Hugh Millen sounding off this Morning

OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Pete Carroll just came on 710 and reiterated the same thing. The route on the final play should have been adjusted but Russell took too long to make the protection calls and had no time left to change the route. This is all on Russ. Millen is correct as substantiated by Holmgren and now Pete.

Largent80

Reaction score
It was pretty easy to see that Wilson was running the play as it was called. I knew as soon as he threw it the game was over, way too much arc.

I HATE that play as much as a slant but I have to admit, with that much room to throw the slant, it was there for the taking.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
For heaven sake...not another slant route controversy.

Russell drives us to the final play and with a few seconds left throws a pass slightly high but is caught out of bounds.
He threw a potential game winner...All would be good had Kearse been in bounds.
Yet Russell is to blame for not audibling to a slant play that their defense could adjust to and bust up before the goalline....with no time left?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Why always the dramatic final drive when this team should be in control most of the game?

Where are your SPARQ kings making plays like the one double pass for 43 yards. Where is your end around or wildcat with guys like Tanner and Boykin.
Give Russ a changeup please...

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
You must have a great eye then, from the minute it left his hand you knew it was going to miss by one toe touch. Anyone remember Santonio Holmes's td in the SB. Sometimes the play is made by mere inches. Wether you like the play or not it was literally inches away from perfection. Remember the fade to Crabtree.... One finger tip away from disaster. What would this place be like if the Hawks were to lose by 20 lol

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
endzorn":1oliavub said:
Everyone knows that as soon as Millen made the "eat my microphone" comment it automatically made all .NETters more qualified as football analysts. His analysis is littered with examples of him being wrong, unlike people here who have never been proven wrong when they say things like "I've said from the beginning this would happen" or "I knew so-and-so would do this." Stupid Millen. I bet he thinks just because he played years of professional football and sat in on countless meetings that he knows more than people who have NFL rewind and know exactly what's happening. KJR are dummy.

Or maybe none of your sarcastic post is right and people just don't want to listen to someone pontificating about glorious hindsight?

Krieg's list

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3epaw95h said:
endzorn":3epaw95h said:
Everyone knows that as soon as Millen made the "eat my microphone" comment it automatically made all .NETters more qualified as football analysts. His analysis is littered with examples of him being wrong, unlike people here who have never been proven wrong when they say things like "I've said from the beginning this would happen" or "I knew so-and-so would do this." Stupid Millen. I bet he thinks just because he played years of professional football and sat in on countless meetings that he knows more than people who have NFL rewind and know exactly what's happening. KJR are dummy.

Or maybe none of your sarcastic post is right and people just don't want to listen to someone pontificating about glorious hindsight?

For our sake, I sure hope Russell Wilson isn't one of those people. I suspect he'd like to learn and improve rather than deny any faults. But feel free to continue to white knight for him if it somehow makes you feel better... even though he doesn't need it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":7gtcbkk0 said:
If he had the grasp of the game that he pretends to, he'd have been an all time QB, and gone into coaching.

C'mon, lots of great players weren't cut out to coach..........and lots of mediocre players have made great coaches.

These two things aren't connected at all.

Now Millen to me is the human equivalent of watching paint dry...........but him not being a great NFL QB has nothing to do with his football IQ.

davidonmi

Reaction score
He might be right here, but hugh millen is a joke.

As has already been mentioned, Lake really made him sound dumb on saturday

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ludakrishna":13wprftn said:
He's quickly becoming my favorite analyst on radio due to him having the cahones to call things as they are.

On the last play, he says that if Russ audibles to a slant, it's an easy touchdown and win for us. Is Russ afraid to throw the slant to win a game?

"Appallingly bad football by the Seahawks. NO tried to hand the game to Seattle on a silver platter & the Hawks didnt take it." - Hugh Millen
If Wilson were, Hasselbeck, Jake Locker, or Jack Browning (all guys I love) Millen's tune would be different.
Those guys could do no wrong in his eyes, and it was always someone else's fault when they screwed up.

Hugh is still bitter Russ proved him dead wrong.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qvoeafh said:
The_Z_Man":1qvoeafh said:
If he had the grasp of the game that he pretends to, he'd have been an all time QB, and gone into coaching.

C'mon, lots of great players weren't cut out to coach..........and lots of mediocre players have made great coaches.

These two things aren't connected at all.

Now Millen to me is the human equivalent of watching paint dry...........but him not being a great NFL QB has nothing to do with his football IQ.

Dilfer is also a great analyst, but wasn't a great QB.

You can understand the game and grasp it just fine. Now do it with 300 lb guys running at you full speed and get it all right in under 3 seconds. Then throw in athleticism on top of being smart. Some guys can't process it quick enough, but can analyze tape all day long.

mikeak

Reaction score
The problem with the play selected is that it has to be thrown early. This means that there is ONLY one possible play and you either make it or not.

A different play has multiple options on the receivers and based on what players do the QB can revise based on his reads.

The real issue happens at 1.12 on the clock. Seattle gets a 1st down decides to change out players and take forever to get a play done and ends up basically running 40 secs off the clock and gets 4 yards and an incomplete. Either a quick slant there / spike the ball and the clock is not a significant factor.

chris98251

Reaction score
The real point is we should not have had to depend on that play I think, throwing short of the End zone with no time was riskier then a catch or penalty on the defense in the End zone. Why they don't have a bunch formation play with Graham, McEvoy and Kearse they can use is perplexing. That kind of play with their height and a rub would get space and one of those guys open easily on the goal line and have the back side slant with Baldwin as a second read.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Lob to the corner of the end zone, has that play ever been done?

There was nothing wrong with the call, Wilson overthrew it by a yard (yard/half). Simple as that. Bye the way that safety in the OP's picture was not out of position as it shows in a still photo pre snap. If you watch the highlights of the game he was in a perfect position to annihilate a slant route.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
ludakrishna":r4ogakja said:
drewba":r4ogakja said:
Mike Holmgren is on KJR now and agrees with Hugh that the play should have been audibled to a slant based on the pre-snap alignment and that it would have been an almost certain touchdown.

Per fans on this site even Holmgren may not be qualified enough for them.
Truth bomb.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Krieg's list":3gf73yum said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3gf73yum said:
endzorn":3gf73yum said:

For our sake, I sure hope Russell Wilson isn't one of those people. I suspect he'd like to learn and improve rather than deny any faults. But feel free to continue to white knight for him if it somehow makes you feel better... even though he doesn't need it.

LOL. Nobody is white knighting for Wilson. I just think it's a bit silly to accuse people of thinking they know more than Millen because they don't automatically want to listen to someone going on about 'what they should've done'. We can all sit here and say they should do this or that. Wilson is savvy enough to learn from every game he ever plays. If he didn't make the play this time, he's still hugely in credit since 2012.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hugh Millen is Charlie Whitehurst minus the cool beard and with a worse TD to Interception ratio than CBJ.
I cannot stand Millen and I'm a huge UW fan.

lobohawk

Reaction score
ludakrishna":3ly924p5 said:
Pete Carroll just came on 710 and reiterated the same thing. The route on the final play should have been adjusted but Russell took too long to make the protection calls and had no time left to change the route. This is all on Russ. Millen is correct as substantiated by Holmgren and now Pete.

That wasn't exactly Pete's take. He said the time it took for the protections to be set and the D to reveal themselves, left Russell perceiving he didnt have time to change the routes. He didn't say he took too long. Was he too slow? Can't say, because I wasn't behind the center. And I can't see the whole play with playclock from the huddle on. But you do see the safety shift late.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hugh Millen is a QB that believes he was shafted by the NFL and should have been a starter, he thinks of himself as a celebrity and more then one Host has left KJR due to his screaming tirades and demands, he thinks of himself as the so called expert simply because he has been in the NFL and played for a Power College program.

He is trying to be the Mitch in the Morning who also has been known as a douchebag in the afternoon, He is NEVER EVER WRONG also.

His college stats at the UW.

Millen started 17 of the 20 games he appeared in for the Huskies, throwing for 2,657 yards, 11 touchdowns and 23 interceptions.

In the NFL, he was drafted 3rd round and was injured and felt he never got a real shot to be the Starter, Jim Everett was brought in and he was history, he then played for the Falcons and Patriots next in meaningful games and once again was not given the job.

NFL career

TD–INT:
22–35
Passing yards:
QB Rating:

Based on his statistics and play one could argue that he has somewhat a higher opinion of himself then he has shown and his judgement of others and what they should do is somewhat skewed doing analysis of their ability to play.

I will give him credit for the X and O's portion of things, but it is also easy to say a player should have been doing this or something else after the fact. None of us were on the filed and dealing with juggleing all the situations at that time.

I will say that of every player at every position played every play exactly right on every play would we have 32 teams at 16 - 0 at the end of the season?

It's this small variance of execution that separates teams, players that take given situations and their coaches and learn and adapt improve and make the right call or execute better in a like circumstance in the future.

Also, Bevell's offense over 5 years has been pretty lack luster inside the 10 yard line, that's even with a better line and Lynch, I think with all of the observations we have done that this is a trend and pretty much a benchmark of him as our OC during that period that has yet to be resolved.