How Important Was Dan Quinn to this Team

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Congrats to your Falcons. They were clearly the better team on Saturday. Hawks were outplayed and outcoached. Now go knock off Erin "walk on water" Rodgers, PLEASE! :2thumbs:
On another note, was VERY impressed with Ryan. Even when we got pressure, he calmly got the ball out for perfect throw after perfect throw. Silenced his critics, including myself. He's a damn good QB.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Loss of Ken Norton really hurt too IMO. He was part of Pete's 4-3/3-4 philosophy along with his learning the Jimmy Johnson 4-3. Those are two of the best 4-3 defensive coaches who have been in the NFL over the past 25 years and Norton was a key player or coach with both of those teams.

OP
OP
sondevil89

sondevil89

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2wt1a2fy said:
kidhawk":2wt1a2fy said:
HawkFan72":2wt1a2fy said:
Quinn was the DC for 2 years. Both years the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl.

I know there are other factors, but it is hard to argue that he was not very important to this team, and specifically, the Defense.

Our offense (and specifically our Offensive Line) were way better those two years and it had nothing to do with the DC

I don't know if you have ESPN Insider so I will post an excerpt, but Sando just posted an article today talking about the Seahawks the last few years. Their Offense has been just about as productive as the Super Bowl years:

The Super Bowl Seahawks scored 81 offensive touchdowns over two regular seasons. The Seattle offense has scored 80 touchdowns over the past two seasons, a wash.

Seattle's offense committed a league-low 29 turnovers during its Super Bowl seasons. The number was 33 over 2015 and 2016, which ranked fifth. No big change there.

Teams use explosive plays as another barometer. The Seahawks have not fallen off sharply in that regard, either. Their Super Bowl teams ranked fourth in total number of 12-yard-plus runs and 16-yard-plus passes (those are the cutoffs Seattle and some other teams use). The Seahawks have fallen just two spots to sixth in explosive plays over the past two seasons, producing 247 of them, down from 261. An increase in explosive pass plays has offset most of the decline in explosive rushes associated with Lynch's retirement and Russell Wilson's injuries.

The dropoff has been on Defense. They produce way fewer turnovers, allow more explosive plays, and player development on the Defensive side of the ball has been severely lacking. On Offense we have had some guys (like Rawls) step up and produce when they are called into action, but on the Defensive side we have not really seen any of the backups be good when they have had to step up (Dion Bailey last year, Terrell this year, for example). That could be a coaching issue too.

Since the Super Bowl, the part of the team that has gotten worse (from a production standpoint) is the Defense. Not the Offense. And that's since Quinn (and Norton) left.

:ditto: Nailed it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Dan Quinn had the luxury of a great front line, Young, hungry, and mostly uninjured players.
He also had the luxury of a good OL that kept the offense on the field and the defense rested.

Although, I thought he was the best DC we had, I wonder how he would fare with a budget cut to the defense, thank you all the big contracts to several D players and one big one to our QB.

OP
OP
sondevil89

sondevil89

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3qhtiqsa said:
Dan Quinn had the luxury of a great front line, Young, hungry, and mostly uninjured players.
He also had the luxury of a good OL that kept the offense on the field and the defense rested.

Although, I thought he was the best DC we had, I wonder how he would fare with a budget cut to the defense, thank you all the big contracts to several D players and one big one to our QB.

Young, hungry, and mostly inexperienced players. Without a competent coordinator it could have been the football equivalent of a Chinese fire drill.

You make a fair argument, but a fair counter argument could also be made that Richards had the luxury of vastly more veteran players.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well we had that NASCAR package and I think the talent of our D made up for the lack of experience, though, our DL was a experienced group.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1fmje4ic said:

Time of position has changed nominally since 2012 till now. Not trying to call this out, it is just a huge misconception about our offense. I would argue that right now is our most talented D Line in the PC era, Frank Clark really gives the edge. 2013 probably had the most depth.

OP
OP
sondevil89

sondevil89

Reaction score
Bobblehead":spqjbkzb said:
Well we had that NASCAR package and I think the talent of our D made up for the lack of experience, though, our DL was a experienced group.

Right, but it isn't as if Richards inherited a weak group, they were still young and in fact, in their prime, several of the players had developed from unheralded high-round draft picks into all-pro or pro-bowl players, AND they had the seasoning of the playoffs and two Super Bowl appearances! The same could be said for many of the players on offense. This is a coordinators dream come true!

NINEster

Reaction score
sdog1981":23ny02yp said:
The Loss of Ken Norton really hurt too IMO. He was part of Pete's 4-3/3-4 philosophy along with his learning the Jimmy Johnson 4-3. Those are two of the best 4-3 defensive coaches who have been in the NFL over the past 25 years and Norton was a key player or coach with both of those teams.

Don't forget Norton & Carroll working together in SF '95-'96 under George Seifert and his contributions with the 4-3 "Elephant".

onepicknick

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3sto5br7 said:

Ahhh but remember it was the poor craftsman who blamed his tools.