How Seahawks fixed early run D issue vs Rams

renofox

Reaction score
tldr; started game not covering C-gap, Rams kept running through C-gap, changed scheme to cover C-gap.

Q: WTF KIND OF SCHEME ARE THE SEAHAWKS RUNNING THAT ALWAYS LEAVES C-GAP UNNACCOUNTED FOR? WHO ACTUALLY DESIGNS A SCHEME LIKE THIS?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Question regarding that whole KJ segment. When they were talking about "the incident" re Harvin was the pre Super Bowl punch to Golden Tate they were talking about or something else. I wasn't sure cause I thought that happened in NY a few days before the Super Bowl but they seemed to talk about it happening in Seattle. Or were there another incident?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks gave up 171 yards rushing to the Rams. Doesn't seem to me much was improved. The Raiders held the Rams to 71 yards rushing total last night.

Hopefully the Seahawks do a better job this Sunday vs. Panthers.

Last edited:

hawks85

Reaction score
The Seahawks gave up 171 yards rushing to the Rams. Doesn't seem to me much was improved. The Raiders held the Rams to 71 yards rushing total last night.

They better do something to fix that god damn Run D if they wanna make a deep post season run. If they don't do something they won't make the playoffs, and if they do happen to make the playoffs without some kind of fix etc...for the Run D, then they'll be one and done.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
KJ's key remark was that there is no such thing as a perfect defense.

Every defense has it's vulnerabilities.

The defensive adjustment KJ describe in the Rams game is an example of the necessity of making adjustments.

A reflection of the game within the game between dueling coordinators.

I look forward to more to come.

These are, indeed, the best of times!

sc85sis

Reaction score
Question regarding that whole KJ segment. When they were talking about "the incident" re Harvin was the pre Super Bowl punch to Golden Tate they were talking about or something else. I wasn't sure cause I thought that happened in NY a few days before the Super Bowl but they seemed to talk about it happening in Seattle. Or were there another incident?
There were rumors that Percy refused to go back into a handful of games during his time with the Hawks and that he was bad-mouthing Russ to the rest of the team. Then when he was traded, the team found out just as they were getting on the bus to go to a game, and Marshawn almost didn't get on the team bus because he was upset about it.

Smellyman

Reaction score

They had a good game plan. The RBs did not do damage against Seattle. It was Wolford and two WRs doing the damage on bootlegs and jet sweeps. mostly on Irvin's side who refused to play sound football.

Didn't listen to KJ segment

keasley45

Reaction score
The vid posted in this thread explains a ton. Things aren't always as they seem (ie Barton playing poorly ).

Well worth the time it takes to watch.

I think the D will be fine once they get the players to understand and communicate better. It really is a matter of a mistake here or there in a defense meant to be variable and adaptable to the run or pass.

seahawks08

Reaction score
tldr; started game not covering C-gap, Rams kept running through C-gap, changed scheme to cover C-gap.

Q: WTF KIND OF SCHEME ARE THE SEAHAWKS RUNNING THAT ALWAYS LEAVES C-GAP UNNACCOUNTED FOR? WHO ACTUALLY DESIGNS A SCHEME LIKE THIS?
Clint Hurst

keasley45

Reaction score

Where did you get that the defense left the C gap unaccounted for. In every defense, there's a strength and a weakness. A good o coordinator can find ways to exploit that weakness. And a defense with players still adjusting to a sceme that requires a high degree of communication is more susceptible to having moments when it's own unforced errors get it burned.

Nothing was left anaccounted for. It was a simple matter of the Rams manipulating the board in a way that gave them leverage against our weak link.

As the defense gets more experience, those weaknesses will become much more difficult to exploit.

I think lost in all of this is the desire on PCs and the D staffs part to innovate a defensive approach. The LOB defense was hailed for its simplicity, but it was made simple and adaptable by smart players who communicated well to assure each guy was where he needed to be. The scheme itself and responsibilities within it weren't necessarily simple. It was made to look that way in the fluidity with which it was executed.

It seems Pete, Hurtt and the staff are engineering the next evolution of that defense and its simply a matter of the players grasping every possible variation of its execution.

Steep learning curve, but once it clicks, great results.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They had a good game plan. The RBs did not do damage against Seattle. It was Wolford and two WRs doing the damage on bootlegs and jet sweeps. mostly on Irvin's side who refused to play sound football.

Didn't listen to KJ segment
It doesn't matter to me how a team gets their rushing totals. The fact the Seahawks as a defense gave up 171 yards rushing in the game is unacceptable.

I did hear KJ's segment and his points are great but they still played poorly against the run in the Rams game.

Whether its the RBs, QB, or WR, it doesn't matter. The Seahawks are giving up 155.3 yards rushing per game (on the avg). That is horrific and we're in week 14 of the season. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-rushing-yards-per-game

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
It's the details behind the numbers that are most helpful. That's why player interviews and film studies are so essential for understanding.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Would like to see rushing stat splits for first and second half. Would tell us if the adjustments helped. They gave up 105 to the two RBs, the other 66 yards were to the sweeps and the QB. Still not good and the Raiders did a much better job shutting down the fly sweeps, but not every team has a freak like Crosby. Guy is amazing.

Latest posts