How do you feel about your bandwaggon jumpers?

HawksFTW

Reaction score
AvengerRam":3kd14psj said:
HawksFTW":3kd14psj said:
Waggon? Who cares? So what if people want to pretend to be Seahawks fans, or Rams fans, etc. Real fans know the difference. What I don't get are all these opposing fans who ask these asinine questions. Whether it is not so subtle trolling, or what, but who do you think you are to come in here talking about our fans? Between this and all the backhanded compliments on our home field advantage, it is amazing to see how damn defensive (and most likely scared) opposing teams' fans are.

Or... maybe I just enjoy having discussions on interesting topics with reasonable, open-minded fans of other teams.

(Which begs the question... why am I responding to YOU?)

Look, we have pretty strict rules about bringing up talk of what is and isn't considered being a fan, etc. This topic NEVER ends up going well, especially considering an outsider started it. All it does is drives a wedge between old fans and new fans, so cut it out.

OP
OP
AvengerRam

AvengerRam

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1pvy7vqi said:
Why would someone who likes the Heat because of LeBron be a bandwagoner? Why do we like teams to begin with?

Let me respond to that from personal experience.

I became a Heat fan when the franchise was established. I had a 1/4 share of season tickets for a few years when I lived in SoFla. I "suffered" through years when the team won less than 40% of its games and was in the lottery every year.

When the Heat signed Lebron, I was happy that the interest in the team increased, and that every home game thereafter was before a sellout crowd.

However, when I see people in the premium sections who clearly have no interest in basketball and are there only because Lebron's presence has made the game "the place to be and be seen," I can't help but feel a tinge of resentment.

And, as others have noted, there's a good chance that one day, when the team is down again, those same "fans" will no longer support the team.

OP
OP
AvengerRam

AvengerRam

Reaction score
HawksFTW":3ljlpri9 said:
AvengerRam":3ljlpri9 said:
HawksFTW":3ljlpri9 said:
Waggon? Who cares? So what if people want to pretend to be Seahawks fans, or Rams fans, etc. Real fans know the difference. What I don't get are all these opposing fans who ask these asinine questions. Whether it is not so subtle trolling, or what, but who do you think you are to come in here talking about our fans? Between this and all the backhanded compliments on our home field advantage, it is amazing to see how damn defensive (and most likely scared) opposing teams' fans are.

Or... maybe I just enjoy having discussions on interesting topics with reasonable, open-minded fans of other teams.

Look, we have pretty strict rules about bringing up talk of what is and isn't considered being a fan, etc. This topic NEVER ends up going well, especially considering an outsider started it. All it does is drives a wedge between old fans and new fans, so cut it out.

I doubt you have too many true bandwaggon fans here (if any), so I don't think your concern is warranted.

Thanks for the input, though.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":31m7olqe said:
I don't understand the mentality of a bandwagon jumper (where is the fun in rooting for a different team every 2-4 years? Just becuase the team might win the Super Bowl? Makes no sense) but I agree: more the merrier, die hards get MUCH more respect.

Does bandwagon really mean a different team though? For instance, I consider myself diehard Seahawks (bleed blue) and dedicated UW Football and Sounders fan (follow no matter what.) However I only follow the Mariners, UW Basketball and Sonics (when they were here) when they are actually doing well. Not a big enough fan of those teams to deal with the hard times. I don't follow another baseball or basketball team when those teams are doing poorly, but rather just don't really follow those sports at all unless "my team" is doing well.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
AvengerRam":25bcxr6a said:
HawksFTW":25bcxr6a said:
AvengerRam":25bcxr6a said:
HawksFTW":25bcxr6a said:

I doubt you have too many true bandwaggon fans here (if any), so I don't think your concern is warranted.

Thanks for the input, though.

You don't get it, all this winds up being is a pissing match. We've been down this road many times on this board, no need to do it again.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
AvengerRam":3hgexjyh said:
Uncle Si":3hgexjyh said:
Why would someone who likes the Heat because of LeBron be a bandwagoner? Why do we like teams to begin with?

I became a Heat fan when the franchise was established. I had a 1/4 share of season tickets for a few years when I lived in SoFla. I "suffered" through years when the team won less than 40% of its games and was in the lottery every year.

When the Heat signed Lebron, I was happy that the interest in the team increased, and that every home game thereafter was before a sellout crowd.

However, when I see people in the premium sections who clearly have no interest in basketball and are there only because Lebron's presence has made the game "the place to be and be seen," I can't help but feel a tinge of resentment.

And, as others have noted, there's a good chance that one day, when the team is down again, those same "fans" will no longer support the team.

fine and understandable, but isnt that still the nature of any entertainment business, and even more so with sports? Its entertainment. when it becomes more entertaining, the value will go up. check out the Premier league in England. most die hard do anything supporters cant afford any tickets because theyve been priced out feeding the tourists and higher incomes

I feel like some people lose sight of what sports really are. We start calling people bandwagoners or fair weather because they dont show as much (if any) interest in the team when its lost its entertainment value. it doesnt always seem fair but its the way it is.

OP
OP
AvengerRam

AvengerRam

Reaction score
Bitter":18thw2aa said:
Trenchbroom":18thw2aa said:
I don't understand the mentality of a bandwagon jumper (where is the fun in rooting for a different team every 2-4 years? Just becuase the team might win the Super Bowl? Makes no sense) but I agree: more the merrier, die hards get MUCH more respect.

Does bandwagon really mean a different team though? For instance, I consider myself diehard Seahawks (bleed blue) and dedicated UW Football and Sounders fan (follow no matter what.) However I only follow the Mariners, UW Basketball and Sonics (when they were here) when they are actually doing well. Not a big enough fan of those teams to deal with the hard times. I don't follow another baseball or basketball team when those teams are doing poorly, but rather just don't really follow those sports at all unless "my team" is doing well.

Some might say you're a bit of a fair weather baseball/basketball fan, but hey... its hard to be a diehard in every sport (I, for one, no longer really follow baseball after being a diehard Orioles fan as a kid).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bitter":2ykm2v89 said:
Trenchbroom":2ykm2v89 said:

to me, you'd be a "bandwagon" fan if you ran off to support the Yankees or Red Sox or something because they were good. Showing no interest in the Mariners when they suck doest make you less of a fan. Just a smarter one

OP
OP
AvengerRam

AvengerRam

Reaction score
Uncle Si":5qvf1k7f said:
fine and understandable, but isnt that still the nature of any entertainment business, and even more so with sports? Its entertainment. when it becomes more entertaining, the value will go up. check out the Premier league in England. most die hard do anything supporters cant afford any tickets because theyve been priced out feeding the tourists and higher incomes

I feel like some people lose sight of what sports really are. We start calling people bandwagoners or fair weather because they dont show as much (if any) interest in the team when its lost its entertainment value. it doesnt always seem fair but its the way it is.

Those are all good points, and I don't think that new fans (whether you call them bandwaggoners or fair weather fans) should be rejected.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I grew up in Guam all my life, there is no NFL team there, and I did not grow up with Football, my HS did not have a football team.

I get stateside in 2001 for college, and Gonzaga has no football team. So I got into college basketball.

In 2005, I move to Seattle and the Seahawks make the superbowl. Watched it, we lost, didn't really know much about it, but I did still root for our city's team.

2009 - I'm making the move back to Guam to help the family. Try to do my Seattle bucket list and finally attend a Seahawks game. It was so fun, I immediately attended another. Moved back to Guam for 2.5 years, where the only way I could get to a Seahawks game was a $1500 airplane ticket...I pulled it off twice during that time period.

2012 - Moved back to Seattle. got myself a season ticket as I promised I would if I ever moved back. Given the prior 2 years, I figured it would be either a breakout year, or the same old, but games would be fun regardless. We all saw what happened last year.

You can probably consider me a Bandwagon fan because, but those are my reasons above. I've made Seattle my home, but I do find it insulting if people want to consider me a crap fan that you don't want around because I didn't grow up around football (my Dad's an immigrant from Hong Kong) and/or in Seattle.

p.s. My baby who is only 1.5 years old has already been to 6 seahawk games. I may not have been a Seahawk fan since birth, but at least she will be :).

p.p.s. I support the Mariners, I may not follow them, but I support them.

OP
OP
AvengerRam

AvengerRam

Reaction score
I see that this has been moved to the NFL board, which is fine. The question really applies to any team that has experienced a period of success (Sorry, Cardinals fans...)

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2978rejb said:
Bitter":2978rejb said:
Trenchbroom":2978rejb said:

to me, you'd be a "bandwagon" fan if you ran off to support the Yankees or Red Sox or something because they were good. Showing no interest in the Mariners when they suck doest make you less of a fan. Just a smarter one

That's the kind of fans I'm talking about. Jumping ship to another team's. I'll be the first to admit I'm a Mariners fairweather fan. Baseball doesn't interest me much to begin but I always root for them. With the horrible decisions made in the last decade and the overt sabotage attempt of the Sonics return, I refuse to pay good money on the team. I'll still root for Felix and co. tho.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2d9pnxh1 said:
I grew up in Guam all my life, there is no NFL team there, and I did not grow up with Football, my HS did not have a football team.

I get stateside in 2001 for college, and Gonzaga has no football team. So I got into college basketball.

In 2005, I move to Seattle and the Seahawks make the superbowl. Watched it, we lost, didn't really know much about it, but I did still root for our city's team.

2009 - I'm making the move back to Guam to help the family. Try to do my Seattle bucket list and finally attend a Seahawks game. It was so fun, I immediately attended another. Moved back to Guam for 2.5 years, where the only way I could get to a Seahawks game was a $1500 airplane ticket...I pulled it off twice during that time period.

2012 - Moved back to Seattle. got myself a season ticket as I promised I would if I ever moved back. Given the prior 2 years, I figured it would be either a breakout year, or the same old, but games would be fun regardless. We all saw what happened last year.

You can probably consider me a Bandwagon fan because, but those are my reasons above. I've made Seattle my home, but I do find it insulting if people want to consider me a crap fan that you don't want around because I didn't grow up around football (my Dad's an immigrant from Hong Kong) and/or in Seattle.

p.s. My baby who is only 1.5 years old has already been to 6 seahawk games. I may not have been a Seahawk fan since birth, but at least she will be :).

p.p.s. I support the Mariners, I may not follow them, but I support them.

Nope. You, sir, are not a bandwagon fan. Some people get exposed to the sport and the team as a kid. You got exposed to it at probably the perfect time. You stayed with us through the hard times and now here you are

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Really don't care as long as they don't act like complete douchebags like another division rivals bandwagon fans.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
AvengerRam":2xlwuali said:
Uncle Si":2xlwuali said:

So basically you started this thread to show how great of a fan you are. Got it. Now shove off.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2filgrdx said:
AvengerRam":2filgrdx said:
Uncle Si":2filgrdx said:

So basically you started this thread to show how great of a fan you are. Got it. Now shove off.

Ding, ding, ding.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Funny, AvengerRam banned me from ClanRam for starting the exact same thread... Odd how it isn't trolling here, but is a bannable offense at ClanRam?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
HawksFTW":34csgd76 said:
Funny, AvengerRam banned me from ClanRam for starting the exact same thread... Odd how it isn't trolling here, but is a bannable offense at ClanRam?

You did remind them they don't have any bandwagon fans right now. What with their stadium being quieter than a morgue and all.

Slick

Reaction score
I don't know. I judge by the activity going on in the field level suites. When the Seahawks suck (like the Mora year) you'll see a scarce amount of mostly dudes in those lower seats. When the Seahawks are having success, LIKE NOW, you see a those things filled to the brim with whooping Bellevue Bottle girls shouting their mating calls (wooooooooooooo!!!!) to the equally shallow group of overtly-tanned jersey shore looking dudes with frosted tips and drink cocktails with little straws in 'em just like in Belltown where they were the night before (da club). They don't really care about the game as much as just being seen there and the occasional acknowledgment from a player.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":5nhgcdhp said:
HawksFTW":5nhgcdhp said:

You did remind them they don't have any bandwagon fans right now. What with their stadium being quieter than a morgue and all.

Alright, I may have rubbed their noses in it, for sure. I just find it funny, as I didn't even say anything that bad, and copped to joking around within the first couple of posts. I see why he wants to come post on our boards all the time though, it is almost as bad as the Jags boards over there.