Votes: 17 13.9%

• Total voters

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":1qhknbdt said:
mrt144":1qhknbdt said:
Seymour":1qhknbdt said:
Sgt. Largent":1qhknbdt said:
While I agree, Pete and John paid Russell the first time around, what makes you think they wouldn't do it again?

Because again, the alternative is for them to go on another search for a franchise QB, develop that QB and hope it works out..........all while they're also on the last couple years of their deal, and Pete's 67 years old.

Your math is right Seymour, but as a franchise you have to have a successful alternative/gameplan if you're not going to extend your franchise QB.

Wilson has shown his ceiling now, where as on his rookie deal it was still relatively unknown for one. For another, all GM's need to think long and hard now as the QB is taking a higher % of the cap than ever. Yes, the cap has gone up, but the QB salaries have gone up even more the last 2 years.

I don't think "Pete wouldn't do it". I just think he may be questioning it or has at least lowered the rate further below Rodgers possibly.

Hypothetically, let's say RW leaves and eclipses his prior performances. I don't care whether you think this is likely or not. Just indulge me.

What would your first thought be in this hypothetical?

I actually think that WOULD happen under many conditions. My first thought on that is coaching and roster limited his effectiveness, and I already believe that anyway. When I said we've seen his ceiling, I mean under Pete he has found it. A change of use and philosophy could raise it again.

Okay, we're on the same page there then. Part of me knows it's super dubious and selfish to simply want to keep a player to keep him out of the hands of another team but...It would be demoralizing to see him succeed for the Niners (and I'm just using them because of the Division and having a ton of cap space and an injured JG) in ways we didn't think possible.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
He's a good QB. You pay good QB's the going rate. He'll be the top of his pay scale when his contract is renewed and by the end of the contract he'll be a bargain again.

I'm not sure you can say there are many QB's that are as consistent as Wilson year in and year out. Dude is like Rivers. He plays in every game. He consistently plays at a high level with few stinkers no matter the situation. Gotta pay guys like that.

I'm not sure what is wrong with most of you? Do you really think it's ever in a FO best interest to not sign a franchise QB and take a shot on the lottery that is draft day? That's about as sure a way to get fired as any for GM or HC. It's like spending all your retirement savings on lottery tickets. Much smarter to stick with a known quantity.

In the annals of NFL history, how many teams have let a franchise QB walk away in his prime and been better for it?
The Chargers come closest and even they weren't better off, but at least they got a good QB to replace Brees. So it wasn't a total failure.

As for Seahawks history, we let Krieg walk just past his prime and sucked until Warren Moon came to town. We let Hass walk past his prime and sucked until Wilson came.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":294jrbfe said:
He's a good QB. You pay good QB's the going rate. He'll be the top of his pay scale when his contract is renewed and by the end of the contract he'll be a bargain again.

I'm not sure you can say there are many QB's that are as consistent as Wilson year in and year out. Dude is like Rivers. He plays in every game. He consistently plays at a high level with few stinkers no matter the situation. Gotta pay guys like that.

I'm not sure what is wrong with most of you? Do you really think it's ever in a FO best interest to not sign a franchise QB and take a shot on the lottery that is draft day? That's about as sure a way to get fired as any for GM or HC. It's like spending all your retirement savings on lottery tickets. Much smarter to stick with a known quantity.

In the annals of NFL history, how many teams have let a franchise QB walk away in his prime and been better for it?
The Chargers come closest and even they weren't better off, but at least they got a good QB to replace Brees. So it wasn't a total failure.

As for Seahawks history, we let Krieg walk just past his prime and sucked until Warren Moon came to town. We let Hass walk past his prime and sucked until Wilson came.

I can't speak for others, but I'm a crack baby myself. :twisted:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":3667x56s said:
Pete needs to build a #1 defense paired with Russell Wilson, or Pete will be mediocre from here on out. They need pass rushers galore, that is all that matters at this point.

That's the thing, haven't Pete and John shown us this year that they can rebuild a great young defense again?

Our defense is further along that most people thought so far, so the formula of paying Russell and spending most draft capital on the defense can work again can't it?

It wasn't until we paid all the guys on the defense AGAIN that we got into trouble. SO IMO it's still doable with paying Russell. Pete's shown he still knows how to develop a defense.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2symjp87 said:

Precisely ^ , Pete knows that Wilson is the heart & soul of his Offense, he also knows that his Running Game is predicated on having a healthy Wilson to make it function to its optimum.
Without Wilson's threat, the Run game suffers, and to some degree, vice versa. (Wilson has pulled out a lot of wins without having any kind of Run Game), but it didn't happen without Wilson being unnecessarily beat the hell up.
What Pete & the Seahawks need to focus on now, is NOT go on the hunt for a Cheapie version of a Franchise Quarterback, but rather DO go on the hunt for finding a more durable Chris Carson type Running Back to compliment his Franchise Quarterback.
It's pretty simple really, just pay the man what his Market Value is.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":24g1lgzp said:
Mad Dog":24g1lgzp said:

Precisely ^ , Pete knows that Wilson is the heart & soul of his Offense, he also knows that his Running Game is predicated on having a healthy Wilson to make it function to its optimum.
Without Wilson's threat, the Run game suffers, and to some degree, vice versa. (Wilson has pulled out a lot of wins without having any kind of Run Game), but it didn't happen without Wilson being unnecessarily beat the hell up.
What Pete & the Seahawks need to focus on now, is NOT go on the hunt for a Cheapie version of a Franchise Quarterback, but rather DO go on the hunt for finding a more durable Chris Carson type Running Back to compliment his Franchise Quarterback.
It's pretty simple really, just pay the man what his Market Value is.

That is part of the problem in keeping Wilson here under Carroll too. Each year the RO threat diminishes a bit as he will begin slowing and injury concerns will rise in his 3rd contract. The less he runs (rushing stats way down this year) , the lessor the threat to help with the running game. That is one of the big pluses why in his 2nd contract he was more useful to Carroll. His 3rd contract that parameter will need to have a lower value for sure.

Atradees

Reaction score
Trade him for 4 first round picks and draft Hebert from Oregon. At that point, replace the staff and bring in key personnel that can draft evaluate.

pmedic920

Reaction score
You pay whatever top 5 QBs are getting at the time the negotiating starts.

Duh

Only exception would be, if he was willing to do what Brady does.
Take less to help the team because you don’t need it from the team.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The issue is not how good Wilson is. The issue is the overall result.

We are seeing that with this team, WITH Wilson and WITHOUT paying him $35M per year - we are basically a .500 team.

With Pete, Wilson's ceiling is basically the wildcard game win.

That is without the all everything defense.

Now, can you get another QB to get you to the same result even without all the great plays that Wilson does but more consistent performance at the normal stuff? I would expect so.

We can probably get the same .500 record with a 20M QB that we are getting with our soon to be 35M QB. So he is worth 20M because that is the value he provides. Once he cost 10M more and we start to lose key players because of that - he is worth even less.

With another coach would he be worth 35M? Almost assuredly. But paying him 35M and stripping the team to reach .500? There are plenty of other less costly ways to reach .500 that do not involve paying your QB 35M a year.

As the best player on the team on an offensively oriented team he would be worth it, and I think he would be that. But on a Carroll run first team propped up by a better than average D? Not really.

We will almost assuredly pay the 35M and we will probably circle .500 for years because of that. But he isn't worth it on this team with this coach because he the amount he makes the team better with his ability will be offset by the amount he makes it worse by stripping it of talent/FAs/spend.

One of the problems with keeping Carroll in the first place was that without his all-everything defense he was never going to get the value out of Wilson other coaches might have.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":y06m04ja said:

Duh

Only exception would be, if he was willing to do what Brady does.
Take less to help the team because you don’t need it from the team.

I can't see Russ doing this, Brady's on what his 4th or 5th contract, has a net worth of 180M, has earned almost 200M over 18 years.......and oh btw has a wife with a net worth of 360M. So not really fair to expect Russell to just take less before he's made anything close to these crazy numbers.

So yes, you want to extend Russ, you give him top 5 money and more guaranteed than Rodgers just got.......or whoever the next top 10 QB to sign an extension gets.

Fade

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hg3t664 said:
Fade":3hg3t664 said:
Pete needs to build a #1 defense paired with Russell Wilson, or Pete will be mediocre from here on out. They need pass rushers galore, that is all that matters at this point.

That's the thing, haven't Pete and John shown us this year that they can rebuild a great young defense again?

Our defense is further along that most people thought so far, so the formula of paying Russell and spending most draft capital on the defense can work again can't it?

It wasn't until we paid all the guys on the defense AGAIN that we got into trouble. SO IMO it's still doable with paying Russell. Pete's shown he still knows how to develop a defense.

Yes, he does. I stated the plan can work, but they need an elite defense for it to fully work. They have a top 10 defense now
and they are 4-4. Mediocre. Have to get to that #1 defense mark, or continue to be a .500 team. Pass rush is what they need.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Look at the Pack. Erin has a massive contract, but they are under .500. Gotta' have the other pieces around your QB.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":ij9mk0gp said:

Duh

This.

I find the 'he's a good, not great QB' arguments to be total garbage. Not because they may well be right. I tend to agree to an extent (although I think he is better than good -- but also don't think he's great).

What is garbage is the implied notion that you can simply get a good QB with relative ease. This is absurdly not the case. Even in today's NFL where first round caliber QBs seem to come in twos and threes at least every other year.

The real answer to this question isn't 'Is Wilson worth it?'. It's how will we replace him with that good QB?

Here are the drafts of this past decade. I've eliminated any QB picked in the top 4 overall. One, because this team is not going to be that bad in the foreseeable future. Two because even bad teams can still end up out of the top 4. So here goes:

Day 1 picks:

View attachment 2

Day 2 picks:

View attachment 1

Day 3 picks:

Looking at the QBs, the odds of getting a QB even of Jake Locker's 'goodness' is pitifully bad. Even in the 5th to 32nd overall range, it's pretty bad. And not every draft even has guys worthy of that range to begin with. Which probably accounts for why you get Christian Ponders and Paxton Lynchs being drafted in R1 even though they aren't worthy.

Day 2 QBs is an even worse lot to pull from. Without a doubt, Wilson is the best QB to come from day 2 this entire decade. It's not really that close. And there is essentially Andy Dalton standing alone as a good QB from the 21 players picked in this range for this decade.

Day 3. Well it's just a real mess.

The real question isn't is Wilson worth the cash. The real question is how many draft picks would a team have to expend in order to just get a guy as good as Ryan Tannehill. Even if we never traded up -- just kept drafting QBs every single year until we got lucky on one -- one could be looking at 2-3 first round picks, 3-4 2nd to third round picks and maybe in excess of 10 day 3 picks. Over the course of 5-7 years. Because those are kind of the odds.

Even despite the fact that college seems to be producing higher quality QBs at a better overall rate -- that is far from certain. The last two drafts may have been outliers. This current years' rookies still have time to flame out in classic Rick Mirer fashion.

If a team could just buy a first round pick for 10m in cap space, we'd think that a no brainer. Keeping a very good QB is like getting a first and a third for that 10m (figure a 'good' QB is going to cost 22-23m on the open market). In the scheme of what is the alternative going to look like and what will that cost in terms of draft capital the question seems remarkably absurd.

You can't simply buy a franchise QB. The opportunity is exceptionally rare and almost always very fleeting. You can more often buy QBs who used to be good (Flacco, Bortles etc.) Those will cost about 20m on the open market. Bradford as bad as he is cost that plus multiple 1st round picks.

The ONLY way to part with Wilson, is if you spend years and high draft capital on QBs even when you have Wilson on the roster. And then be fortunate enough to have him hit (Kansas City's exact model duplicated this year by Baltimore). It's why I hoped to high heaven that we drafted Lamar Jackson this draft. How often do you get to draft the most explosive player in the entire draft?

If we're going to replace Wilson, it's going to assuredly be a multi year effort. Spending high draft picks on gooberish looking QB prospects. Hoping one of them pops. Leaving holes left unfilled by design in the process.

mrt144

Reaction score
I hope someone shows up to say "we did it 7 years ago, why not again" so you can flay them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I thought we was waiting till off season to do this..Good stuff on here though and I see some
not being so closed minded as when this stuff was being discussed before the season.I just
wonder if the next QB is already here..(Mcgoo)
I will post something later in thread..Go Hawks!!!

TreeRon

Reaction score
mrt144":2ykjmnoq said:
Seymour":2ykjmnoq said:
Sgt. Largent":2ykjmnoq said:
Seymour":2ykjmnoq said:
The key to me is Pete. If you pay your QB $34M + (even over 30M really), then you need to support him with enough weapons and protection to get your $$ worth out of him. If you don't, you wasted your $$ because this is like running your Ferrari on re-tread or bald tires.
I don't think Pete will do that as defense is his #1 priority. So under Pete he has a fixed lessor value IMO.

While I agree, Pete and John paid Russell the first time around, what makes you think they wouldn't do it again?

Because again, the alternative is for them to go on another search for a franchise QB, develop that QB and hope it works out..........all while they're also on the last couple years of their deal, and Pete's 67 years old.

Your math is right Seymour, but as a franchise you have to have a successful alternative/gameplan if you're not going to extend your franchise QB.

Wilson has shown his ceiling now, where as on his rookie deal it was still relatively unknown for one. For another, all GM's need to think long and hard now as the QB is taking a higher % of the cap than ever. Yes, the cap has gone up, but the QB salaries have gone up even more the last 2 years.

I don't think "Pete wouldn't do it". I just think he may be questioning it or has at least lowered the rate further below Rodgers possibly.

Hypothetically, let's say RW leaves and eclipses his prior performances. I don't care whether you think this is likely or not. Just indulge me.

What would your first thought be in this hypothetical?

If Seattle is dumb enough to trade him and we're right back into the scenario of mediocrity that existed for so many years, I'll find something else to do on Sundays.

poly1274

Reaction score
RW has lost so much speed. He isn't elite anymore.

Gets sacks too often. Holding the ball too long. And can't run out of pocket to gain yardage when everything is covered.

If seattle is going run heavy with 3 backs, the price to pay is 15mill for a QB that's average Joe.

D

DomeHawk

I said it in an earlier thread that I think the Chargers will make a hard play for him to replace Philip Rivers. I also think that RW will be receptive to it because:

1. He will be seeking new challenges

2. He already spends much of his off season there training

3. He is established down there with his wife being part of the entertainment industry

D

DomeHawk

poly1274":bd6fhpvg said:
RW has lost so much speed. He isn't elite anymore.

He may have lost some speed but he certainly hasn't "lost so much speed." That just doesn't happen at age 29 unless you have sustained significant injuries.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
30-34 Million on a 5 year deal will look cheap in just a few years. just like his 20Mil looks now.