How good is Geno?

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I love the way Geno has been playing.. the guy is just tearing it up. But lets keep things into perspective and be patient in our evaluation. Is it not true that Geno has won what, 7 or 8 games? He absolutely playing well. He is absolutely looking like he is the answer to Seattles QB issues. But...

The truth is he has a lot to prove. He has won 7 regular season. games for the Hawks . Lets see how he does against top talent. Lets see how he does vs the Chiefs, Rams and the Niners. Lets see if he can actually win the division and make a play off run. If he does these things then yeah give him a big contract but until then he has a lot to prove to him self and his team mates.

Im rooting for him but for now im not seeing himvas anything but a strong QB who is having a decent year. Lets see what he brings for the rest of the season.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I love you Rock but how to start controversy!!!
Is it not true? I really like Geno i think he is going to be a great qb. But at this point why should anyone give him a huge contract? Off potential?

Rainger

Reaction score
Is it not true? I really like Geno i think he is going to be a great qb. But at this point why should anyone give him a huge contract? Off potential?
Sorry did your question deal with salary. Must have missed. It. No I don't want them to pay top 10 money. Draft a QB but Geno will be good for a few Yeats on reasonable contract

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I just think he has some things to prove. I think he will prove it. He has the talent around him he has the support around him to make him successful. Now all he has to do is prove it.

How good is he? He is good enough to win 7 regular season games.

Am i wrong? Lol

Rainger

Reaction score
I just think he has some things to prove. I think he will prove it. He has the talent around him he has the support around him to make him successful. Now all he has to do is prove it.

How good is he? He is good enough to win 7 regular season games.

Am i wrong? Lol
He is good enough to win 10+ games . Am I wrong?? we will see

Rainger

Reaction score
I was just reading to my wife the comparison of the Herschel Walker trade vs the ME3 trade. It is possible that this trade could actually become bigger. But only if the Hawks can win a few SBs in the next 4 years.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

Rainger

Reaction score
Think we are on the same page Geno is the perfect fit while PC uses his draft capital from the 1st or 2nd biggest fleecing of another nfl team in trade history. Another huge draft next year and this team with or without Geno will be looking at 2 or 3 SB runs.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
He's good enough to have this discussion which is more I can say for a lot of players.

Instead of being an afterthought by 31 other franchises that completely disregarded him like an old pair of shoes, Pete and John gave him a shot. Now all he's gotta do is prove his worth. Which is exactly what he's doing every week. Sure, he's going to stumble and have bad games because all players do. But after seeing him on Sunday throw that pick-6 and then come back the next possession and drive down the field with the offense in convincing fashion, I think that's a strong indicator of how he carries himself. He could have completely imploded after that play, but he did not. And admittedly, I was slightly worried. I hate playing against the Cards TBH.

He doesn't play hero ball because he doesn't need to. And that's a position of strength if I ever saw one. Who knows if that will change when the roster changes over the years after/if/when he gets paid, but we will never know unless he gets a shot to continue being the starter.

keasley45

Reaction score
I love the way Geno has been playing.. the guy is just tearing it up. But lets keep things into perspective and be patient in our evaluation. Is it not true that Geno has won what, 7 or 8 games? He absolutely playing well. He is absolutely looking like he is the answer to Seattles QB issues. But...

The truth is he has a lot to prove. He has won 7 regular season. games for the Hawks . Lets see how he does against top talent. Lets see how he does vs the Chiefs, Rams and the Niners. Lets see if he can actually win the division and make a play off run. If he does these things then yeah give him a big contract but until then he has a lot to prove to him self and his team mates.

Im rooting for him but for now im not seeing himvas anything but a strong QB who is having a decent year. Lets see what he brings for the rest of the season.

Thoughts?

If you are evaluating him based purely off of wins and losses or TDs to Ints... pure stats, i can see how you may feel as though the he needs to prove more. But if you watch what he's doing, play by play, how he's moving safeties, the accuracy with which he's placing passes and how solid his reads are... those things translate whether hes playing the no 1 defense in the league or the no 32 unit. That's why all the hand wringing and 'prove it' talk last year when he lit up the Jags was misplaced. When you watched the film, it didnt matter WHO he was playing because WHAT he was doing was 100% correct, play to play, read to read, and throw to throw. He did the same kind of things in that game that he's doing now against stiffer talent and teams that are 100% preparing for him every week and it doesnt matter.

An example of just how good the dude is playing - on his first TD toss to DK, DK starts inside and then turns out to the corner of the endzone. He has a 1/2 step on Hamilton and Geno COULD have tried to lead him to the corner and give him a ball to high point. Instead, just as DK turns to face the LOS, Geno gives him the ball INSIDE - an easier completion and one the defender cant see coming. DK recognizes the ball, stops his corner route, catches the ball, basically standing still, taps his toes... TD. A simple example of how the QB throws his wr open, leading him to the spot that gives him the highest percentage chance to make the grab, recognizing the advantage the WR has over the CB, in a moment the WR cant possibly know whether he's actually open or not.
Play Design2
The moment Geno releases the ball, DK is getting his head turned to see where its going. Instead of going outside, Geno hits him backside for an easy catch and toe-tap.

Play Design3

But Geno's performance isnt even solely about HIS ability. When you look at the way Shane is making his job easier, through play design and mixing up looks... even in the most stressed situations and against defenses that are more stout, the guy will STILL have as good an advantage as one could ask for. On Geno's 2nd TD, the play, right off the bat is designed to go to Tyler. The route concepts are designed to get Tyler isolated against the Safety. At the snap, Geno can pretty clearly see what the coverage is showing and who the D's man responsibilities are. Its a simple read and toss where the play does the work for him. The D is committed to doubling DK. Eskridge and DK run an out and an in respectively, creating a simple one-on-one between Tyler and Baker -Tyler wins that 110% of the time. TD. And given the 4 man rush, Geno also knows that if Tyler isnt open, he can break the pocket and pick up a few yards (maybe score) or that he has an outlet in the flat.

Play Design
How good is the play design? DK is celebrating as Tyler is still going to the ground with the ball. Shane designed a 8 yard envelope for Geno and Tyler to work his 1v1 matchup. Perfect Iso. And the players on offense know its working and believe in it 100%.

Sure, much of the sport is a mental game - managing emotions, keeping an even keel... not getting overconfident, maintaining your preparation, etc. Those things are dependent upon an individual committing themselves endlessly to their craft and taking nothing for granted. We dont yet know how Geno will handle his succcess and the spotlight that's now on him. Will the playoff stage be too big? Would his composure break in a championship game? That, you cant know until he's in that situation, but the wk1 win against the Donks was a reasonable tell as to how he takes the entire world measuring him and his performance.

OR ... how he will handle situations where maybe things dont go well for a game or two (he acquited himself VERY well against the Cards after the pick 6, so thats a good sign).

But from an X's and O's perspective... from a pure Qb'ing perspective... he's shown plenty enough that he knows the game and how to play it at a very high level. If he continues to prepare the way he has and he has the supporting cast that he does and Shane working with him, I think he will only get better.

How good is the play design? DK is celebrating as Tyler is still going to the ground with the ball. Shane designed a 8 yard envelope for Geno and Tyler to work his 1v1 matchup. Perfect Iso. And the players on offense know its working and believe in it 100%.

Last edited:

94Smith

Reaction score
He is very good. But a QB can not elevate a team in a vacuum in my opinion. Make no mistake your offensive line is really really good at allowing time for him. The two tackles you drafted have been key in the success this year. I was counting his time in the pocket and there are numerous times he has 3 seconds plus. Plus the Seahawks have excellent receivers. Add in excellent run blocking and a back that is churning out yards giving manageable 3rd downs and it is a recipe for success. Finally play calling is great. The cardinals were totally outcoached that last game. How many times did they leak the TE out into the flat for the easy completion and 15 yards!

We know Stafford and Brady are franchise QBs but they are suffering this year with poor offensive line play. Both teams can not run the ball and do not pass block well. Stafford does not have a quick release so they scheme up short passes. Brady has a quick release and the Bucs offense does ok.

Rodgers does not have receiving talent and they are inexperienced. Guys are not getting open and are running the wrong routes.

Geno is accurate, mobile, smart with the ball , great deep ball as well. He is doing great.

Mick063

Reaction score
Spins the ball as well as anybody. He will be even better in post season. Dude is playing for his retirement setup. You can't diminish the importance of that.

Rainger

Reaction score
Spins the ball as well as anybody. He will be even better in post season. Dude is playing for his retirement setup. You can't diminish the importance of that.
Couldn't disagree more. Geno has been slighted for 10 Years. Geno is playing for himself and team to be everything he thought he could be but never got a proper opportunity.

I don't believe he is about a pay check at all. It is all about vindication.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
If you are evaluating him based purely off of wins and losses or TDs to Ints... pure stats, i can see how you may feel as though the he needs to prove more. But if you watch what he's doing, play by play, how he's moving safeties, the accuracy with which he's placing passes and how solid his reads are... those things translate whether hes playing the no 1 defense in the league or the no 32 unit. That's why all the hand wringing and 'prove it' talk last year when he lit up the Jags was misplaced. When you watched the film, it didnt matter WHO he was playing because WHAT he was doing was 100% correct, play to play, read to read, and throw to throw. He did the same kind of things in that game that he's doing now against stiffer talent and teams that are 100% preparing for him every week and it doesnt matter.

An example of just how good the dude is playing - on his first TD toss to DK, DK starts inside and then turns out to the corner of the endzone. He has a 1/2 step on Hamilton and Geno COULD have tried to lead him to the corner and give him a ball to high point. Instead, just as DK turns to face the LOS, Geno gives him the ball INSIDE - an easier completion and one the defender cant see coming. DK recognizes the ball, stops his corner route, catches the ball, basically standing still, taps his toes... TD. A simple example of how the QB throws his wr open, leading him to the spot that gives him the highest percentage chance to make the grab, recognizing the advantage the WR has over the CB, in a moment the WR cant possibly know whether he's actually open or not.

But Geno's performance isnt even solely about HIS ability. When you look at the way Shane is making his job easier, through play design and mixing up looks... even in the most stressed situations and against defenses that are more stout, the guy will STILL have as good an advantage as one could ask for. On Geno's 2nd TD, the play, right off the bat is designed to go to Tyler. The route concepts are designed to get Tyler isolated against the Safety. At the snap, Geno can pretty clearly see what the coverage is showing and who the D's man responsibilities are. Its a simple read and toss where the play does the work for him. The D is committed to doubling DK. Eskridge and DK run an out and an in respectively, creating a simple one-on-one between Tyler and Baker -Tyler wins that 110% of the time. TD. And given the 4 man rush, Geno also knows that if Tyler isnt open, he can break the pocket and pick up a few yards (maybe score) or that he has an outlet in the flat.

Sure, much of the sport is a mental game - managing emotions, keeping an even keel... not getting overconfident, maintaining your preparation, etc. Those things are dependent upon an individual committing themselves endlessly to their craft and taking nothing for granted. We dont yet know how Geno will handle his succcess and the spotlight that's now on him. Will the playoff stage be too big? Would his composure break in a championship game? That, you cant know until he's in that situation, but the wk1 win against the Donks was a reasonable tell as to how he takes the entire world measuring him and his performance.

OR ... how he will handle situations where maybe things dont go well for a game or two (he acquited himself VERY well against the Cards after the pick 6, so thats a good sign).

But from an X's and O's perspective... from a pure Qb'ing perspective... he's shown plenty enough that he knows the game and how to play it at a very high level. If he continues to prepare the way he has and he has the supporting cast that he does and Shane working with him, I think he will only get better.
The one thing that Geno has in his corner is that Pete Carroll has seen just about every situation imaginable. How a QB should deal with success, how a QB should deal with adversity along with everything in between.

Like you said Waldron is a brilliant OC that makes his job easier. Geno has the talent around him, now all he has to do is exicute his preparation i just want to see him do it against KC the Niners and the Rams. Clearly in the last 2 games we have seen how he deals with adversity after throwing picks... total domination!

I want to see how Geno reacts to being down in a game and bringing his team back from a deficit. So far he has been playing from a lead

You can clearly see his confidance level growing by leaps and bounds.

Its going to be an interesting finish to this season. Can Geno finish the season with the consistancy he has shown in the last 4 games?

I think the whole team have things to prove and they are proving it week end and week out.

This has been a hell of a season and its fun to watch

Mick063

Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more. Geno has been slighted for 10 Years. Geno is playing for himself and team to be everything he thought he could be but never got a proper opportunity.

I don't believe he is about a pay check at all. It is all about vindication.
Geno would play for free to be fully vindicated. Tell me. What is the threshold for vindication? Does he have to win the Super Bowl? Win MVP? Permanently get the starting job? Play in the pro bowl? At what point does he become disappointed if he hasn't met this vindication criteria? Is he even close to it yet? Is he in for a big potential letdown because the bar is too high? Explain this vindication to me because apparently, a nice retirement is NOT vindication. So, I need enlightened.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Sorry did your question deal with salary. Must have missed. It. No I don't want them to pay top 10 money. Draft a QB but Geno will be good for a few Yeats on reasonable contract

A few Yeats?

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Seattle to be born?

W.B.Y. appears to be concerned about somebody's age. It might be Carroll, or it might be Smith. Checkitout:
I

That is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, osprey in the trees,
—Those dying generations—at their song,
The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,
Fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long
Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
Caught in that sensual music all neglect
Monuments of unageing intellect.

II

An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing ["SEA" - "HAWKS!"]
For every tatter in its mortal dress,
Nor is there passing school but studying
Monuments of its own magnificence;
And therefore I've sailed the seas and come 'round
To the holy city on Puget Sound.

I know it was just a typo, but it's funny to me. I'm a math-and-science nerd, but I used to be a literature nerd too. Sorry (not very sorry). Back to football now.

Rainger

Reaction score
A few Yeats?

W.B.Y. appears to be concerned about somebody's age. It might be Carroll, or it might be Smith. Checkitout:

I know it was just a typo, but it's funny to me. I'm a math-and-science nerd, but I used to be a literature nerd too. Sorry (not very sorry). Back to football now.
wow what ever floats your boat. sorry I wasn't more precise for you with my typing on a phone while watching something else.
You must have one boring life when you need to find fun in someone hitting a t next to the r on a ******* phone. with my big fingers.

Man this is why I cant stand social media.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

The one thing that Geno has in his corner is that Pete Carroll has seen just about every situation imaginable. How a QB should deal with success, how a QB should deal with adversity along with everything in between.

Like you said Waldron is a brilliant OC that makes his job easier. Geno has the talent around him, now all he has to do is exicute his preparation i just want to see him do it against KC the Niners and the Rams. Clearly in the last 2 games we have seen how he deals with adversity after throwing picks... total domination!

I want to see how Geno reacts to being down in a game and bringing his team back from a deficit. So far he has been playing from a lead

You can clearly see his confidance level growing by leaps and bounds.

Its going to be an interesting finish to this season. Can Geno finish the season with the consistancy he has shown in the last 4 games?

I think the whole team have things to prove and they are proving it week end and week out.

This has been a hell of a season and its fun t