How is Harvin not cleared to play?

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
kf3339":38jg6glv said:
Second, what plays in his two games this year that makes anyone certain he would be the difference in this game? In both cases he made plays, but none that determined the outcome of either game.

Umm not so sure about this statement Harvin had 3 key first downs and his presence may have increased the production for the whole offense since they had to account for his play making abilities.

We scored 16 points in the first half, 7 in the 2nd half which required an INSANELY good play by Baldwin. If our offense was like how it was without Harvin in the first half of the game we could have very easily lost the game 14 points vs Saints 15 points. Plus if Harvin didn't provide that spark and get our drives going while producing clutch 1st downs we would have given up the ball a lot faster. It's very conceivable the Saints would have scored in the first half without Harvin helping us keep the ball offensively.

I'd like to think we would have won that game without Harvin, but judging by his impact in the 1st half it's not a statement I could make with any confidence.

And we need Harvin about 10 times more against the 49ers than we did vs Saints.

This isn't a doomsday thread I still think we'll win barely, but it's going to be very difficult and we better hope Kaepernick turns the ball over.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Tokadub":z4n976h5 said:
kf3339":z4n976h5 said:
Second, what plays in his two games this year that makes anyone certain he would be the difference in this game? In both cases he made plays, but none that determined the outcome of either game.

Umm not so sure about this statement Harvin had 3 key first downs and his presence may have increased the production for the whole offense since they had to account for his play making abilities.

We scored 16 points in the first half, 7 in the 2nd half which required an INSANELY good play by Baldwin. If our offense was like how it was without Harvin in the first half of the game we could have very easily lost the game 14 points vs Saints 15 points. Plus if Harvin didn't provide that spark and get our drives going while producing clutch 1st downs we would have given up the ball a lot faster. It's very conceivable the Saints would have scored in the first half without Harvin helping us keep the ball offensively.

I'd like to think we would have won that game without Harvin, but other than his impact in the 1st half it's not a statement I could make with any confidence.

Harvin has done some things in his limited action, but using 1st half stats vs 2nd half stats against the Saints are useless. We were playing ball control once we got the lead. It's pure speculation to say we wouldn't have done the same with Harvin out there.
This isn't a doomsday thread I still think we'll win barely, but it's going to be very difficult and we better hope Kaepernick turns the ball over.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Tokadub":15ai77ge said:
And what exactly is the concussion protocol some guy looks in his eyes with a little flashlight and waves his finger and says he can't play after scribbling some notes down?

Percy isn't exactly the most articulate dude to begin with, I just am not sure how you can accurately assess this kind of thing.

Maybe the NFL needs to like spend a tiny portion of their mega billions to design a better helmet... this is just bologna. I read or saw some studies that showed the new NFL helmets are about as effective to protect the brain as the leather ones were.

Article titled:

NFL offering millions for helmet innovations. LOL why don't they fund their own projects to do this instead of trying to make other people figure it out for them?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... l/2768237/
Actually I saw an article about Wes Welker wearing a newly designed helmet specifically for that.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
I don't think we had any chance to score 16 points in first half without Harvin, but impossible to know for sure.

warden

Reaction score
Light concussions, a player misses a week. More severe concussions is 2 weeks or longer. When I watched Percy walking off the field woozy and needing help to walk, our chances of him only taking one week were remote. He will be back at practice next week.

seadoc30

Reaction score
13thMan":30iiinu6 said:
Uncle Si":30iiinu6 said:
Tokadub":30iiinu6 said:
Yeah I thought if any concussion would cause a player to not play the next game it would have been that one on Rice.

This just seems shady to me they aren't gonna let him play in such an important game, kinda expecting the refs to try to make us lose too now.

Come on... Grow up

:13:

The conspiracy theorists out in full force... Wow.

Did you see Hardbag in his conference today?! The guy seemed like the most relaxed guy ever. Seeing him joke and laughing and even brought up the Keep headphones commercial n how much he loves it. Was thinking that did he receive the good news from the NFL that they will guarantee a win for him on Sunday and lose to Payton in the superbowl (to which he gladly agreed).. I mean how often do u see the most psychotic guy, Hardbag, so relaxed?!

Raptor12

Reaction score
Kixkahn":378k76r0 said:
Tokadub":378k76r0 said:
And what exactly is the concussion protocol some guy looks in his eyes with a little flashlight and waves his finger and says he can't play after scribbling some notes down?

Percy isn't exactly the most articulate dude to begin with, I just am not sure how you can accurately assess this kind of thing.

Maybe the NFL needs to like spend a tiny portion of their mega billions to design a better helmet... this is just bologna. I read or saw some studies that showed the new NFL helmets are about as effective to protect the brain as the leather ones were.

Article titled:

NFL offering millions for helmet innovations. LOL why don't they fund their own projects to do this instead of trying to make other people figure it out for them?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... l/2768237/
Actually I saw an article about Wes Welker wearing a newly designed helmet specifically for that.

Let's just get rid of the helmets altogether....Problem Solved!
:sarcasm_off:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Raptor12":8uof3bcu said:
Let's just get rid of the helmets altogether....Problem Solved!
:sarcasm_off:

You say that sarcastically, but truthfully I believe all the helmets and extra padding make players feel more invincible. If they didn't have them I would bet you'd see a LOT fewer HUGE hits and MUCH less spearing

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think the point toka was attempting to make was that if every concussion is different then evaluating them is subjective. How can a physician who is unfamiliar with the "non concussed" player accurately judge the impact of the concussion? You would have to have a base line.

It's frustrating but we have come this far with him contributing virtually nothing. Hopefully guys will step up and get us the rest of the way with out him.
I won't say we don't need him though or that its no big deal because that's bs. The Hawks wouldn't be paying him what they are if we didn't need him.

checkdanews

Reaction score
:34853_doh:

Seriously I understand getting upset and all that, but this crap is just giving people reasons to hate us. There really is east coast biased, but thats only for media coverage...Nothing more, nothing less.

So calm down guys, it sucks I know but will be alright.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We can't say for sure that team docs even cleared him. He never even made it to practice. From what I understand, a player can practice before the independent doctor gives him final clearance for a game.

Anyway, the actual tests involved in the protocol are obviously a bit mysterious to some of us. As an initial matter, it seems to involve evaluating the player's responses to questions that demand some cognitive reasoning. The second part seems to involve his reaction to increasing physical activity. Of course, he might still be exhibiting distinct symptoms of a concussion (e.g. dizziness, confusion, etc.) that would rule him out completely.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The conspiracy theories around here are tiresome be lucky Wes Welker wasn't here the gnashing of teeth would be epic.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
I have just come to realize that we should not count on percy to play at all.. just that IF he does he is an asset.
Although, you could argue that he distracts the game plan. by being squishy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The conspiracy theories around here are tiresome be lucky Wes Welker wasn't here the gnashing of teeth would be epic.

kf3339

Reaction score
Tokadub":3sjub93y said:
kf3339":3sjub93y said:

I'd like to think we would have won that game without Harvin, but judging by his impact in the 1st half it's not a statement I could make with any confidence.

Really. You don't think if he hadn't played it wouldn't have just been Baldwin or Tate who have been making the same clutch plays for 1st down as they have the whole season. If not check the regular season stats.

You are giving Harvin far too much credit for what he did last Saturday. He was a contributor, but not the reason we won that game. Last I looked he doesn't play defense, special teams or has a last name of Lynch.

Your doom and gloom about Harvin is making you look like you have no faith in the players that got us a 13-3 record and HFA in these playoffs. You need to reevaluate your priorities about our team.

justafan

Reaction score
I would trust an independant DR before I would trust a company DR.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
We have more fans now than ever before. Our gear is flying off the shelves at record numbers. Russell Wilson is the most marketable player in the league in a lot of areas. To "let" this team become a winner only generates more revenue for the NFL and gives them yet another team to claim a cash cow.

Why in the holy hell would they purposely keep this team down at a time where the money will start rolling in for years and years?... Let's let this die.

Latest posts