How worried are you about the inconsistent offense?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Ostatehawk":23nesoxa said:
Any word on when those two guys will return? Unger especially.....

No update since the game, but the word was that Unger could at least possibly go all the way until he was scratched before gametime. Gotta think two more weeks gets him back on the field.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DavidSeven":16avbk1w said:
This exact offense just broke the franchise record for total offense in a single 9game. That's more yards than any Mike Holmgren team ever put up in any single game.

As of last week, we were the #4 rated offense in DVOA. That's ahead of New England (#5). That's ahead of Dallas (#6).

We finished the season #9 in total yardage. Again, that is ahead of the Patriots (#11).

On a per-drive basis, we were #9 in yards-per-drive (34.25). Just behind Indy (34.26) and, once again, ahead of NE (34.03). We are the best team in the NFL in turnovers/drive and INT/drive. We are #3 in T.O.P. per drive. We are #8 in points per drive.

Every single metric that matters has this team as a top 10 offense. Show me one that doesn't.

FIRE BEVELL

Seriously, though, I think that undercurrent of thought around here really causes people to diminish Seattle's accomplishments because they don't get 7 on every drive. Of which that tacit belief is a constant factor on .net, as if there isn't another team on the field ever.

White Devil

Reaction score
sutz":i70a0w2g said:
Not too worried. We were playing some of the best defenses in the league in Dec, and teams that play us twice a year and know us well.

I think we'll be fine.

This.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":312mrokm said:
The Ram's pass rush would make any offensive line look silly.
Yeah, and smart teams formulate an offensive game plan around compensating for that where possible, like having the QB get rid of the ball quickly a lot and having receivers run shorter routes.

Every time we play the Rams, it's like Bevell just keeps thinking "This time, we'll have decent pass pro against that ferocious Rams D-line!"

SMH.

Largent80

Reaction score
Did you not see December last year?

The offense had so many ??????????, that almost everyone picked us to lose every game.

In December this year, the opposite. It is not inconsistent. Give credit to the Rams defense, they always play us tough.

Color me, not worried in the tiniest bit.

bandiger

Reaction score
No, more worried about how much of a downgrade special teams has done this season from last epic season. I really miss Tate's game breaking punt returns compared to Walters or whoever else gets the duty.

Chawks1

Reaction score
I am VERY concerned about our offense. At least until our defense takes the field. Then all is good.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
As long as the defense remains consistent, and the offense can at the very least take care of the ball. I think this team is very capable of winning all their upcoming games. As others have said, what did the Rams game in was the turnovers in the first half. If the hawks entered 6-6 into the second half, I think the game changes where instead of a 4th quarter destruction, it would be a second half destruction.

What also gives me faith is that this Seahawks offense also looked inconsistent going into the playoffs last year and we saw how that played out. I think what we gotta remember is that they are playing NFCW defenses in the final quarter of the regular season. Which means 2 things, the defense is going to look even better, and the offense is going to look worse. In the playoffs assuming it's not against the Cardinals. The offense is going to suddenly look better, and the defense is going to be giving up a few more plays than usual since they will be going against stronger offenses (Dallas, GB, Detroit come to mind and potentially the Patriots).

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Our defense is awesome which takes care of our offense in a lot of ways..The offense doesn't have to be great..Matchups will vary and affect the offense more and less at times..We just don't match up with the Rams very well
is all..We get every teams best effort because we are the CHAMPS but we handle them well as our record speaks for itself..We was sluggish with numerous injuries to key players early and had Harvin messing with the offense..Those problems are gone now..We may have injuries here and there but the key guys are healthy pretty much ..We got Unger coming back and over a week of rest ...Home field ..Gee why the negative nancy's??We are fine and we are going to repeat!!You heard it from me...There is nobody tougher that we haven't played already..Dallas?ha ha 2 straight in our house ain't happening with a healthy defense..Their defense is banged up pretty good..I'll take our smash mouth offense over that overated America team..

Largent80

Reaction score
The Seahawks offense, perceived as the team’s weak link, actually ranks ninth in the league in total yards, up from 18th a year ago. They are gaining 36 more yards per game than the 2013 squad,

OrFan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3rtr4meh said:
Not worried one bit. They start out slow, and adjust and do their thing in the 2nd half.

Exactly. This team has always been a second half team.

A divisional game against the Sheep is always ugly, but the Hawks did what they needed to do. In the end it is points scored vs points allowed that matters. When the points are scored, or how many yards gained means nothing. I have never seen a team win 350 yards to 240 yards.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Our offense is good, we play a good Rams defense. They adjusted from last time we played them when Russell had a 300 yard passing 100 yard running game. Also our play-calling was conservative this time around.

chris98251

Reaction score
We went ultra conservative last year in December as well, not sure why they want to put the lid on the playbook, but come playoffs we start doing stuff we have not seen much, saw a couple plays against the Rams, slants when do we ever run slants?

I get the feeling we open it up a lot more when it's money time and make people have to really wonder what the hell is going to happen, Lynch, Wilson, Richardson, Baldwin, Norwood and I think our TE's will be involved also. Just hope Willson gets some Fred Biletnikoff Coaching or maybe a deal on Stickum.

41e42532331e352d680ae23b8ccf06a6

Optimus25

Reaction score
Its strange for me. I'm only worried when we are bigtime favorites, especially like yesterday. Yesterday felt a little like santa clara game 2, and in both instances we were heavily, heavily favored. For some reason there's a lot of stiffness in the o line in these circumstances, but in games where we play say a denver, green bay, or a red hot philly team, we just look smooth on offense. Granted st louis is a top tier defense, but the feeling in the air just wasnt that of an offense in rhythm, until p rich's catch.

sc85sis

Reaction score
For a little while yesterday the game felt an awful lot like the Chiefs game. We were dominating yet it didn't show up in the score. The difference was that we couldn't score in the red zone in KC and yesterday we had turnover issues. Realizing that actually made me feel better during halftime; I felt there was a much greater chance of eliminating the dumb turnovers than trying to fix a red zone problem in ten minutes.

And so it was.

Mick063

Reaction score
Week to week message board concern trolls worry more than the offense.

There is not a defensive line like the Rams, Chiefs, or Bills left in the playoffs. Detroit D-line? Eddie Lacy shredded them and so will Murray. Cardinals D-line? Their offense can't seal the deal. Broncos? Bronco fans have been complaining about the productivity of Ware and Miller lately.

The big difference between last year and this year is that the defense hasn't scored as much, or taken the ball away to give the offense great field position as much, as well as a punt returner that is only good for a fair catch. In other words, the starting field position isn't as typically good and leaves the reality of an offense that isn't as productive with respect to points. It seems as though the defense is starting to make those plays again. Irvin's last return, Thomas hacking the ball out for a touchback. Those are the things that were missing earlier in the season. Time for Bennett and Avril to start delivering some strip sacks.

Otherwise, you wouldn't know the difference from last year's championship run. Indeed, the offense looked worse against Arizona and St. Louis last season. Much worse.

253hawk

Reaction score
In our final 6 games, every team we faced had a top 10 DVOA defense and we still put up a ton of yards (averaging 392 per game in that span.)

Our own defense...zero points allowed in the 4th quarter in all of those games.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A lot of fluke plays in that first half. Lynch fumble. Willson missing a sure first down right in his hands. Wilson having that lane for a first down and they botch the fake hand off etc. Overthrow on Richardson on yet another sure first down. Just a bunch of bad luck over and over. That's why I wasn't worried at all.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I'm not too worried. This was an Milton Berle game. We'll be fine in the playoffs.

Latest posts