counts. Can't make the same kind of adjustments at the LOS. Might not get the false start penalty like we used to, but the noise still makes a huge difference.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
CANHawk":1ovv3vdq said:
^yeah but high tech offenses like Denver or whoever operate differently when forced to use hand signals and silent counts. Can't make the same kind of adjustments at the LOS. Might not get the false start penalty like we used to, but the noise still makes a huge difference.
Aye, most teams have learned and just resign themselves to using silent counts on the regular. K.C. or Minnesota will probably overtake our false start record in a few years, despite not being as disruptive to a real QB in the huddle. :)

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
CANHawk":3c5n45wi said:

I am not saying the noise has no effect. It has a huge effect. I am simply saying that the teams plan ahead now so we r not seeing the false starts and illegal motions we saw before