How accurate are Draft Big Boards?

HawksNation

Reaction score
I know we can look at stats and film, but I’m genuinely curious how they determine who the best player in a draft class is.

I know you can rank best player in each position, but how do they determine that a DE or DT is a better prospect than say, a CB, WR, or OT?

I hope my question makes sense.

Just seems that it is hard to compare players when they don’t play the same position or have the same impact on the game.

Thanks

OP
OP
H

HawksNation

Reaction score
I know we can look at stats and film, but I’m genuinely curious how they determine who the best player in a draft class is.

I know you can rank best player in each position, but how do they determine that a DE or DT is a better prospect than say, a CB, WR, or OT?

I hope my question makes sense.

Just seems that it is hard to compare players when they don’t play the same position or have the same impact on the game.

Thanks
I looked at 2022 mock drafts and compared them to the actual draft, and the most analysts we’re pretty damn close when is came to draft order, however they were consistently wrong on which player or position a team would pick.

They were convinced Seattle was taking Derek Stingley or another DE, but we took an OT.
This was a common theme.

bileever

Reaction score
It's a combination of player grades and positional value. Because some positions are harder to fill--QB, DE and CB, e.g.--good players at those positions will be higher on the board than similarly talented players at different positions. But it's not an exact science, and it also depends on many other factors such the depth of talent at each position in any given year. Each team's big board is different, depending on the strength of its current roster, roster building philosophy and appetite for risk.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
it would be cool to see the hawks past big boards. Where they valued folks etc