Question About Watching Our Hawks on TV

RiverDog

Reaction score
Back in the 70's-80's and when the Hawks were on TV, I would turn down the volume of the TV set and turn on the local radio broadcast. They weren't quite in sync, with the radio broadcast being maybe a second ahead of the TV, but it wasn't so great as to make it unwatchable. There were a number of advantages to watching the game in this fashion, especially for the novice trying to learn about the game as radio is much more descriptive as they have to paint a picture for their listening audience. Pete Gross was the play-by-play announcer, and he was fantastic, giving a good, clear description quickly but not so fast as to sound like an auctioneer. His descriptions would go something like this:

"I formation behind Kreig with Turner split wide to the left and Blades split right, Largent slot left. Krieg over center, Largent starts in motion left to right through the formation...."

Since the radio announcers did exclusively Hawk games and traveled with the team, they had a lot more insight relative to the Seahawks that they could share with the audience. In addition, they were obviously biased towards the Hawks, which created a lot more excitement, hearing Gross in his high-pitched voice scream "Touchdown, Seahawks!"

For the past 20-30 years, I've tried to watch Hawk games in this manner, but the radio broadcast is WAY ahead of even the over-the-air TV signal, worse if you're watching via cable, satellite, or internet streaming, making it impossible to watch it using this method.

Does anyone know of a way to sync a TV signal with that of a radio broadcast?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I don’t know how to get the tv and radio broadcasts but your post did bring back memories of when I was living in Boston I would watch the Celtics on tv a with the sound off and listen to the radio broadcast the announcer was a man in his 60s named Johnny Most who had a very distinct voice sounding like he has been drinking bourbon and smoking cigars since the age of 10. As the pace of the game got quicker he would be talking faster there was always the expectation he would let out a few F bombs on air, it was very funny how 1 sided he was for the Celtics treating the opponent as they were the spawn of satan he especially had a distaste for the Lakers

Reaction score
If you were somehow able to get a digital stream of the Seahawks PxP radio broadcast (via phone app, computer, tablet, etc.), you can just pause the PxP stream until the tv catches up, then resume the stream. I think some folks have done it on here, but I don't recall what app or what trickeration is required to make it happen (apps and streams often "blackout" the stream if you're outside a certain area).

Palmegranite

Reaction score
You could go to your local music store and buy an analog audio delay that has 6-10 seconds of delay (should work for OTA but may still be too short of a delay to match your cable provider.)

Then take the audio line out of your Radio into the audio delay and the output of the audio delay to your stereo system.

Voila! Synced audio...

Last edited:

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Being on the East Coast it is rare to see the Hawks on regular TV. I watch most games on the PC and that is limited on it's options. When the Hawks are on regular TV, be it prime time or Sunday afternoon, I will put the SiriusXM Hawks broadcast on with Raible and sync the TV broadcast by pausing the live feed on FIOs. It usually takes a few plays to get close but then I just tweak it to get it perfect. The timing is proven when the Ref speaks on a penalty. The time difference between Sat radio and TV is usually about 2-5 minutes.

Definitely better than any TV commentators.

Riverdog, you brought back memories here as well. Before John Miller went to do play-by-play for the SF Giants and ESPN he was the radio guy for the Orioles. He was always very insightful and he would explode with emotion during the most exciting moments. Raible reminds me of the way John Miller called games.