• $20-$26M

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Trade him -- I'll take my chances to replace him

Votes: 17 13.9%

• Total voters

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1xhf6t5e said:
Pete Carroll is not capable of winning another Super Bowl with Wilson. Carroll has mismanaged his offenses to a negligent degree while he has been head coach here. His offense just isn't a good fit for the modern day NFL. I'm not talking about the "run first mentality" either -- I'm speaking more about passing concepts, and overall usage of the route trees. Our passing game seems to only work properly when we have a run game installed --- that is because it is predicated on stretching defenses vertically, and banking on teams selling out for the run. Sometimes we go away from that style, but it seems as if we always recommit to that style of passing game. A 30 million dollar plus QB here is a waste of resources and potential.

I think Wilson is good, but I don't think we're ever going to see more from him under Carroll. What we see is what we're going to get. The only difference is the team will become more hamstrung from signing such a deal. I just look at teams like the Packers that always pay out the yin yang for guys like Rodgers, and I see how the team has a tough time being legitimately competitive. They aren't able to retain talent, nor are they able to spend much in the free agency. All of this considering that Rodgers is better than Wilson, in an objectively superior offensive scheme. I'd rather gamble and see if I could catch lightening in a jar again. I don't think that happens with Wilson under Pete Carroll.

I'm thinking that Pete Carroll MAY be thinking the same thing regarding devoting such a large portion of the contract to one player. Lots of criticism directed Wilson's way, more so than in years past by Pete Carroll. Jon Schneider also personally attended the workout of Josh Allen. That is kind of an odd move that prompted questions from Wilson's agent. This, to me doesn't seem normal. Of course, I'm probably off base on the last part here. I just think the way Carroll, and Schneider are doing things here raise a few questions.
:roll: BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!! (pauses for another deep intake of air) BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!
"Cancel That Mead"

acer1240

Reaction score
Popeyejones":42nihjcr said:
Seymour":42nihjcr said:
It is not all that difficult. Wilson can only get good enough pass protection when the team is running PERIOD. If we get behind and have to throw, the Oline cannot pass protect, not even this year!! Look at games 1 and 2 for evidence of this. Wilson the 1st 2 weeks was the most sacked QB in the NFL. Weeks 3 on he is the least because we started running and Dlines could not T-off on him.
Protection is also improving, but his entire career it's been bottom 10 in the league.
That is why, not on Wilson 100%. He doesn't have the horses to pull it off. Now that Cable is gone it may improve enough to thrive also.

Well, I mean, yeah, a QB can only get sacked on plays when they're throwing the ball -- so the same offense throwing 40x a game is going to give up twice as many sacks as they would throwing 20 times a game.

And I know we might have to agree to disagree, but even though the players and coaches keep changing, Wilson's "protection" is bottom and has been across his entire career because he creates a TON of sacks for himself.

On The Athletic this week Sam Gold clipped and went through each of Wilson's sacks (i'd link but it's behind their paywall). If you watch the coaches film three of the four were entirely on Wilson.

It's why the 49ers have one of the worst pass blocking lines in the league whenever CJ Beathard plays, and a pretty good pass blocking line whenever anyone who isn't CJ Beathard plays (week 2 of this year excluded, when Jimmy G took a ton of sacks which were almost all on him).

It's why the Colts went from having one of the best pass blocking O-lines in the league until the day Peyton Manning went down, and then were suddenly "awful" at pass blocking. it's why the Broncos didn't have a good pass blocking O-line until the day Manning started playing for them, and they went back to being "bad" again when he retired.

You've been killing it lately Popeye. I 100% agree with your assessment.

The Wilson debate is a tough one and I'm not sure what I would do. He's top 10 for sure but only when he's not throwing 35+ per game.

The system Pete is running does not necessarily need a top 10 QB to be successful imho.